Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Survival & Sustenance Living Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   Indoor growing on a budget (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/indoor-growing-budget-38106/)

Scratchammo 02-07-2011 10:35 PM

Indoor growing on a budget

I'm looking for a decent grow light kit that's not too pricey. I'm trying to start early this year. Any experience with these?

bkt 02-07-2011 10:59 PM

A big southern-exposure window has always worked best for me. Failing that, a fluorescent full-spectrum fixture does OK. Buy a cheap fixture and the bulb and hang it with string, wire or chains.

Are you just getting your seedlings going or are you doing container gardening?

Scratchammo 02-07-2011 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkt (Post 439483)
A big southern-exposure window has always worked best for me. Failing that, a fluorescent full-spectrum fixture does OK. Buy a cheap fixture and the bulb and hang it with string, wire or chains.

Thanks for the tip. I'm just getting them going.

lonyaeger 02-07-2011 11:33 PM

I'm sure that Orangello will be able to give you some advice on this subject.

dog2000tj 02-08-2011 05:30 AM

Whatever you choose, do not call 911 for advice! ;)

Scratchammo 02-08-2011 06:19 AM

Well I went to Wally World & got a desk lamp with an aquarium growth bulb for the time being. I'll get the fluorescent fixture soon.

winds-of-change 02-08-2011 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkt (Post 439483)

My son is a Horticulture major in college and this is exactly what he does. He has a cheap fluorescent fixture he rigged up with wire onto to a stand he made of pvc tubing. He grows hot peppers for himself and tomato plants for me that eventually get moved outside when the weather is right.

lonyaeger 02-08-2011 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winds-of-change (Post 439924)
He grows hot peppers for himself and tomato plants for me that eventually get moved outside when the weather is right.

Yeah, uh-huh, okay. :rolleyes:

c3shooter 02-08-2011 01:03 PM

The best grow lights are the big metal halide lights you can get down at the police evidence auctions. :p

Seriously, for starting seedlings, get a shop light fixture at Lowes/ Home depot. Use the good plant light bulbs. You can hang from light w/ chain so that light can be raised as plants grow. Regular fluorescents are the wrong color spectrum- not enough red, plants will get REAL tall and spindly.

We did an A frame set up 4 ft long, 4 levels of lamps, for starting about 200 tomatoes, peppers, broccoli, cabbage- even used it for early start on squash, zucchini, cantaloupe. Used shiny aluminum foil hanging on outside to reflect light back.

Neighbors thought I had a grow operation going.

winds-of-change 02-08-2011 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lonyaeger (Post 439978)
Yeah, uh-huh, okay. :rolleyes:

Well, that's what he tells me, anyway. :D