Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Keep ammo for all guns?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2009, 02:40 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Keep ammo for all guns?

I am developing my plans and means for SHTF and this forum has been a great source of info. I have a question on whether to keep ammo for every gun in the house or not. I foresee obvious HD situations but also hunting needs. Would you stock ammo for 3 (different calibers) shotguns? I have 12, 20 and .410 shotguns as well as 2 .22 rifles and a .30-30 rifle I inherited. I also have 2 pistols. Your opinions?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-06-2009, 03:13 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Well, first off, kudos on getting prepared, that is a great first step.

Now, for SHTF purposes, I think you will find people on here recommend staying put and not leaving the comfort, warmth and safety of your own domicile should that be a possibility for you. If you don't have to Bug Out, then don't - you have a great chance of staying healthy that way.

So, with that in mind, I would suggest keeping ammo on hand for the weapons that would be used in the event of a "Homesteading Party".

Are you going to be doing hunting with all three shotguns? I would say most likely not - so I personally wouldn't keep ammo on hand for all of them, unless you have a large family and would be concerned with equipping everyone with a weapon.

Personally, we have one shotgun in the house and I have about 100 rounds for it. It's not my first choice for any weapon though - so your mileage may vary.

Pistol ammo, I believe, you should have about 200-300 rounds per caliber on hand at any time. Obviously don't buy that amount and just let it sit for 30 years, you need to rotate stock, but I have 500 rounds of 9mm for the spousal unit and I have 1,000 rounds of .22lr

For my .45's, I have considerably more, but I love my .45's and would use them for a lot of purposes should the need arise. Plus I might build myself an AR chambered in .45ACP - so I am heavy in that department.

For a dedicated hunting rifle, I would say anywhere from 100 to 200 rounds would be plenty if you have the ability to reload it. If not, then I would push that number higher, depending on your budget and things of that nature.

I would recommend adding an AR-15 to the home list, because the ammo is universal around the country and you could find more in sporting goods stores, police departments, National Guard Armories, things of that nature. Again, assuming the End of the World happens and you are left scavenging. With a good AR you can defend and hunt off the land, which cuts down on the amount of things you need to carry should the need arise. Again, YMMV.

One of the key things to factor in is a piece of advice I got from a very good friend who is my gunsmith, mentor, a former SeAL and an all around outdoor type:

"Most people get hung up on the weapon aspect of that sort of question, but one of the key things to remember is that you need to be able to feed yourself during that time frame. I would suggest 6 to 8 weeks of food, water and medical supplies ( including prescriptions like blood pressure, cholesterol, etc. ) A lot of the food can be canned, so you don’t need to worry about spoiling, and if you know the bad times are coming, fill up your tubs with water before you lose the ability. Plus you can buy 5 gallon water jugs from any water supply place, even the grocery stores sell them here, that you can have on hand to fill up should you need too."

Again, your personal choices may vary depending on the terrain, where you live in relation to the masses of the big city, what kind of game animals you have near by, or don't, etc. etc. etc.

JD

Old 01-06-2009, 03:15 PM   #3

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I didn't see 9mm, .223, or 308 so if the SHTF you are not going to be able to refresh you ammo supply. Therefore, I would stock up and rotate the ammo to keep it fresh. Determine how long you would expect to have to support and defend yourself on your ammo supply and double that estimate. A weapon is useless without amunition.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 01-06-2009, 04:38 PM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

It's always better to have too much than too little ammo. If you're staying put, the weight of extra ammo isn't in play. You're not going to carry it all, you'll keep most stashed at home. Keep enough .22 on hand for trading.

9x18=Makarov

Old 01-06-2009, 05:14 PM   #5

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

I am currently saving ammo for every firearm in the house from my .22 rifle to .40 and .45 cal pistols to my AR and SKS rifles and of course the shotguns. If ammo is gonna go through the roof when NoBama gets sworn in, then I'm gonna hopefully have enough to get me through his term. Also in a SHTF situation where hunting must be done to survive, those hunting seasons won't amount to a hill of beans to me and mine. I won't hisitate to kill a deer with an AR or an SKS or whatever else is laying around with ammo beside it. Hell, if the situaion arises I'll run a deer down with the old Ford.

I say there's no such thing as too much ammo, something I'm trying to convince the wife of.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 01-06-2009, 07:47 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Sheltering in place is always more favorable than running in all but the most dire circumstances.

If possible, simplify your inventory down to a few common calibers, preferably those in use by military and law enforcement. .45 ACP and 7.65x51 NATO would be my first choices, but 7.62x39, 5.45x39, 9x19 NATO and 5.56x45 NATO would all be good choices as well. These are the most common calibers used world wide, so should the S really ever HTF hard enough to require widespread armed conflict on the part of every man, these are going to be the easiest rounds to scavenge.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:12 PM   #7

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

How much ammo do you need?
One more round than the Zombie.

I have a lake out back of the house and in accessible locations known only to me are a few 450 rd sardine cans of Ruski 7.62. In the same Davy Jones locker is one completely watertight cheap-as-dirt, no frills, foldaway stock AK. When the soon to be appointed nobama homeland security police start their civilian weapon confiscation, Molon labe!

cane

I am a son of America.
First and foremost is the cause of freedom.
Everything else is collateral.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-06-2009, 09:25 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I'm not so sure that I'd advertise that fact Cane.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:35 PM   #9

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
I'm not so sure that I'd advertise that fact Cane.
Molon labe; come and take them

Besides, here's my guard/attack lizard.

matt, do you really think I would release that intel? It's the thought that counts!

cane

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-07-2009, 03:41 AM   #10

Default i'm buying for everything

no sense in not being prepared, plus, may need to help out friends/neighbors, or trade for other items.

I also agree with dillinger on the food thing- be prepared, or get to know a farmer! there is not even close to enough wildlife to feed many for very long. even here in north dakota, i'm not counting on hunting to feed my family. sure it might work for a while, but there will be tons of urban hunters more desperate for meat than i will be, and if you are roughing it, where will you store it?

stock up the essentials, an easy source of protein is dry peas, greens or yellows, any dry beans such as pintos, blacks, navy beans, chickpeas, and lentils. by the way, I raise these, and would appreciate you buying some.

they aren't great tasting, but they provide hours of entertainment, and you can hide them in chili, soups, or anything spicy (go mexican). they are also very easy to store, in bulk.

I am a farmer, and have given this alot of thought myself. I have already established trades with ranchers, grains for meat. also in farm country, we are prepared to defend our livestock and grain storage facilities. there are a lot of guns out here. our walmarts even have empty gun cases. my advice is you will get more food with a white flag and a smile than you ever will through force.

survival is also going to be much more likely, if SHTF, through groups of people working together. if it gets really bad, i could see providing food/shelter for families if they are willing to protect the food i will be producing. I pray that it doesn't come to this, but i am prepared. if you are not from fly-over country, I feel that this is something you should consider.

if this SHTF thing doesn't happen, that would be great too. I will have gotten alot of cool toys out of the deal.

The future isn't what it used to be.
----Yogi Berra