Large Knife or Hatchet? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Large Knife or Hatchet?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2011, 03:44 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

A small saw is worth it's weight. A hatchet would be most useful for splitting wood. A saw is far lighter and better for cutting wood, falling trees, splitting a large carcass, etc. I heart my large bowie, even if a hatchet is a better choice I can't part with it.

Old 09-15-2011, 04:10 AM   #22
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8322 Times on 4809 Posts
Likes Given: 10792

I always have a half dozen Corona 22" machetes around and I would not bug out without one. They are kept razor sharp. This is absolutely critical. Never use a machete, axe, splitting maul, hoe, pickaxe or many knives out of the box. I will carefully sharpen every tool I have to a razor edge (angles depend on the tool) before I try using it.

I believe that Rex may have been trying to use a hatchet that had not been properly sharpened, given his description. I also use a blade similar to the "corn knife" he describes and mine are scary sharp, especially when compared to how we get them from the supplier. I once filleted the skin off the back of my hand with one of our "corn knives" and didn't feel a thing, it is that sharp.

This brings up the importance of having sharpening tools. Pack a double-sided stone from any manufacturer (river rocks might work, but they won't work very well in place of a proper stone). The most important edge finishing tool is the steel. I use old machetes or knife blades as my finishing steel.

If you take an out-of-the-box machete or axe it is a dull as daytime TV. Using an unsharpened implement as a cutting tool is like beating things with a broomstick in my opinion. Don't underestimate this.

I would also have one of the several pocket knives I have at any given time. I always have a Leatherman on my belt, 24/7 (sometimes my belt is on the floor by the bed).

Old 09-15-2011, 04:14 AM   #23

OK, Ideally my Corona machete would have a saw-back. It does not. I might experiment with making one into a saw-back. Or I might get one that has a saw-back already. Hmm.

Old 09-15-2011, 04:19 AM   #24
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1333 Times on 698 Posts
Likes Given: 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
I always have a half dozen Corona 22" machetes around and I would not bug out without one. They are kept razor sharp. This is absolutely critical. Never use a machete, axe, splitting maul, hoe, pickaxe or many knives out of the box. I will carefully sharpen every tool I have to a razor edge (angles depend on the tool) before I try using it.

I believe that Rex may have been trying to use a hatchet that had not been properly sharpened, given his description. I also use a blade similar to the "corn knife" he describes and mine are scary sharp, especially when compared to how we get them from the supplier. I once filleted the skin off the back of my hand with one of our "corn knives" and didn't feel a thing, it is that sharp.

This brings up the importance of having sharpening tools. Pack a double-sided stone from any manufacturer (river rocks might work, but they won't work very well in place of a proper stone). The most important edge finishing tool is the steel. I use old machetes or knife blades as my finishing steel.

If you take an out-of-the-box machete or axe it is a dull as daytime TV. Using an unsharpened implement as a cutting tool is like beating things with a broomstick in my opinion. Don't underestimate this.

I would also have one of the several pocket knives I have at any given time. I always have a Leatherman on my belt, 24/7 (sometimes my belt is on the floor by the bed).
Vikingdad, this is spot on! Nothing is shipped from the factory sharp enough to use. files, stones and oil and the ability to properly use them are more than necessary if you are going to have blades as part of your kit.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 09-15-2011, 04:34 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post
Vikingdad, this is spot on! Nothing is shipped from the factory sharp enough to use. files, stones and oil and the ability to properly use them are more than necessary if you are going to have blades as part of your kit.
Actually, there are a few blades that you can buy that are reasonably sharp from the factory. They may not be as sharp as they could be, but they are usable. A smooth steel is usually needed to get the keen edge I prefer.

I may be crazy, but I seriously sharpen my hoe several times a day (just with a file, not the stone and steel). Same with my maddox or pickaxe. My workers spend a lot of time sharpening their tools and I am happy to pay them for that time. The spend less time and effort working with sharp tools in the long run. We sharpen the chainsaws every single time we gas them up, if not more often if needed. A dull cutting tool is not only a hazard it makes the work more difficult.