I'm sure this has been done to death but I'm just now really getting my bob to par.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > I'm sure this has been done to death but I'm just now really getting my bob to par.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2010, 02:32 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default I'm sure this has been done to death but I'm just now really getting my bob to par.

Ok, so up untill now my BOB has consisted of my 10/22 ruger: a few boxes of shells: a small tackle box with hooks, string, a few kinds of plastic bait, some sinkers and a small multi tool: a simple .22 gun cleaning kit: a few hunting knives: a 100' spool of 550 parachord: a 5x7 tarp: a small hatchet: a mess kit:a fair first aid kit intended for just me: SAS survival guide: 3 small MRE's and a bottle of water purification tablets.

I'm expanding to a proper stature.
I will be bugging in a vehicle, so i dont PLAN on hoofing it for any distance with my gear, but i want to be able to take bulk of it on foot if need be.

My questions are as follows:
How many firearms are you carrying in your bob? - I've added my ruger 9mm to the list, and i really want to add a weatherby vanguard in .308, but dont want to sacrifice my .22 for small game intent.. Are the 2 rifles a bit much to carry into the bush in a bug out scenario? Should I consider switching off for a smaller .22 like the ruger charger or the henry .22 survival rifle that breaks down and fits into its stock?
I plan on adding a revolver to my bug out repertoire- How much ammo should i bring per weapon? .22 ammo is nothing, i can carry tons of it without much weight expenditure - so I plan on bringing atleast a 333 winchester bulk pack with me.. maybe 2. .308 ammo on the other hand is not so light... so the question is how much .308 ammo should i take? I'm thinking just 3-4 15 round mags for my 9mm is plenty - as it is a last resort weapon. Same mentality going the revolver - which will probably be a snubby .38 like the LCR or a s&w or something - and bring a 50 round box - maybe even less.
What is the practicality of a serious battle knife? Would investing the upwards of 200$ into a cold steel gurkha kukri be valid? I don't plan on looking for confrontation, but i wanna be the victor if one should arise.
What is a reasonable overall pack weight for a 215 pound 6 foot tall adult male? Same question for a 5'5 130 pound adult female of medium strength. The packs have frames and support straps.

And any off the wall suggestions that a normal thought process wldnt bring to light wld be nice. I have a VERY expansive otis tactical gun cleaning kit that i have added about 20+ items to and i feel it covers any and all gun maintenance needs i may run into. I have also beefed up my first aid supplies considerably.

IF YOU ARE SO INCLINED - pictures and lists of what your bob consists of/plans on carrying all your gear would be VERY MUCH APPRECIATED!

btw - i am planning on making a full on indefinite survival situation bag - NOT a recommended 72 hour emergency kit. I want to be ready to overcome any obstacle that may come my way. My girlfriend is also currently making a BOB. It is not as extreme as mine, it is intended to aid her ability to be self sufficient in a bug out situation if something where to happen to me.

"You should see the damage, bronze. Huh? metal damage, brain damage. Heheheh. You listen bronze. I am the Nightrider. I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller! I'm the Nightrider, baby .... .. .
and we ain't never comin' back!"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-20-2010, 05:39 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Check out this website:

http://www.survivalblog.com/index.html

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 01-20-2010, 08:12 AM   #3

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 94

If you are going to have a .308 why not carry a 22 pistol like a Ruger Mark II for rabbits and such? That pistol can shoot 100 yards still holding fairly small groups.

Every so often I get surplus bayonets from Smoky Mountain Knife Works - home of the World's largest knife showplace for less than $20. The last one I got was for an AK; sharpened up real nice, has it's own sheath and is very strong. They usually have all sorts of deals on them and usually a few different types.

Get one of those flint and steel fire starters, and some steel wool for tinder too.

Old 01-20-2010, 05:15 PM   #4

I actually already have a **** ton of magnesium fire starters, one of them being in my bob already (just forgot to mention it). My girlfriend also already have a ruger mark 3, just a P4 (4 inch bull barrel 22/45), but i can bulls eye at 50 yards with it more often than not. But it is deff going into her bob... not mine.. and like i said id really like to make them each self sufficient without the other if something happened, and at the same time have them each go for a slightly different approach so that when the time comes we have more angles covered - ie. we decided last night that she will be taking a wrist rocket slingshot and i will be taking a cold steel .625 blow gun and a bundle of different kinds of blowdarts - 2 answers to the same question, silent small game hunting.

"You should see the damage, bronze. Huh? metal damage, brain damage. Heheheh. You listen bronze. I am the Nightrider. I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller! I'm the Nightrider, baby .... .. .

Old 01-20-2010, 05:17 PM   #5

also, do the henry "survival" rifles (the ones that break down to fit into their own stock) shoot just LR, or are they capable of shorts? If they are capable of .22 shorts then it will be going into the bob no question with a handful of boxes of .22 subsonic shorts.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:28 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

A takedown 22 is okay, but if your budget can handle it, take a look at a Kel Tec 16. There's several models, they fold up and they're chambered in .223. To me it's the perfect BOB rifle.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 01-20-2010, 07:38 PM   #7

thats a pretty cool weapon... .223 is a little beefy for survival hunting tho wouldnt you think? squirrels and rabbits and feral house pets will be primary diet. Big game will not only grow scarce quickly, but seems impractical to me as preservation is a bit of a chore. Also how is the weapons performance? accuracy? ftf issues? anything like that? I deffinately like it as an assualt/defense style weapon, just idk about hunting with it.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:12 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I had the SU16CA model. It fit in my backpack with about three inches of just the barrel sticking out. A slightly larger pack and it would be completely invisible, a definite plus in my mind. It also takes AR magazines.

It was plenty accurate out to 75 yards. I never fired it out to 100 yds. so I don't know about longer distances. However, a .223 will do the job at longer ranges just fine. It was reliable and light, my wife was accurate with it and it always worked.

Maybe .223 is overkill for squirrels and such, and it's not big enough for a bear, but to me it's a great woods gun. I figure it will do most anything that's reasonably required.

I plan on eventually getting another one.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:50 PM   #9

Fair enough, i will definitely take it into serious consideration as i do have a fondness for the .223. If nothing else it is worth considering as a confrontations weapon. ty for your input vm

Old 01-26-2010, 05:38 PM   #10

sweet package deal:

1/2 off sale on army surplus, military surplus, army supply, military supply