JD's BOB Giveaway Report
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > JD's BOB Giveaway Report

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2010, 09:00 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Default JD's BOB Giveaway Report

First off I'd like to thank Dillinger for hosting and putting together the BOB starter kit.
The kit arrived in great condition on friday.
I was a little nervous as I have been torturing JD a bit lately and one can never be too cautious when dealing with suspect packages and/or booby traps, so I had the package shipped to my mother's house.
I had to throw mom under the bus, but after she opened it and I made sure she was suffering no ill effects, I went to check out the goodies
----------------------
It started out with a nice selection of hand and toe warmers and a couple pairs of very nice earplugs. A few things I never think about until I really need them. Also included a good size chunk of the fabled Silken Thread of Asgaard. This stuff is very nice and I am impressed with it.

Digging deeper I found some Gorilla Glue and Gorilla Duct Tape. With this stuff you could almost build a battleship. A pack of waterproof matches, and a very bright blue LED light. Not one of the cheap disposable wally world ones, this one has replaceable batteries. I don't remember seeing any like it before.

Then I found an awesome AMK ultralight/watertight medical kit, that contains various bandages, and dressings, tape, gauze, antiseptics, antibiotic ointments, pain medicine, antihistamines, bee sting ointment, moleskin, alcohol swabs, forceps, and safety pins.
A "credit card" style 11 function multitool from Kikkerland. This thing is very well thought out, has numerous functions such as slots for different size bolts, saw, bottle/can opener, and a knife edge.
A very nice Brunton compass. I have a Phosphorus military compass I usually carry for hunting, but it is heavy and I'd probably have to look for an hour to find it. The Brunton is light, compact and will go in the bag so I'll never have too worry about where my compass is.

A very well thought out starter kit that weighs next to nothing that encompasses most of the basic necessities you'd need in an emergency situation. I was ill prepared before, but I just got to add a few small things, and now, thanks to JD, I'm GTG.

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-06-2010, 09:08 PM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

The only thing I wasn't sure about was the viking helmet he packed everything in. It didn't seem necessary, but who am I to argue, it is definitely awesome

To those that complained about my slow report......
I got the BOB on friday afternoon
I had a pistol match on saturday
Sunday was Easter
My "bulletproof" phone blew up last week and I didn't get my replacement till monday(its the only camera I have)
So I did the report today, along with processing 1000 45Auto casings...Sorry it took me so long

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 04-06-2010, 09:11 PM   #3

That is some totally awesome stuff! I need to start planning my BOB, and you just gave me some awesome ideas, especially the hand/toe warmers, watertight medical kit, LED light and Gorilla tape/glue!

I've already got a portable cooking set, Pocket Rocket, a VERY nice Silva compass, and my Leatherman Wave. Still trying to pick out a bag. Most of that stuff are remnants from when I used to go hiking a lot.

Things to think about before you Open Carry
Read this before you decide to carry!

Old 04-06-2010, 09:15 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

The helmet is the best part.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-06-2010, 09:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
The helmet is the best part.
Fo shure! He posted that as I was typing, but I just snorted Sprite out of my nose when I saw it!

Old 04-06-2010, 09:19 PM   #6

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorsHammer View Post
I've already got a portable cooking set, Pocket Rocket, a VERY nice Silva compass, and my Leatherman Wave. Still trying to pick out a bag. Most of that stuff are remnants from when I used to go hiking a lot.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 04-06-2010, 09:24 PM   #7

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3481 Times on 1610 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

LOL - Nice Report Gate. Glad you like the stuff.

That gorilla tape will stick to just about anything. It's not cheap, it costs about twice as much standard duct tape, but it's worth it.

The Gorilla Glue doesn't set up in seconds and I haven't tried to glue my hardhat to a girder and hang from it. However. It's great for repairing rips or tears in your field jeans, boots, tarps and when it sets up, it sets up solid, is waterproof and I haven't had it fail me yet.

A trick with those hand or toe warmers if you are ever where it is REALLY cold. Cut a small piece off and put it either on your ear cartlidge ( inside or out - but not in the ear canal ) it will keep the blood flowing to your ears and make you feel much warmer than you are.

That all in one tool was kind of a throw in, but it's useful for a few things. I would rely on it for life, but it can come in handy.

I would like to thank OneStopKnifeShop.com - They are always a great source for just about everything blade or "survival/BOB" and we got a 30% discount on the stuff I ordered from there for this contest. Anyone interested in finding good prices, on stuff that is in stock can order from these great guys and gals without fear of being taken for a ride.

Definitely highly recommended!!

Uh Gate, that isn't a Viking Helmet, it's supposed to be a cup so your junk doesn't get damaged - but how ever you want to employ it.

JD

Old 04-06-2010, 09:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
MSR® PocketRocket™ ultralight canister-fuel stove

Old 04-06-2010, 09:29 PM   #9

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorsHammer View Post
Hey, Thor. I was not judging, so don't worry. No need to try to cover up or anything. Like Benning says, "Everyone has their something."

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 04-06-2010, 09:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Hey, Thor. I was not judging, so don't worry. No need to try to cover up or anything. Like Benning says, "Everyone has their something."
No, no, that was the OTHER pocket rocket!