Keep ammo for all guns? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Keep ammo for all guns?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2009, 05:23 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwsfarm View Post
no sense in not being prepared, plus, may need to help out friends/neighbors, or trade for other items.

I also agree with dillinger on the food thing- be prepared, or get to know a farmer! there is not even close to enough wildlife to feed many for very long. even here in north dakota, i'm not counting on hunting to feed my family. sure it might work for a while, but there will be tons of urban hunters more desperate for meat than i will be, and if you are roughing it, where will you store it?

stock up the essentials, an easy source of protein is dry peas, greens or yellows, any dry beans such as pintos, blacks, navy beans, chickpeas, and lentils. by the way, I raise these, and would appreciate you buying some.

they aren't great tasting, but they provide hours of entertainment, and you can hide them in chili, soups, or anything spicy (go mexican). they are also very easy to store, in bulk.

I am a farmer, and have given this alot of thought myself. I have already established trades with ranchers, grains for meat. also in farm country, we are prepared to defend our livestock and grain storage facilities. there are a lot of guns out here. our walmarts even have empty gun cases. my advice is you will get more food with a white flag and a smile than you ever will through force.

survival is also going to be much more likely, if SHTF, through groups of people working together. if it gets really bad, i could see providing food/shelter for families if they are willing to protect the food i will be producing. I pray that it doesn't come to this, but i am prepared. if you are not from fly-over country, I feel that this is something you should consider.

if this SHTF thing doesn't happen, that would be great too. I will have gotten alot of cool toys out of the deal.
A few rodents or a small dog thrown in a pot with couple pounds of beans/peas, with some wild greens and wild onions or victory garden veggies will not only make a turd, but it'll provide the body with a good dose of protein and iron, and most other essential nutrients.

I keep a good assortment of dried legumes on hand. They're just the thing for dinner on those cold winter nights.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:33 PM   #12

Ammo for every gun? Yeah, I would do that. The reason is barter. I could easily trade a gun and 2 boxes of ammo for a doctors visit, prescription drugs, extra food, gas on a trip, etc. A gun alone, especially one with harder to find ammo, is going to be as useful as a brick.

Another issue, you might need to arm your closest neighbors in case a few truck loads of bad guys show up on your street.

Old 01-08-2009, 12:09 PM   #13

Ammo--buying what I can afford, paying particular attention to .22, 12 ga, and 30-06, but buying for all firearms I have. That's just what I'm needing.
Bought surplus ammo cans, with good lid gaskets.
Then, went to the local hobby/craft shop and bought bags of bulk dessicant with indicator beads. It's used for drying flowers, and such. Made packets by putting it into coffee filters, then stapling shut. Throw a few in the ammo cans, with the ammo, then shut 'em tight. Didn't realize it, but dessicant is even reusable. Just bake it in the oven on low heat until the indicator beads turn back to the original color; however, some of the dessicant and/or indicator beads are toxic, so if using a food pan for drying, make sure the pan is very clean when done, before using for food again, or just steal it from the wife and keep it in the shop (wouldn't be the first kitchen item that came up missing).

That's what I'm doing, anyways...don't know if its right or wrong, but it is a wife approved purchase :-)

Last edited by bernie; 01-08-2009 at 12:10 PM. Reason: typo

Old 01-08-2009, 12:13 PM   #14

Oh, and I'm thinking for any necessary long-term weapon storage, buy whatever diameter/length PVC pipe I need, glued the ends on with removable plugs, add weapons, ammo, dessicant, then seal the plugs up and place in location of choice. Should work? Any thoughts?

Last edited by bernie; 01-08-2009 at 12:13 PM. Reason: oops again--type

Old 01-08-2009, 01:11 PM   #15

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernie View Post
Oh, and I'm thinking for any necessary long-term weapon storage, buy whatever diameter/length PVC pipe I need, glued the ends on with removable plugs, add weapons, ammo, dessicant, then seal the plugs up and place in location of choice. Should work? Any thoughts?
Great solution and one discussed on another forum by 'Gabe'. It works well for long term storage. Another no-brainer is the sardine tins of ammo. All ready packaged for long term storage.

