Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > INVENTORY for BASIC SURVIVAL KIT:

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2008, 08:15 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Uh, Quas - Your OCD is showing a little bit right there... *pointing*

JD
Hey, I resemble that remark.

Everytime I read something from the Patriot Post or Ann Coulter I have to wash my hands.

Old 10-08-2008, 01:25 AM   #12

Liked 7548 Times on 3284 Posts
Likes Given: 1118

I used to fish some of the high country in CO. Had my AW S*** kit that was about 2x4x6, fitted in a pocket. Not all inclusive by ANY means, but see if I can remember MOST of what I stuffed in there....

Couple of heat tabs, tea-light candle, lifesavers candy, water purification tabs, disposable space blanket, flat metal mirror, waterproof matches, about 50 ft of BRAIDED nylon fishing line (30#), 100 mile-an-hr tape wrapped around outside of case, qt ziplock baggy holding stuff inside, instant coffee pack, sq of aluminum foil folded flat, bandaid/ butterfly closure, aspirin, salt pack (McDonalds) wire saw, empty .308 case (whistle- and it held water purification tabs) and a single edge razor blade. All packed inside a milsurp plastic case.

My leatherman was always on belt, and kept a lightweight waterproof windbreaker w/ hood that folded up into its own pocket.

Of course, the old joke about survival is- bring a deck of cards. Lost? Sit down, start dealing a hand of solitaire- and SOMEBODY is gonna come along and tell you to play the red nine on the black ten.

Old 10-08-2008, 02:58 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
I used to fish some of the high country in CO. Had my AW S*** kit that was about 2x4x6, fitted in a pocket. Not all inclusive by ANY means, but see if I can remember MOST of what I stuffed in there....

Couple of heat tabs, tea-light candle, lifesavers candy, water purification tabs, disposable space blanket, flat metal mirror, waterproof matches, about 50 ft of BRAIDED nylon fishing line (30#), 100 mile-an-hr tape wrapped around outside of case, qt ziplock baggy holding stuff inside, instant coffee pack, sq of aluminum foil folded flat, bandaid/ butterfly closure, aspirin, salt pack (McDonalds) wire saw, empty .308 case (whistle- and it held water purification tabs) and a single edge razor blade. All packed inside a milsurp plastic case.

My leatherman was always on belt, and kept a lightweight waterproof windbreaker w/ hood that folded up into its own pocket.

Of course, the old joke about survival is- bring a deck of cards. Lost? Sit down, start dealing a hand of solitaire- and SOMEBODY is gonna come along and tell you to play the red nine on the black ten.
I'm about the same, if it can't fit comfortably on my kinfe/gun belt, I won't have it when I need it!

I usually start with a solid belt, something that will support many times my weight with a buckle that will do the same.
I used to wear leather all the time, but once in the military and doing active service, I learned about 'Riggers Belts'.
(but in the late 70's/early 80's we called them 'Last Resort' or 'Oh Sh!t' belts)

Then I like to use a smallish heavy pouch that I don't have to worry if it's going to come open or get pulled off the belt in a fall or beating through the brush.

Same with a knife sheath, I like one with lots of potential storage...
I favor cloth now, since Nylon dries quicker than leather, doesn't contain acids to that rust/rot my hardware, are silent and are more comfortable.

The gear I keep in my pouch is, (Clockwise from upper left)

Head net!
Can't get any rest if you can't keep bugs out of your face/ears! Lack of rest leads to exhaustion, confusion and bad decisions...

A 'Poncho' & 'Survival Blanket' from Wally World, about $2 total.
These work for shelter, keeping you dry, keeping wet bedding from transferring to you, water collection, signaling, keeping insects off 'Kill' meat, ect. Very handy!

Under the stuff, two 'Quart Zip Lock Bags.'
Work as canteens, as water proofing, as carry alls, as protection for wounded skin, ect.

'Chem Lights' usually in different colors.
These are good for marking your pack or equipment when you drop it to stalk or track game, quick light when your hands are REALLY cold, they don't have batteries that run down, electronics that get wet, or flames that go out.

Small Packet Of HEAVY DUTY String.
I use this for LOTS of things! Everything from fish traps to fishing line strings, assembling shelters where I don't care to recover the string when I'm done, ect.

Small Bundle Of '550' Para Cord.
Couldn't do without this stuff!

Bug Spray, Two kinds and some anti-itch stuff for bug bites.

