Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Survival & Sustenance Living Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   Information (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/information-47844/)

TLuker 09-06-2011 03:05 AM

Information

After reading some of the posts here Iíve started thinking a lot more about being prepared for various situations. I found it easiest to list things that I might need based on needs. For example, the first need in any bad situation is water. I then listed everything that goes with meeting that need. Next would be shelter, then food, and so on. The last item on my list, and perhaps the most important for me, was information. That was also the item that I had the most difficulty with.
Thereís tons of great information on the net but itís all electronic. Thereís a good chance that information isnít going to be available in a serious emergency such as a natural disaster. It almost certainly wouldnít be available in a SHTF scenario. That got me to thinking that an important part of being prepared for bad times would be an actual physical library. Now what books to put in that library?

I know there are a lot of great books out there, but there are also a lot of books that wouldnít even make a good campfire. So are there any recommendations for books?

I donít have any particular type of book in mind. Anything on topics such as emergency medicine or subsistence living would great. Books that also reference historical periods such as Colonial America would also be great. I find myself becoming more and more fascinated with how early settlers managed to survive and prosper with almost nothing. Unfortunately there arenít very many books that explain the specifics of how they did it. How exactly did they make a grinding wheel to sharpen metal tools? How did the first settlers plow a field or build a smokehouse?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.:confused:

bkt 09-06-2011 03:20 AM

If you're looking for books that contain information that will help you in a SHTF situation, there are plenty. I'm not near the bookshelf that holds some of mine, but others here can knock out some titles for you. But the most important thing is to not expect to put that information to use during a SHTF situation; you need to read the books now and learn the information ahead of time and practice it so you don't need the book after a while.

One great book to keep with you always is the Pocket Ref. It's small but contains a huge amount of useful information.

TLuker 09-07-2011 03:06 AM

Thanks

Iíve got a good collection of general reference material (Iím an engineer), but thanks for the tip. Iím also fortunate enough to have grown up in what used to be a rural area. So Iíve got the basic skills that one gets growing up hunting, trapping, and fishing. I also know just enough to realize how unprepared I am for even an extended power outage much less a SHTF situation, and Iím working to fix that.

Iíve pretty well got the basics, but thereís still a lot of information that could be useful in an emergency that one might not necessarily be prepared for. Thereís also a ton of information that would be invaluable if a SHTF situation ever occurred. Iím just interested in hearing some recommendations for books that would be interesting to read and could really come in handy one day.

CA357 09-07-2011 03:25 AM

Check out this place. They have a plethora of good books on the subject.

Paladin Press - Publishers of the Action Library

I got to use the word plethora. :D

fireguy 09-07-2011 03:54 AM

There is a ton of info available from Grandpappy. Food storage to soap making to recipes. I have a bunch of it printed up in a folder for if it comes to that.

Index of How to Survive Hard Times - by Robert Wayne Atkins, P.E. - Grandpappy

c3shooter 09-07-2011 04:33 AM

My SHTF library has been acquired over the yeasr, and fairly cheaply, but it fills a few bookcases. It includes Readers Digest Back to Basics. Mother Earth Guide to Homemade Power, Dean Ing's Pulling Through, ALL the Foxfire books, Wildnerness Doctor, ALL of Euell Gibbon's books. Guide to Edible Plants, the 1903 Audel's Engineer and Mechanics Guide to Electricity, Boy Scout Handbook, Navy Blue Jacket Manual, my military FMs and TMs on assorted nastiness, reloading manuals and references- and a lot more.

Between thrift shops, used book stores, and careful shopping at Amazon, do not think I paid more than $5 for any one book.

And while I like my battery powered 3/8ths drill- I also have a brace and bits, hand saws, hand planes, chisels, hatchets, axes, bow saws- and sharpening tools. I paid $10 for the lawnmower (push type reel mower) and the grandkids love it.

TLuker 09-08-2011 01:46 AM

I'll Be Busy

Now thatís a library, and those are exactly the types of books Iíd want to have. Iíll be busy for a while between those titles and links.

C3shooter, the hand tools are nice. Wood working and hand tools are what got me interested in colonial history. Iím still amazed at what people were able to create with those tools. 200 years and an industrial revolution later and the quality of our furniture today canít even compare to antiques made with the tools you listed.

Thanks to all.

MGH 09-08-2011 02:01 AM

Maybe go through your list of essentials and look for manuals on each topic.

I.E. If you have some seeds look up a good gardening manual.

Have a few books for each thing you consider "essential".

CA357 09-08-2011 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fireguy (Post 576143)
There is a ton of info available from Grandpappy. Food storage to soap making to recipes. I have a bunch of it printed up in a folder for if it comes to that.

Index of How to Survive Hard Times - by Robert Wayne Atkins, P.E. - Grandpappy

Great link fireguy. Thumbs up!