Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > interesting though about body in SHTF...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2012, 12:03 PM   #21
bkt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
Daddy woulda survived anything...
Except severe infection from ulcerated sores on the insides of his enormous thighs. He didn't survive that.

Old 05-25-2012, 12:30 PM   #22
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1609 Times on 840 Posts
Likes Given: 1299

Umm, . . . there’s something missing here.

Yes, those with more fat will last longer then those with less, if nobodies doing anything. However, those who have a higher muscle to fat ratio will be able to obtain more food, faster than those who have more fat than muscle.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:50 PM   #23

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Vincine that's very true! Just saying a complete lean pure muscle body isnt good...great to have one, isnt good in shtf... rather have a little plump tummy and fat padding. instead of pure muscle.

Btw another thing: Fat people can be fit!...so most people can be fit unless you are overly fat/obese.

In the end...just be fit, be healthy. Just be able to carry your own weight fast.

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government" - Thomas Jefferson

Old 05-26-2012, 03:50 AM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1073 Times on 694 Posts
Likes Given: 1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
Look at TLuker with the Tudor Family Flash Cards!!!

Daddy woulda survived anything...
Well at least you got the continent right. Luker is German.

Having some extra body fat is a good thing. Being over weight and out of shape is not. Obesity leads to a lot of health problems, and being out of shape would certainly not be good if the SHTF.

Muscle is the first thing to go when you quit eating. Your body actually cannibalizes itself. That slows down your metabolism and then you start burning fat reserves. That's also were a lot of people go wrong when trying to loose weight. Muscles require energy and maintaining those muscles requires your body to work harder, which in turn increases your metabolism and burns fat (even when your a sleep). The more muscle you have the easier it is to loose body fat. When you "just" cut way back on food to loose weight you will loose weight but that is because you loose lean muscle rather than body fat, and your metabolism slows down. To intentionally loose body fat you want to increase your metabolism and not slow it down. To increase your metabolism you need to eat and you also need to add muscle, which means exercise. That's why so many skinny people can eat like a horse and stay skinny. All of that food provides energy, and they are doing enough physically to keep their metabolism high and burn that energy rather than store it as fat. Cardio also helps because it puts stress on your heart, which is a muscle, and strengthens it and that also increases your metabolism.

If you only have muscle then you are done just as soon as your body cannibalizes that muscle due to lack of food (or illness). But "extra" body fat doesn't mean obese. Primitive tribesmen generally don't have visible washboard abs, and that's because they have some body fat (assuming they've eaten). But I wouldn't describe them as obese or out of shape?

It's also important to be in shape. Many people think they can walk 15, 20, or maybe 30 miles or so a day with a pack while bugging out, but they have no idea what it's like to actually walk 15 miles with a load. I know that I couldn't do it right now because I am still recovering from almost starving to death. It took me a year to get to where I could walk 2 miles without passing out (literally). Before my health problems I would start most Saturdays off with a 5 mile hike carrying a load to go metal detecting in the middle of no where, and I ran 2 miles every other morning before work just to keep in shape. Luckily I also had some extra body fat to go along with being in shape when I got sick. I am slowly getting back to that level of fitness but even at that level 15 miles with a pack would be tough. Do able, but certainly not fun.

Just remember the old saying "everything in moderation". The key word was "everything". Too much fat is bad. Too little fat is bad. Too much cardio is bad. Too little cardio is bad. Well you get the idea.
Old 05-26-2012, 04:40 AM   #25
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
Well at least you got the continent right. Luker is German.

Having some extra body fat is a good thing. Being over weight and out of shape is not. Obesity leads to a lot of health problems, and being out of shape would certainly not be good if the SHTF.

Muscle is the first thing to go when you quit eating. Your body actually cannibalizes itself. That slows down your metabolism and then you start burning fat reserves. That's also were a lot of people go wrong when trying to loose weight. Muscles require energy and maintaining those muscles requires your body to work harder, which in turn increases your metabolism and burns fat (even when your a sleep). The more muscle you have the easier it is to loose body fat. When you "just" cut way back on food to loose weight you will loose weight but that is because you loose lean muscle rather than body fat, and your metabolism slows down. To intentionally loose body fat you want to increase your metabolism and not slow it down. To increase your metabolism you need to eat and you also need to add muscle, which means exercise. That's why so many skinny people can eat like a horse and stay skinny. All of that food provides energy, and they are doing enough physically to keep their metabolism high and burn that energy rather than store it as fat. Cardio also helps because it puts stress on your heart, which is a muscle, and strengthens it and that also increases your metabolism.

If you only have muscle then you are done just as soon as your body cannibalizes that muscle due to lack of food (or illness). But "extra" body fat doesn't mean obese. Primitive tribesmen generally don't have visible washboard abs, and that's because they have some body fat (assuming they've eaten). But I wouldn't describe them as obese or out of shape?

It's also important to be in shape. Many people think they can walk 15, 20, or maybe 30 miles or so a day with a pack while bugging out, but they have no idea what it's like to actually walk 15 miles with a load. I know that I couldn't do it right now because I am still recovering from almost starving to death. It took me a year to get to where I could walk 2 miles without passing out (literally). Before my health problems I would start most Saturdays off with a 5 mile hike carrying a load to go metal detecting in the middle of no where, and I ran 2 miles every other morning before work just to keep in shape. Luckily I also had some extra body fat to go along with being in shape when I got sick. I am slowly getting back to that level of fitness but even at that level 15 miles with a pack would be tough. Do able, but certainly not fun.

Just remember the old saying "everything in moderation". The key word was "everything". Too much fat is bad. Too little fat is bad. Too much cardio is bad. Too little cardio is bad. Well you get the idea.
Without getting too technical...the above is RIGHT ON!

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 05-26-2012, 04:42 AM   #26

Liked 127 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
There's a reason she was called the "Virgin Queen"!
She was not a virgin though. She had at least two lovers.

Sir Walter Raleigh and Sir Frances Drake.

Being that she was a strawberry blonde, I am sure she was a beauty undressed.

Last edited by Shoobee; 05-26-2012 at 04:44 AM.

Old 05-26-2012, 04:46 AM   #27

Liked 127 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
Umm, . . . there’s something missing here.

Yes, those with more fat will last longer then those with less, if nobodies doing anything. However, those who have a higher muscle to fat ratio will be able to obtain more food, faster than those who have more fat than muscle.
My bow and arrow would do all the work for me.

I don't need to chase gazelle on foot.
Old 05-26-2012, 03:43 PM   #28
mcb

Liked 68 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Basic physical fitness is something I don't see talked about nearly enough on survival forums. It is healthy and natural to carry a few extra pounds. In a real SHTF the average 300 lb couch potato won't last long.

More important than your actual weight is your fitness level. A couch potato is not going to survive a long hike or be able to work nearly as hard. So many Americans have weight related health issues at young ages. Even in a regional emergency many diabetics will be in trouble.

Old 05-26-2012, 05:09 PM   #29

Liked 2343 Times on 1524 Posts

Sooo, in a shtf scenario the surviving women will be fat eggheads? I better change my standards again. :-D

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 05-26-2012, 08:03 PM   #30
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1713 Times on 934 Posts
Likes Given: 545

Getting old can slow you down too. We are very active for our age but we are slowing down. Bugging out is not a good option for my wife and I because of the physical effort but we would have a better chance than a 300 pound couch potato. we are not skinny but not obese either.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."