Large Knife or Hatchet?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Large Knife or Hatchet?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2011, 01:22 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1218 Times on 785 Posts
Likes Given: 2455

Default Large Knife or Hatchet?

I’ve been trying to decide between a large knife or a hatchet for my BOB. I would have both in the truck but I would have to cut down on weight if I were on foot. Being on foot means sticking with the bare essentials, and for me that’s a large knife.
At the moment I can’t ever remember thinking “I’m glad I had a hatchet”. So I’m curious if anyone thinks a hatchet is an absolute necessity or if anyone prefers it to a large knife?

Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-14-2011, 02:04 AM   #2

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

I prefer both and they both have their specific uses.

Just how much weight do you think having both a large knife and a hatchet in your BOB is going to weigh you down?

I think the small amount of weight would most likely go unnoticed, especially in a real SHTF scenario, once the adrenaline kicks in.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 09-14-2011, 02:05 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

For camping, I usually have the Vaughn rigging axe, but sometimes the Vaughn roofing hatchet. I always have the KaBar Becker Bowie. The axe or hatchet stay in camp. The Bowie is on my belt. It will handle most tasks I may run into on the trail.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-14-2011, 02:17 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1218 Times on 785 Posts
Likes Given: 2455

Default Weight Adds Up

It's not that one or the other weighs that much. The problem is that weight adds up. A small sharp skinning knife is a must. Now add the weight of that small skinning knife to a hatchet and a large knife and the weight is starting to add up, and that's just cutting/chopping tools. I think of a hatchet as nice to have but not a necessity when I've got a large knife. Therefore it can be eliminated in place of something more useful such as extra rope or clothing.

I'm just trying to figure out how important a hatchet is when it comes down to absolute necessities.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:22 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8836 Times on 3824 Posts
Likes Given: 1366

Ontario Knife company machete. No, not that cheap Chinese bit of crap from Harbor Freight. This one-

ontario-knife-company-1-18-machete.jpg

That is a 1-18, carbon steel, 18 inches long, runs about $22 bucks. Will split a deer. cut small trees, harvest firewood, repel boarders, and holds an edge.

Ontario Knife Company 6144 1-18 in. Military Machete at OutdoorPros.com

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:29 AM   #6

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
I'm just trying to figure out how important a hatchet is when it comes down to absolute necessities.
Chopping down trees and cutting wood for a fire

Chopping or cutting or digging through snow & ice

Used as a hammer or pounding tool

Defense weapon against predators and can be thrown if needed

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 09-14-2011, 02:33 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I'd go for the hatchet and a smaller knife (such as a Mora). I have lots of larger knives, but when I'm camping I use the Mora very often to cut everything from rope to meat to onions and garlic. If I'm lucky enough to catch a nice perch or snapper, the smaller knife is good for cleaning them.. Not quite as handy as a fillet knife, but way better than trying to use one of those thick, rigid survival knives such as the LMFII.. As to the hatchet, it really gets old splitting wood with a knife and a stick. Hatchets work great with coconuts, make a decent hammer versus a knife, can be sharpened on a rock and still be effective, can get through a door faster than a knife, and the song was "Careful With That *Axe*, Eugene"

Old 09-14-2011, 03:24 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I would also say a Hatchet. It doesnt seem as needed for firewood but if you had to build an emergency shelter it would be a huge help, plus it doubles as a hammer. I always have a knife, a machete in a sheeth on the side of my pack and going to have a hatchet in it. I am thinking a Gerber due to their lighter weight and good edge.

Old 09-14-2011, 04:00 AM   #9

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

I am partial to the Cold Steel Kukri machete.

Old 09-14-2011, 04:36 AM   #10
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1971 Times on 1067 Posts
Likes Given: 586

Hatchet and small skinning knife gets my vote. Another very useful tool is a sharpening steel with a chisel tip made by Schrade.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."