With little additional sealing these items can even be stored under water. This type of thinking is not zealous or paranoid in substance, but rather primal in a survivalist way. Kudos for thinking out loud and sharing on the forum.

cane

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-08-2009, 01:38 PM   #16

Liked 2058 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

I would buy enough ammo for my primary weapons first then my secondary weapons if time and money allowed. My primary handgun is a .45 auto, my secondary is a 9mm. My primary dreaded black gun is a Cetme .308, and my secondary is a Romak 3 in 7.62x54R. This may change soon sense we are expecting again and I will be enlarging my family to a CAR-15 in 5.56, A 12 gage Mossberg 500 Persuader, and if its triplets a Savage model 10FP in /308

As of now I keep one spam can, 440 rounds for the Romak 3. I am light on /308 right now because of money restraints. But I do have about 200 rounds of .45 auto and about 350 rounds of 9mm. Mostly because they were bought for me by a friend. Also I have close to a brick of .22lr.

The way I look at it is even with a light amount of ammo one can always use what you have to acquire more.

Old 01-08-2009, 03:59 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I try to keep a good supply for all of my guns, I have a 45 ACP, 9mm, 357 mag, 410, two 16 gas, a 12 ga, a .30-06 and a 22. I keep around 150 rounds of SD ammo for each pistol and around 300 or so target rounds for each. I hunt with with the 06 so I have about 150 rounds for it in various weights. Around 50 rounds of buckshot for each gauge, 50 rounds of 4 or 5 shot for the 16 and the 12 for turkey or similar. Got a killer deal on 250 rounds of #6 for my 16s that I use for various birds. I reload for everything but the 410 which I mostly just play around with so I try to keep a good supply of primers, powder, shot and bullets around. This also makes it easy to keep my target ammo available and saves me some $ at the same time. Plus if it really hit the fan I don't know too many people who would want to be hit with a 200gr JFP from my 45 or a 158gr JFP from the mag.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 01-08-2009, 04:55 PM   #18
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2996 Times on 1561 Posts
Likes Given: 279

I am a firm believer that you cannot have too much ammo. Too little, yes.

I think 200-400 for a bolt gun is likely plenty
Self loaders should have 1000+ (10,000 better)
Handgun- 400/gun should be enough for long term.
Shotgun- 200-300 mixture of buckshot/slugs and a like amount of birdshot in various shot sizes for different foraging needs

I also stock some ammo for calibers I do not have guns in. I figure I may find a gun in that caliber or need to equip a compatriot.

I do not anticipate bartering with any ammo that is likely to be used against me. .22lr and birdshot could be bartered off but not .30-06.

Having a few boxes of .243, .7mm RM, .300 RM, .30-30, .30 carbine etc could be handy.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:25 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I have downsized and consolidated calibers for ease of supply.

Handguns: 9mm, .38/357 and .45 ACP.

Rifles: .22LR, .223, .308

Shotgun: 12ga.

In .22LR, I keep an assortment of weights in hollow points and ball.

I have assorted FMJ and hollowpoint ammo for the handguns.

I have stocked mostly XM193 in .223.

.308 is Aussie, South African and Portuguese milsurp.

12ga. stock is 00 Buck, slugs, #4 and #7 shot

That's still a fair amount of ammo, but very manageable to procure and store.

We have around three months or more of food and other supplies stored. I watch for sales and stock up when a good deal comes along. It's relatively inexpensive to accumulate food and supplies if you buy stuff a bit at a time, but on a regular basis.

Being able to defend yourself and yours is critical, but if you're starving, it won't much matter. You can't eat bullets.

Think holistically. Have a plan and if you haven't started yet, it's time.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 01-08-2009, 05:37 PM   #20

Liked 2058 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

If one has enough canned goods and dry goods stored you can always use it as barter goods for other things like more ammo...say for 20 rounds of 7.62x51 you get a can of pork and beans