Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Survival & Sustenance Living Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   Kerosene heaters & fuel life (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/kerosene-heaters-fuel-life-78566/)

StainlessSteel215 12-16-2012 02:38 AM

Kerosene heaters & fuel life

Just picked one up, new, 18k BTU, and was surprisingly hard to find around here in PA. Basically I wanted one for a heater source backup if we lost power, etc. I am sort of new to the world of kerosene heaters but obviously I know the basic runaround about how they operate, how to get the most out of the wick....and letting it burn out outside so black smoke doesnt fill up the house. I have (2) 5 gallon storage cans and wanna know if anyone knows the shelf life on kerosene. Basically, if I dont use all 10 gallons this winter.....and it sits in my garage...will it be good for next year?

Any other kerosene heater tips anyone has out there? Mucho appreciated

Birchhatchery 12-16-2012 12:32 PM

i run kerosene heaters we use to heat the house with them until it got so expensive my tip is burn CLEAR kerosene not pink its not a must but the heater will burn better hotter and longer and it wont destroy the wick as fast as far as storage of kerosene i have burned 2-5 year old kerosene kept in the garage in a steel barrel and it burnd just fine with no additives put in the kerosene my suggestin is find a steel barrel 25 gallon and store kero in it 5 gallons will only last 24 hrs of contiunis burn time id have a larger storage capacity if i was you

StainlessSteel215 12-16-2012 12:34 PM

Thanks man, good to know!

clr8ter 12-18-2012 12:20 AM

Who in the hell can afford to burn kerosene nowadays? Around here, it costs more than diesel & home heating......I wouldn't even know where to find a K1 pump.

c3shooter 12-18-2012 01:31 AM

What the man said- you are looking for K1 water clear kerosene. Sealed container, the less air in the container the better, you should be able to use for about 2 years. Like gasoline, kero oxidizes (reacts with oxygen in the air).

And while it may be pricy to burn, if you have no chimney, and are looking for a source of emergency backup heat- you do not have a lot of choices- and I applaud you for looking ahead.

clr8ter 12-18-2012 10:04 AM

ARE those wick heaters approved for use in an enclosed occupied space? I would hesitate to use one for that.

c3shooter 12-18-2012 10:41 AM

Yes, they are intended for use indoors, occupied.

kycol 12-18-2012 10:50 AM

We had an ice storm a few years back. We did not have power for almost 3 weeks. We not only stayed warm with the kerosine heater, we cooked with it and heated bath water. We took blankets and blocked off about 1/2 the house. At night I would turn the wick way down. We stretched 5 gallon to about 2 1/2 days.

StainlessSteel215 12-18-2012 01:59 PM

Great posts, thanks guys. Yeah I use the clear fuel only and as I said....this is strictly for backup heat only in an emergency. Next purchase will be a 7k watt generator but I dont have money for that right now. Kerosene is a great, clean burning fuel that as long as its burned properly and you understand how it works.....could save you in a pinch.

Birchhatchery 12-18-2012 10:07 PM

like i said we burned one in the living room and one in the bedroom and we heated our house with it now my shack is not very big but it did the job and i burn one in the small shed i have when i brood chicks in the winter as emergency heat when the power goes off and lamps go down