Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Survival & Sustenance Living Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   Jerky Making (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/jerky-making-38695/)

mach1337 02-19-2011 10:24 PM

Jerky Making

ok didnt know where to put this since there isnt a food section lol. But im attempting to make Jerky for the first time with my dehydrator. the book it comes with only has recipes for there brand of jerky seasoning and it keeps talkin about cure. Thought salt was what most people use to make jerky and cure meat. any insite on this?

anyway i wanted to see if anyone had any good recipes for jerky. tryin some black pepper and sea salt and some teriyaki and some of the jerky seasoning that it came with. anyone else have some that they really like?

skullcrusher 02-19-2011 11:13 PM

Buy some jerky kits. They come with cure which is not regular table salt. Are you grinding and using a jerky shooter or slicing thin?

Jerky kits can be had at Cabela's, Gander Mtn and most major sporting goods stores that compete with thee above. Also, go to Meat Grinder | Meat Processing Supplies | Jerky and Sausage Making | LEM Products and order a catalog or just order from them. Easy peasy. :)

JonM 02-19-2011 11:23 PM

here is some good info regarding cures:

Curing Agents: Smoking Meat, Making Sausage, Making Cheese, Making Jerky, Brewing Beer, Canning, Dehydrating

mach1337 02-19-2011 11:40 PM

Thanks JonM good stuff there. And Skull no im not i have the jerky gun and all but not a fan of Formed Jerky maybe if I decided to make beef sticks but not jerky. using london broils just cut to about 1/4 in and then dryin. I HATE THIN JERKY! lol

JonM 02-20-2011 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mach1337 (Post 449045)
Thanks JonM good stuff there. And Skull no im not i have the jerky gun and all but not a fan of Formed Jerky maybe if I decided to make beef sticks but not jerky. using london broils just cut to about 1/4 in and then dryin. I HATE THIN JERKY! lol

make sure there is absolutely no fat. trim it really really well as fat turns rancid when jerking meat. its a taste you wont forget.

mach1337 02-20-2011 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 449147)
make sure there is absolutely no fat. trim it really really well as fat turns rancid when jerking meat. its a taste you wont forget.

yeah thats what the butcher told me too. ended up with london broils for meat. 6 pounds for about 14 dollars not too bad.

winds-of-change 02-20-2011 03:40 AM

Ummm.......can I be the taste tester? I used to make my own beef jerky by thinly slicing very lean meat and drying it in the oven. Teriyaki is my favorite. I just don't do it anymore as it took me much longer to make it than to eat it. :(

mach1337 02-20-2011 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winds-of-change (Post 449240)
Ummm.......can I be the taste tester? I just don't do it anymore as it took me much longer to make it than to eat it. :(

maybe.... you sound just like me everytime i check the trays and rotate it i take the most done pieces off and instead of goin in the bag they go in my mouth lol

lukeisme 02-20-2011 04:49 AM

Every big game season I buy the cabelas brand seasoning mix. I mix lightly smoke and then dry....Good mix and process = AWSOME jerky!!!