Large Knife or Hatchet? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Large Knife or Hatchet?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2011, 04:40 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 718 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Read the book "Hatchet". its a survival story.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:38 AM   #12
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

I've got a small hatchet in my BOB as well as a full-size KA-BAR. The hatchet is better for cutting branches and small trees and works well as a hammer, too. Any time you can consolidate two or more tools into one tool, do it.

Old 09-14-2011, 03:47 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Both if i have room. If not ill go with the knife.

Old 09-14-2011, 04:28 PM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I would do both. The 1 1/2 lbs it adds will be worth it in the long run. Cutting bones on large animals, wood cutting, hammering. My choice is a Gransfors-Bruks Hunter, I don't see them on the web site any more. I bought mine at a sporting goods store in Durango Colorado a few years ago. In choosing now I would go with the Gransfors wildlife hatchet 1st. The Hand Hatchet or the mini Belt hatchet 2nd. They will quickly become razor sharp. great help in skinning a animal too. Few things are worth the extra cost but I think the ax and knife are tools worth buying the best you can get.

Old 09-14-2011, 06:52 PM   #15

Liked 76 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Weekend at Arctic Beach & bored kids & willows.

Kids were getting stir crazy so loaded up the crew and headed out to the outdoors with a corn knife and a small camp hatchet, I thought the kids could use some nylon cord I had along to make Bush Bows in the field.
the Hatchet kinda knaws off green wood the Cornknife's very thin deep blade bit deep and cut quick on green wood up to 3" with faster results than the hatchet, the cornknife was faster to sharpen using a rock off the beach than the hatchet, even with a latherman file it took a bit to get the dull hatchet sharp and we quit trying as they had more fun fashioning ther bows useing the cornknife (blunt tipped machete with thinner blade)
I think a sharp Bowie type camp knife would be a better option the only real advantage the hatchet had was hammering (rock did just as good there all over) and splitting wood (corn knife with rock to back the blade did that too)
ther Bush bows turned out pretty good for green wood, ther arrows were poor as we hadent suitable saplings or reeds, We'd have had to split a large (3"-4" trunk) piece of wood to get shaft splits but would have been labor intensive, shaveing them round
Was thinking of making a fire drill (need suitable socket) next weekend or a stone axe from slect beach stones.

Last edited by Rex in OTZ; 09-14-2011 at 06:55 PM.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:17 PM   #16

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Depends on the extremeness of the circumstances. If I'm just out camping, a hatchet is a good tool. If I'm evading, I want the least weight possible, and I can do everything with a knife that I can a hatchet, even if more slowly.

That is, unless you are planning to just keep your small EDC knife on you, and then add the hatchet. But I wouldn't personally bother rolling around with a 7" survival knife AND a hatchet, if I knew my survival depended on my ability to move as quickly as possible, OR my ability to carry my pantry, my kitchen, my armory, my toolshed, and my hospital on me.

Not that I'm weak, and am actually pretty athletic, but I agree every pound adds up. I could easily imagine an additional 10lbs making the difference between me being able to easily clear a 6' fence or not. Yeah, I could get over it with probably 60lbs on my back, but I could dive over it with under 20lbs on my back.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:29 PM   #17
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6563 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

I'm with c3 on the machete. That one from the Ontario knife company looks nice. They also have a saw back version of it too.

Old 09-15-2011, 12:19 AM   #18

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall
Read the book "Hatchet". its a survival story.
Watch the movie "Hatchet". It's a...the opposite of survival story. :P

Your taste buds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!

Old 09-15-2011, 12:45 AM   #19

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 159

Himalayan kukri

"THE SIERRA JUST HOTEL TANGO FOXTROT -OVER"

MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

Old 09-15-2011, 01:34 AM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1232 Times on 794 Posts
Likes Given: 2485

I’m leaning more and more to a large knife or machete rather than a hatchet (a small sharp knife is a given no matter what). I do a lot of metal detecting in the deep woods and I carry a light pack with me when I do. That pack starts getting heavy after a few hours (along with the metal detector, spade, and a few other digging tools). That has made me aware of just how important weight is, especially when on the move. And that’s just a light pack for a day in the woods. I have a pretty good idea what a heavy pack with the necessities for several days would feel like.

I also keep thinking back to when I was kid running loose in the woods. Absolutely nothing got more use than a 7 ½” K-Bar I always carried. It was my multi tool and it chopped, hacked, and hammered just about everything. But I did get some serious use out of a few machetes. That’s the sort of tool I want when my choices are limited, and my choices would be limited because of weight. I can see kukri or Bowie filling that roll.

I’ll definitely keep a hatchet, or maybe an axe, in the truck. It’s hard to beat an axe when serious chopping is required. Ironically I just remembered a few hatchets I’ve already got somewhere in the shed that I found while metal detecting (and 7 or 8 axe heads). But if it ever came down to being on foot for an unknown length of time, I think I would have to lose the hatchet and stick with the large knife.

Thanks for the comments.