Keep ammo for all guns? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Keep ammo for all guns?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2009, 05:20 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by opaww View Post
If one has enough canned goods and dry goods stored you can always use it as barter goods for other things like more ammo...say for 20 rounds of 7.62x51 you get a can of pork and beans
This is very true, but what keeps you neighbor from firebombing your house after you steal his family's food at gunpoint? Also, if you just grease the whole family to get your chow, it will quickly create animosity among your other neighbors.

During bad times, it's best to have, at least, a few friends and those that live around you and already know you are most likely to be your closest allies.

I've got people that I want on my side in my neighborhood. One family is a LNP and an RN. Another is a dental hygienist. There's a heavy equipment operator. Another is a diesel mechanic. There is a veterinarian and vet tech. There are also loggers and general contractors. Many of them are veterans. Any and all of these people will be invaluable in hard times.

edit: I re-read your statement and understood it correctly this time through. I have a nasty head cold right now, my brain has shut down.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:40 PM   #22

Liked 2057 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

Thats ok I only got 2 brain cells left and one don't work

Old 01-16-2009, 03:47 PM   #23

Default I'm stocking .22 and 12 ga.

I'll tell you what.... When the situation comes to be that we need to pull out our inventory of extreme measures.... I don't think the SKS's ( I have a Russian SKS) and the .308's ( I also own) will be the calibers we'll need the most of. Don't get me wrong.... if the country is overrun and occupied I would be the first one out the door to take some well placed single round shots to better assist our country. But for the natural disasters, the crumbling of our economy, or wide spread long term power outages, or who knows what else, the cheaper to supply guns would be the best to have stocked up. Many deer have been taken with a .22 placed 2 inches below the ear!!! It also does well on turkey with the right shot placement..... and with the price of them you can afford to miss that little neck a time or two. You can bet my safe is stocked with thousands of rounds of these. You can stock 500 round bricks for just over $10. Another cheap and easily stocked round is the 12 ga. Target loads are easily picked up at your local Wally world (walmart) for $3 or $4 a box.

Sure your going to need protection ammo, 9mm is about the cheapest decent pistol round. I'll be carrying my Para Carry in .45, but those things are expensive to stock up on. I just hate to see these guys go out and spend thousands on these large rifle cartridges, 30-6, 308, 300, 243,..... and so on, when no one has the money in this economy to spend. Sure I'll have some ammo for all of my guns, but as far as stocking enough for live on for long periods of time I'll have a lot of .22 and 12 ga.

So that's what I would tell anyone asking the question "where do I start". Start with the basics, then if you can still afford the big boy toys.... go with extremely common cartridges. With that said.... make sure you have common calibered guns!!

Old 02-10-2009, 12:07 AM   #24

Without listing my "on hand" equipment, I would stock up on ammo for whatever you have to shoot it with. A unusable firearm is good for trading only (or a club if the situation arises). Also, a small generator, 6 months minumum of food for the number in you family plus 50%, fresh water supply, and bug out packs for each person. Currency (not dollar bills, but something that will always have value like gold, silver, nukes). If times turn real bad, just like the title at the top of this page "Are You Prepared?

The truth was always the truth, even before anyone figured it out. It always was and always will be.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:21 AM   #25

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

WOW, Mr. Kimber, I like the cut of your jib!
Bravado on forums is either stupid or misinformation.
Your comments speaks to truth.
Props Mr. Kimber!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-15-2009, 06:45 AM   #26

Thanks canebrake! It's survival of the fittest now. And to be prepared is the best defense. I prefere all of you to be well defended!

The truth was always the truth, even before anyone figured it out. It always was and always will be.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:18 AM   #27

yes.. you want ammo that is readily available, but has anyone been to the sporting section of walmart lately??? every time im there, I pop in the sporting section and i get the same reply...."were all sold out " or "all i have left is 2 boxes of .40s" ....when **** hits the fan everybody will be trying to get guns and ammo. The laws of supply and demand will drive your "common ammo" prices up and it wont be so common anymore....STOCK UP i sure as hell am while i can still afford it. I do agree with mrkimber.....22s and 12 gauges rounds are the most affordable.. on my budget i have managed to aquire 2000 22 lrs and 600 12 ga target loads my other guns are less stocked up but still enough ......hopefully.

Springfield XD-9 Subcompact
Taurus Model 605 .357 Mag
Kel-Tec P32
Ruger 10-22
Winchester 1300 Rifled Deer Slug (Tactical)
Saiga 7.62x39

Last edited by CodyWalkerJr; 02-24-2009 at 09:33 PM.

Old 04-13-2009, 02:57 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyWalkerJr View Post
yes.. you want ammo that is readily available, but has anyone been to the sporting section of walmart lately??? every time im there, I pop in the sporting section and i get the same reply...."were all sold out " or "all i have left is 2 boxes of .40s" ....when **** hits the fan everybody will be trying to get guns and ammo. The laws of supply and demand will drive your "common ammo" prices up and it wont be so common anymore....STOCK UP i sure as hell am while i can still afford it. I do agree with mrkimber.....22s and 12 gauges rounds are the most affordable.. on my budget i have managed to aquire 2000 22 lrs and 600 12 ga target loads my other guns are less stocked up but still enough ......hopefully.
Its threads like this that keep me coming back (so much so I just signed on as a supporting member),not only do I check wally world every time I go there I also check more than one,and I stop in at three different shops also.Wal mart has become so unpredictable more than half the time I leave empty handed.As for keeping stocked up I have 150 for the 20gauge (NEF pardner single),1/3 slugs 2/3 game loads,2000+ .22lr( Marlin 60),170 .223 rem(stevens 200) 500 9MM (Hi-Point 995)and 280 7.62x54R (M91/30 & m44). After reading this thread I think I'm going to start shopping for a 12 gauge,I'll keep the NEF but I think I want something that holds more than 1 round.

Tact;The ability to tell a man to go to he11 and make him feel happy to be on his way.

Last edited by flyingbrickracing; 04-13-2009 at 03:44 AM. Reason: "U"s and "A"s aren't interchangable,are they?

Old 04-13-2009, 03:42 AM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

There's been some changes since I last posted. I eliminated .308 and .223. I went to .30-06 and .30 carbine instead.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-16-2009, 11:34 PM   #30

Liked 76 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default maintaining a sufficent and varied stock of ammo is hard

I'd suggest the KISS principal be applied to ammunition, it would be better to stock just one rifle,shotgun and rimfire caliber and expand on different grain/style bullets and shot loads and types T shot,#4's, small game loads and slugs than maintaining rifle calibers of 7.62x39,.223,308,30-06, 30-30, 8mm,shot gun calibers of 10,12,16,20,28,410,9mm shotgun bore sizes the best bet would be since we live in america we use american inch sized ammo for rifles as the componets should be better to locate or salvage, 22-250 and 222 rem all use .224 dia bullets, 30 caliber rounds pulled from 300 winmag,30-30....maybe if loaded mild,308 all will feed the 30-06, trying to score .311 bullets in 165gr - 200gr are tough to locate in sufficent quantities, let alone any other metric ammo.

.30-06, 20ga and .22lr (shoot just fine in my .22 magnum revolver and singleshot rifle)

Last edited by Rex in OTZ; 04-16-2009 at 11:39 PM.