Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Information

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2011, 03:05 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1164 Times on 746 Posts
Likes Given: 2196

Default Information

After reading some of the posts here I’ve started thinking a lot more about being prepared for various situations. I found it easiest to list things that I might need based on needs. For example, the first need in any bad situation is water. I then listed everything that goes with meeting that need. Next would be shelter, then food, and so on. The last item on my list, and perhaps the most important for me, was information. That was also the item that I had the most difficulty with.
There’s tons of great information on the net but it’s all electronic. There’s a good chance that information isn’t going to be available in a serious emergency such as a natural disaster. It almost certainly wouldn’t be available in a SHTF scenario. That got me to thinking that an important part of being prepared for bad times would be an actual physical library. Now what books to put in that library?

I know there are a lot of great books out there, but there are also a lot of books that wouldn’t even make a good campfire. So are there any recommendations for books?

I don’t have any particular type of book in mind. Anything on topics such as emergency medicine or subsistence living would great. Books that also reference historical periods such as Colonial America would also be great. I find myself becoming more and more fascinated with how early settlers managed to survive and prosper with almost nothing. Unfortunately there aren’t very many books that explain the specifics of how they did it. How exactly did they make a grinding wheel to sharpen metal tools? How did the first settlers plow a field or build a smokehouse?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-06-2011, 03:20 AM   #2
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

If you're looking for books that contain information that will help you in a SHTF situation, there are plenty. I'm not near the bookshelf that holds some of mine, but others here can knock out some titles for you. But the most important thing is to not expect to put that information to use during a SHTF situation; you need to read the books now and learn the information ahead of time and practice it so you don't need the book after a while.

One great book to keep with you always is the Pocket Ref. It's small but contains a huge amount of useful information.

Old 09-07-2011, 03:06 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default Thanks

I’ve got a good collection of general reference material (I’m an engineer), but thanks for the tip. I’m also fortunate enough to have grown up in what used to be a rural area. So I’ve got the basic skills that one gets growing up hunting, trapping, and fishing. I also know just enough to realize how unprepared I am for even an extended power outage much less a SHTF situation, and I’m working to fix that.

I’ve pretty well got the basics, but there’s still a lot of information that could be useful in an emergency that one might not necessarily be prepared for. There’s also a ton of information that would be invaluable if a SHTF situation ever occurred. I’m just interested in hearing some recommendations for books that would be interesting to read and could really come in handy one day.

Old 09-07-2011, 03:25 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Check out this place. They have a plethora of good books on the subject.

Paladin Press - Publishers of the Action Library

I got to use the word plethora.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-07-2011, 03:54 AM   #5

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

There is a ton of info available from Grandpappy. Food storage to soap making to recipes. I have a bunch of it printed up in a folder for if it comes to that.

Index of How to Survive Hard Times - by Robert Wayne Atkins, P.E. - Grandpappy

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Old 09-07-2011, 04:33 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8631 Times on 3740 Posts
Likes Given: 1324

My SHTF library has been acquired over the yeasr, and fairly cheaply, but it fills a few bookcases. It includes Readers Digest Back to Basics. Mother Earth Guide to Homemade Power, Dean Ing's Pulling Through, ALL the Foxfire books, Wildnerness Doctor, ALL of Euell Gibbon's books. Guide to Edible Plants, the 1903 Audel's Engineer and Mechanics Guide to Electricity, Boy Scout Handbook, Navy Blue Jacket Manual, my military FMs and TMs on assorted nastiness, reloading manuals and references- and a lot more.

Between thrift shops, used book stores, and careful shopping at Amazon, do not think I paid more than $5 for any one book.

And while I like my battery powered 3/8ths drill- I also have a brace and bits, hand saws, hand planes, chisels, hatchets, axes, bow saws- and sharpening tools. I paid $10 for the lawnmower (push type reel mower) and the grandkids love it.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 09-08-2011, 01:46 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default I'll Be Busy

Now that’s a library, and those are exactly the types of books I’d want to have. I’ll be busy for a while between those titles and links.

C3shooter, the hand tools are nice. Wood working and hand tools are what got me interested in colonial history. I’m still amazed at what people were able to create with those tools. 200 years and an industrial revolution later and the quality of our furniture today can’t even compare to antiques made with the tools you listed.

Thanks to all.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:01 AM   #8
MGH

Maybe go through your list of essentials and look for manuals on each topic.

I.E. If you have some seeds look up a good gardening manual.

Have a few books for each thing you consider "essential".

Old 09-08-2011, 02:24 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireguy View Post
There is a ton of info available from Grandpappy. Food storage to soap making to recipes. I have a bunch of it printed up in a folder for if it comes to that.

Index of How to Survive Hard Times - by Robert Wayne Atkins, P.E. - Grandpappy
Great link fireguy. Thumbs up!
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams