Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Just realized I'm an idiot not to hunker down

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2009, 03:07 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Just realized I'm an idiot not to hunker down

I'm 50 yrs old and have grown up in the country in the south. I live on a small 13 acre farm 30 miles away from a couple of cities. I have thought I would bug out and go to our lake house. WHAT? I must have lost my mind!

I think the main thing I learned here reading your posts is I live in the perfect hunker down place. I now have to figure out how to be the place people are coming to.

All I have to say is they better contribute or be a target.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-01-2009, 07:20 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Good choice. Bugging in is MUCH easier in pretty much all circumstances then bugging out.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:27 PM   #3

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Depends.

If you are bugging in inside of a very populated area, you are sealing your fate. Sooner or later, you'll get over-run.

Bugging in if you are in a remote area isn't a bad idea, though, as long as your can monitor all of your land with good consistency.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:29 PM   #4

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT-MILLER View Post
Depends.

If you are bugging in inside of a very populated area, you are sealing your fate. Sooner or later, you'll get over-run.

Bugging in if you are in a remote area isn't a bad idea, though, as long as your can monitor all of your land with good consistency.
Affirmative the Sgt. is right spot on. Woods, plains, mountains and the great outdoors is where you want to be. Always take the high point, stay stealthy and continued recon to be familiar with your AO and your foe's movements.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 09-02-2009, 12:58 AM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I said it is always easier, I didn't say it is always better .

But, ponder this:

Say someone lives in a city, and leaves his stores of food and ammo at home to try to speed off in his vehicle with a few weeks of food and a fraction of the supplies. Then, as would be likely, he get stuck in traffic / his car breaks down / he gets in a wreck, etc. Now he are far worse off than he would have been, even in an apartment. How he is just part of the panicking mob at the onset of disaster.

Or hell, what if he is actually one of the first to bug out? What if he hears reports of "strange behavior in China" on the news, and decides to immediately skip town? In the likely event that it turns out to be no big deal, what will happen to his job when he just doesn't show up for a few days because he was out in the woods? Will his excuse of "I thought zombies were rising" be good enough? While not directly important, credibility must also be considered. If he drags his wife and kids out into the woods, when something real happens in the future, they would not likely be as enthusiastic about following him which, as one could imagine, would be very detrimental to survival.

Unless somehow that man has some kind of early warning for something really bad about to happen, chances are he'll decide its time to leave about when everyone else does. He would be much better off staying past at least the first onset of the event, provided the event itself does not prevent one from living in his home (natural disaster like a flood or hurricane, for example). The bugging-in time could vary, of course, Im just saying bugging out as soon as trouble starts to rise might not always be the best idea.

Old 09-05-2009, 05:32 AM   #6

Hey to each of you. I am new to the gun community and have a lot of learning and catching up to do. I have been reading a lot of these threads with interest and this one brings up a few questions. I live in Portland (liberalville) and for me it would be pretty hard to head for the hills so to speak if the shtf. For one I think everyone is going to try and do that, so maybe it would be safer to hold up here with the fam? If I was single again I would not even worry, but with three little ones it is a much harder task. what say you?

Old 09-05-2009, 12:11 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsf343 View Post
Hey to each of you. I am new to the gun community and have a lot of learning and catching up to do. I have been reading a lot of these threads with interest and this one brings up a few questions. I live in Portland (liberalville) and for me it would be pretty hard to head for the hills so to speak if the shtf. For one I think everyone is going to try and do that, so maybe it would be safer to hold up here with the fam? If I was single again I would not even worry, but with three little ones it is a much harder task. what say you?
First off, welcome to the community. Head on over to the "introduction" section and say howdy so we can give you a proper welcome.

I was born and raised in Portland, and it doesn't matter if every person you know moved out to the hills, there is more than enough woodland resources for everyone. I'd still recommend heading out to the back of Estacada and follow the river on back. You will want access to all that fresh water.

All of this, of course, is assuming this is the right kind of SHTF type situation. Sometime it is better to stay put, but if ICBMs are on their way to PDX, get the hell out of there. If you go to the coast, the Cascades will serve as a nice break and shelter you from any blast.

Old 09-05-2009, 12:43 PM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Everyone has different personal circumstances and environment so as far as bugging out or staying put, what is good for one is not good for another. For instance, I am in a small village of 1,833 people. I am not far from deep woods or a city of 30,000+ population. I could switch to self-sufficient mode easily as I am prepared. I would have to stay put and I hope it doesn't come to that.

OC

"magbum"

Old 09-05-2009, 01:09 PM   #9

First off, if you plan to stay put and have someone come to you, I would screen the ones coming. Make a plan of action and barring any drastic changes stick to it. You don't want to see anyone suffer, but you don't want to be over-run and be robbed and possibly killed for what you've gathered. Just my $.02!

God answers all prayers. Sometimes the answer is "NO"

Old 09-05-2009, 02:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineffable View Post
First off, welcome to the community. Head on over to the "introduction" section and say howdy so we can give you a proper welcome.

I was born and raised in Portland, and it doesn't matter if every person you know moved out to the hills, there is more than enough woodland resources for everyone. I'd still recommend heading out to the back of Estacada and follow the river on back. You will want access to all that fresh water.

All of this, of course, is assuming this is the right kind of SHTF type situation. Sometime it is better to stay put, but if ICBMs are on their way to PDX, get the hell out of there. If you go to the coast, the Cascades will serve as a nice break and shelter you from any blast.
Exactly where I would head too. I grew up fishing the clackamas river (higher up) only thing bad is the road is now to the point it is busy even in non-emergency times. I can't imagine what it is like during all out chaos. Other thing is not many will know when a missile is incoming, especially with Russian/china subs now patroling near our waters. Guess its time to buy some spf-3000 All good advice though, thanks.