Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Survival & Sustenance Living Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   Lazy mans fire ! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/lazy-mans-fire-83322/)

dango 02-04-2013 01:31 AM

Lazy mans fire !

As we know , there are many ways to start a fire! A shoe string can be made into a "BOW" vs "Hand Twisting" , a piece of "ICE" can be made into "LENS" !

Consider this:A piece of discarded trash , a clear glass bottle or even a broken bottle as long as the bottom isn't broken !
1-Gather fuel for starter , twigs , kindling , etc. !
2-Shove three sticks with little branches into the ground ,(TRI-POD), to rest the bottom of glass.By observation , one will notice it's a magnifying glass.The trick is to adjust twigs just so to get the best sun-light beam through lens.
3-Best beam established , you then lay your fuel(wood , twigs , etc.) under the beam !
4-Time passes while you relax and do nothing and you will notice the starter fuel begins to smoke an ember!
5-blow the "Ember" into flame and have enough fuel to keep a fire .!

HOPE THIS HELPS..! :)

hiwall 02-04-2013 11:35 AM

Have you personally used this method to start a fire?

hmh 02-04-2013 12:20 PM

I have tried something similar. The problem I had was the sun moves in the sky and shifts the point of impact. Ergo no fire. I now always have a bic in my pocket.

BillM 02-04-2013 12:23 PM

Golly Dango, you want to knock out a little youtube video for us of
just how easy this method is? I kinda sorta think you are jerkin' our
chain----please prove me wrong.:)

dango 02-04-2013 01:45 PM

Hello,this is Debo,Dan's wife. He said to change starter to note book paper,something with lower flash point,whatever that.

I seen him do this alots of times and he call you bonehead. LOL I'll call him later
and keep crazy man alive .

nitestalker 02-04-2013 02:24 PM

Using Ice and broken bottles to start a fire while you relax? I have to wonder if you have ever really been cold?:confused:

dango 02-04-2013 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitestalker (Post 1123484)
Using Ice and broken bottles to start a fire while you relax? I have to wonder if you have ever really been cold?:confused:

As you speak ,my crazy man is out in a tent on skis some place.?
It is 17 on the thermo thing and I will let him anwser this himself some day?

I will call him at 7 he will laugh.

dango 02-04-2013 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitestalker (Post 1123484)

I would absolutely LOVE to share some of my tails of adventure ,but found I'M MET
with SCRUTINY and DIS-BELIEF.! I also don't feel the need to "Vindicate" anything ..! I'm a solo-ist and don't do this for the sake of others..!

Back to fire thing ! Find something with a lower flash point.! News paper , note book paper , (Not magazines)Fiz stick ,(a piece of pine peeled with pocket knife) , etc..

I've been doing this exact thing since I was a child and it does work under "Optimal" conditions.!

Optimal Conditions: Clear day , perfect beam , low flash point fuel.
So's , your saying BS , OK then........! :) :confused:

Hiwall , I have done this exact thing 100,s of times !

dango 02-04-2013 06:49 PM

Way back when I was but a boy , I read a book called , "How To Survive In the Wildness". It was written by a retired Royal Canadian Mount-y , Name of
(something-Townsend) as I recall. Many, if not all of the things I read do work in the field..!
That was one bad MO FO..! Search and find this book , a very good read !
I was 9 when I read it and read it 6 times..!

I am 60 now and have tried successfully many things..!:)

dango 02-04-2013 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillM (Post 1123384)
Golly Dango, you want to knock out a little youtube video for us of
just how easy this method is? I kinda sorta think you are jerkin' our
chain----please prove me wrong.:)

You guys are spoiled ? Back in the day , before cell-phones , PC,s , GPS,s etc. !

I had to Actually get up , go to Library or order books via "Pony-express !

Then , I would start researching the Year before any major adventure !
I then would have to send off for (Topographical Grid Maps ) to research just what I was getting myself into ! Weather trends , Geo. all things I needed to know what gear do I need to be there ! It usually took about 6 weeks to get these maps and they cost about $2.50 a grid , some times I would need ten grids to cover entire area !
Compass , watch , maps , altimeter with barometer , binoculars and a whole lot of research..!<All mentioned are "Analog" no batteries !
You want videos ? So did I......! :D