Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Survival & Sustenance Living Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   Kids playing with guns... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/kids-playing-guns-2661/)

stomach9 11-24-2007 10:50 AM

Kids playing with guns...

My girlfriend and I were sitting in the back of her truck in front of her home last week around 10 pm when we had a kid pull a pistol on us and pull the trigger.

A white car drove by us, then made a u-turn and turned off it's lights while it crept towards the front of us. My instant reaction was to reach for my 45 GAP I had strapped inside my shirt which is what I did but I did not draw my weapon. I was thinking, "who does that anymore, turn their lights off?"

I had a feeling that this was some joke being played by some kids and it turned out it was but these kids had a gun pointed at me. It was dark and before I realized it was actually a gun he pulled the trigger but it was empty, they just drove off laughing.

I didn't get a plate but the make and model which I did pass along to the police, they told me I was the third person that night who called about these kids. Afterwards I was just so upset with myself, I went over what happened over and over in my head. It wasn't fear that stopped me from drawing my weapon but I can't figure out why I froze like that. I was in my right to draw and fire, there was a gun pointed at my face.

I was thinking that if I did shoot some kid was going to loose his life because he and his friends thought it would be funny to try and scare random people. Someone was going to loose their son or brother because of stupidity. And you know I wouldn't have regretted doing it for one second, only for the loss of life but not for defending my self and someone else.

I just want to hear what you guys think about this. Have you ever been in a situation like this and froze the way I did? What kind of advice would you offer and what else did I do wrong? I know I wont allow someone to get a chance to get a shot off again.

hillbilly68 11-24-2007 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stomach9 (Post 12066)
And you know I wouldn't have regretted doing it for one second, only for the loss of life but not for defending my self and someone else.

I bet you would have regretted it. If you had drawn, if you had fired, if you had hit and killed the kid, you would have found out through the investigation that the gun wasn't loaded (or maybe not even real). Yes, you had every right to drop the hammer on the punk, no question about it. Guarantee that the county prosecutor would not have even given you a second thought. Count yourself lucky that you didn't, but even luckier that he didn't have a more criminal intent.

Stay on top of the story, bet if the cops tell the parents that they drew down on a CCW holder that was armed, the sh**bird will never go out again at night. That is if the parents give a care:rolleyes: .

I would count myself lucky, don't second guess what you did. You made the right decision based on the outcome. That doesn't mean not to AAR yourself and wargame for the next time whatever it may be. Just don't beat yourself up over this. I will bet you a cold one that you did more evaluation than you give yourself credit for during that split second when you saw what was happening. I bet if you really think about it, the indicators were there and your little voice told you not to draw and shoot.

good luck, let us know what comes of it, would be interesting to see (the 5Ws on the kids and the incident)
regards

mrwatch 11-24-2007 02:11 PM

re gun

It would have been a tough decision for me if I had time to react. Did he snap it before you reached inside of the shirt. Maybe it was a dud shell or the gun was broken and he did not know it. Most likely I would have droped a dime on him.
While I have the floor, in Grand Rapids, Mich. a few weeks ago a photo store owner heard a man breaking in. He lived in the back. He accosted the owner who shot and killed him. The districk attorney ruled it self defense.
Last Sunday an 8 year old boy found his grandfathers 38 and shot his six year old sister in the stomach. She remains in critical condition. So what? His grand father is a firearms instructor and has a CCW. The gun was not locked up nor safely out of reach.
Bob

stomach9 11-26-2007 02:47 PM

I appreciate your comments, that makes a lot of sense. To answer mrwatch’s question, I gripped my Glock as the car made the quick u-turn and turned off it’s lights. I’ve followed up on the case but there has not been any developments.

You expect to see this kind of thing in the neighborhood I live in but my gf’s area has always been pretty low in crime.

Chuck 11-26-2007 05:48 PM

The kid was competing for first place for this year's Darwin Awards.

Tex in Maine 12-22-2007 08:08 AM

I agree 100% with hillbilly. I work in emergency medicine and sometimes life altering descisions have to be made in a split second. Many times after a difficult call I will replay it over and over in my mind to see if there was anything I may have missed or should have done differently. I think it is just human nature to second guess ourselves. I know I do my best to provide the best possible care I can for my patients, but afterwards there is still that annoying little voice of doubt. I give him some time then I tell him to buzz off, everything turned out fine so move on to the next thing.

WILDCATT 12-24-2007 12:50 AM

confrontation

I would not have been so lenient with him. however you did right and survived.I would have pulled and made him lay down and called police.as another he my get ideas from that and the next one may not be so lucky:mad: :(

billdeserthills 01-04-2008 06:05 AM

I just want to hear what you guys think about this. Have you ever been in a situation like this and froze the way I did? What kind of advice would you offer and what else did I do wrong? I know I wont allow someone to get a chance to get a shot off again.[/QUOTE]

Freeze Up,
Last few times I was in a split second decision like yours (remotely)I had the same experience.`I remember one time I watched a carload of drunken Mexicans smash into my new van, all I could do was say "that's just great", meanwhile my girlfriend who is 15 years older than I am was off, chasing these guys down the street while I'm stuck on the phone with 911!
After reviewing these "freeze up" situations over in my head, I can only conclude that I just don't have that split second response that my girly has, then again she is always half-cocked and I try to be more relaxed.

Righteous 01-04-2008 11:21 PM

would have aimed for there tires soon as I knew what was happening as they were leaving without a doubt, one way or another they gonna have a reminder of meeting me

mbaha 03-05-2008 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stomach9 (Post 12066)
My girlfriend and I were sitting in the back of her truck in front of her home last week around 10 pm when we had a kid pull a pistol on us and pull the trigger.

A white car drove by us, then made a u-turn and turned off it's lights while it crept towards the front of us. My instant reaction was to reach for my 45 GAP I had strapped inside my shirt which is what I did but I did not draw my weapon. I was thinking, "who does that anymore, turn their lights off?"

I had a feeling that this was some joke being played by some kids and it turned out it was but these kids had a gun pointed at me. It was dark and before I realized it was actually a gun he pulled the trigger but it was empty, they just drove off laughing.

I didn't get a plate but the make and model which I did pass along to the police, they told me I was the third person that night who called about these kids. Afterwards I was just so upset with myself, I went over what happened over and over in my head. It wasn't fear that stopped me from drawing my weapon but I can't figure out why I froze like that. I was in my right to draw and fire, there was a gun pointed at my face.

I was thinking that if I did shoot some kid was going to loose his life because he and his friends thought it would be funny to try and scare random people. Someone was going to loose their son or brother because of stupidity. And you know I wouldn't have regretted doing it for one second, only for the loss of life but not for defending my self and someone else.

I just want to hear what you guys think about this. Have you ever been in a situation like this and froze the way I did? What kind of advice would you offer and what else did I do wrong? I know I wont allow someone to get a chance to get a shot off again.

This why we need gun control, not because of the kids but because of YOU. You were ready to start firing away at some kids with a toy gun.