Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Jerky Making

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2011, 09:24 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Jerky Making

ok didnt know where to put this since there isnt a food section lol. But im attempting to make Jerky for the first time with my dehydrator. the book it comes with only has recipes for there brand of jerky seasoning and it keeps talkin about cure. Thought salt was what most people use to make jerky and cure meat. any insite on this?

anyway i wanted to see if anyone had any good recipes for jerky. tryin some black pepper and sea salt and some teriyaki and some of the jerky seasoning that it came with. anyone else have some that they really like?

"Which is heavier a soldiers pack or a slaves chains" Napoleon
"We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."Thomas Jefferson
"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity
"No combat-ready unit ever passed inspection, and no inspection-ready unit ever passed combat."

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-19-2011, 10:13 PM   #2

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Buy some jerky kits. They come with cure which is not regular table salt. Are you grinding and using a jerky shooter or slicing thin?

Jerky kits can be had at Cabela's, Gander Mtn and most major sporting goods stores that compete with thee above. Also, go to Meat Grinder | Meat Processing Supplies | Jerky and Sausage Making | LEM Products and order a catalog or just order from them. Easy peasy.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 02-19-2011, 10:23 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5247 Times on 2737 Posts
Likes Given: 330

here is some good info regarding cures:

Curing Agents: Smoking Meat, Making Sausage, Making Cheese, Making Jerky, Brewing Beer, Canning, Dehydrating

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-19-2011, 10:40 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks JonM good stuff there. And Skull no im not i have the jerky gun and all but not a fan of Formed Jerky maybe if I decided to make beef sticks but not jerky. using london broils just cut to about 1/4 in and then dryin. I HATE THIN JERKY! lol

"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
"No combat-ready unit ever passed inspection, and no inspection-ready unit ever passed combat."

Old 02-20-2011, 01:00 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5247 Times on 2737 Posts
Likes Given: 330

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach1337 View Post
Thanks JonM good stuff there. And Skull no im not i have the jerky gun and all but not a fan of Formed Jerky maybe if I decided to make beef sticks but not jerky. using london broils just cut to about 1/4 in and then dryin. I HATE THIN JERKY! lol
make sure there is absolutely no fat. trim it really really well as fat turns rancid when jerking meat. its a taste you wont forget.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-20-2011, 01:55 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
make sure there is absolutely no fat. trim it really really well as fat turns rancid when jerking meat. its a taste you wont forget.
yeah thats what the butcher told me too. ended up with london broils for meat. 6 pounds for about 14 dollars not too bad.

Old 02-20-2011, 02:40 AM   #7
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6743 Times on 4074 Posts
Likes Given: 8041

Ummm.......can I be the taste tester? I used to make my own beef jerky by thinly slicing very lean meat and drying it in the oven. Teriyaki is my favorite. I just don't do it anymore as it took me much longer to make it than to eat it.

Old 02-20-2011, 03:17 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Ummm.......can I be the taste tester? I just don't do it anymore as it took me much longer to make it than to eat it.
maybe.... you sound just like me everytime i check the trays and rotate it i take the most done pieces off and instead of goin in the bag they go in my mouth lol

Old 02-20-2011, 03:49 AM   #9

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts

Every big game season I buy the cabelas brand seasoning mix. I mix lightly smoke and then dry....Good mix and process = AWSOME jerky!!!