Chap-Stick!
This stuff is GREAT! Good for bug bites, scrapes, raw or chaffed skin, works as a solvent, gets off everything up to and including pine pitch! Has natural anti-biotic properties and is a mild solvent.

The Cloth Pouch, this particular one is military surplus, has a full size belt loop in the back so it doesn't come off, and it has flap closures that stay closed.
You can get a feel for the size of it from the hardware around it.

SOLID Folding Knife, usually very sharp with a thick blade so it doesn't break easily and can be used for all sorts of camp stuff...

Light Weight Stainless 'S' hook, Keeps small things organized so the don't fall to the bottom or get lost.
On the 'S' hook you will see a 'Pin On' compass, a small LED flash light, a fire starter, a 'P-38' can opener...

Next is Water Purification Tablets. There are MANY ways to purify water, boiling being one of the best, but this is 'Just In Case'...

Small Butane Lighter In Water Proof Case
There is usually some cotton balls in there with it, and a small amount of Petroleum Jelly (or some lip balms) will make those cotton balls into some serious fire starting tender!
(my case usually has tape wrapped around it, but the old one gave up and I didn't have any tape on this one yet!)

Water Resistant Matches, I prefer to dip plain old 'Strike Anywhere' matches in a coat of paraffin or use 'Life Boat' matches, since most of the 'Water Proof' matches on the market take special strikers or won't light when wet.

I also usually have a 'Mini-Mag Lite' with tape and rubber 'O' rings wrapped around the handle. Duct Tape is so VERY handy in the woods, and with the Mini-Mags, you can take the top off, lay it lens down, and use the body as an 'Area' light. Some of the LED conversions for the Mini-Mag make it possible to use then even though they have been converted...

You will also usually find a small package of Jerky in there too! When you are really hungry, a warm cup of water makes REALLY GOOD jerky soup!

Anyway, this entire mess packs up surprisingly compact and fits on my knife/gun belt so it's with me about everywhere I go...

Hang on a canteen pouch, and a good knife with accessories
With Canteen, canteen cup, canteen stove and you are off to the races!

Old 10-08-2008, 03:48 AM   #14

As long as we are playing 'Show & Tell'...

Sheath Knife, with more emphasis on 'Sheath' than 'Knife'.

Top is a flexible plastic insert with clear box tape covering it.
Inside is sterile scalpel blades and sterile suture packs.
Reverse side has a couple of large needles (field gear repair) and some fish hooks, line, sinkers.
This slips in behind the plastic insert the blade fits in and stores VERY well.

Next is a basic camp/hunting knife.
In this case, a Becker knife with the scales removed and the handle has been wrapped in '550 Para Cord'.
It has a wrist lanyard also, I feel that is very important.

I carry a one hand open Gerber multi-tool, and it fits in the sheath pocket.

Then a Gerber diamond sharpener which has round side, flat side and hook/dart sharpening groove.

The sheath it's self is a Becker, which I've modified for one hand open and either vertical or horizontal mounting.
Lanyards hang off it because you can just never have enough cordage when you are living in the 'Rough'...

You should also notice the large safety pins on the sheath.
These come in handy for SO MANY things from keeping gear from sliding around, to fixing holes in cloths and gear, to lancing blisters from hiking in wet boots!

Below the sheath you will notice a Velcro/nylon gear strap that is about the same size as your wrist.
That has a thermometer and small compass, and the 'Shoe Lace' hanging off it is pace count beads so you can tell how far you have actually traveled, instead of 'Guessing'...
----------------------

For a canteen you just can't beat the military version of old!
With the quart zip lock bags in the 'Possibles' bag, I don't have to put un-treated water in my canteen. I can do the water treatment in the bags, then transfer it into the canteen.

With the military provided accessories, I can cook, purify water by boiling, and generally make my self comfortable!

Stove (there are several types, this is the lightest I've seen),
Canteen cup, worth it's weight in gold!
Canteen Cover, good place to store fuel tabs, tender, and other things under the canteen assembly...

Here is that stuff stacked up like it's supposed to be,

So, the entire 'Field Mess' I carry looks like this, and may or may not have specific items...

Like when I'm in very cold areas, I carry signaling flairs, and they work GREAT for starting fires when you are just too cold to handle matches or lighters...
And they scare bears!

I may have bear spray, which when combined with a flair makes a GREAT flame thrower!

I may have a Hand Gun or spare rifle cartridges on this belt.

When I'm in country that has serious obstacles, I carry a carabiner and rope which is often wrapped around my waste to keep it with me and under control...