I'm headin out west - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > I'm headin out west

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2011, 08:39 PM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Westminster,CO
Posts: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
anyone who has not spent time in the desert does not know the value of having water. A lot of water. when I hike when its warm I commonly use 1 quart an hour.
This ^^^^^^

If you only have a camelback you might have to make frequent stops depending the month you are going. If you have saddle bags carry extra water in those.
__________________
TrapperJohn is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:43 PM   #52
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Westminster,CO
Posts: 19
Default

[IMG][/IMG]



Op look at getting one of these. Used one at NTC and they work.

They are only $6.00

http://www.bestglide.com/neck_cooling_scarf.html

__________________
TrapperJohn is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:43 PM   #53
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
fireguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Wichita,Kansas
Posts: 1,853
Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
[IMG][/IMG]



Op look at getting one of these. Used one at NTC and they work.

They are only $6.00

Neck Cooling Scarf
+1 ^^^^^^^^^
I use one here in KS when it gets hot. Also a Mesh jacket is cooler in the heat than no jacket. I have a Joe Rocket, it makes me look like a power ranger, but I am comfortable.
__________________
fireguy is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 05:09 AM   #54
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains,CA
Posts: 14,563
Liked 8839 Times on 5115 Posts
Likes Given: 11542

Default

Sleeping up on a cot is a must, there are more than just rattlers to be concerned about. Shake your boots out before putting them on, regardless of the time of day. Critters like to hide in them and will crawl in even if they are high top boots standing upright. Rattlers are generally no problem, leave them alone and they will leave you alone (just don't step over rocks or logs without knowing what is on the other side! It could be a rattler.) I would sleep up on top of the truck in the Baja desert to keep away from the critters. If you have to leave the bike behind and move on foot you need to move at night and sleep during the day to keep out of the heat. Stay out of deep washes if you can't get out in a hurry. Flash floods can and do happen when there is not a cloud in the sky nearby.

__________________
Vikingdad is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 04:10 AM   #55
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Scratchammo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Memphis,The volunteer state
Posts: 1,471
Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 160

Default

Well I'm getting there. I got the motor open & found out why 3rd gear skips, the fork & sprag are worn thin. I'll be leaving sometime next month if nothing gets in the way. I found some real paracord here: 550 Parachute Cord MIL-C-5040

I also found a cool substitute for a tent, has anyone heard of the Hennessy Hammock? My choice of goggles are Wiley X but I already have to sell a Hi Point C9 to pay for parts(I won't miss it anyway). I'm still searching for appropriate attire. Does anyone know about this shirt?: Men's Tactical Speed Shirt - BattleStrong Tactical Apparel
I like the desert sand one for obvious reasons.

__________________

"THE SIERRA JUST HOTEL TANGO FOXTROT -OVER"

MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

Scratchammo is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 04:37 AM   #56
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
CA357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Oregon
Posts: 19,871
Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Default

Thanks for the link for the paracord.

__________________
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams
CA357 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 04:59 AM   #57
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mach1337's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: San Diego,CA
Posts: 364
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Scratch i have a hammock very similar to the hennessey hammock. I dont have the cover for mine but i can tell you its light as can be and pack small (just a little bigger then a soft ball but smaller then a volley ball) and its actually kinda warm even tho it thin. i sleep in it on the ship when were underway and i love it. i dont have the top cover for it but i have used it camping. pretty water resistant (not completely but did keep the dew off me) just make sure you have a good spot to tie off too. I have tied it off the the roll bars on the Jeep before and to another truck or tree... just thought that may help you out. got mine from swings and things in san diego they have a web site check it out. think mine was $70 and hold like 250-300 lbs... altho it doesnt zip up they do have nets that go over the top and attach to keep bugs and small things out. you will want something under you tho thats where it gets coldest in the hammock!

__________________

"Which is heavier a soldiers pack or a slaves chains" Napoleon
"We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."Thomas Jefferson
"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity
"No combat-ready unit ever passed inspection, and no inspection-ready unit ever passed combat."

mach1337 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:17 PM   #58
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains,CA
Posts: 14,563
Liked 8839 Times on 5115 Posts
Likes Given: 11542

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratchammo View Post
I got the motor open & found out why 3rd gear skips, the fork & sprag are worn thin.
I don't know about bikes specifically but in an automotive transmission this happens because the driver rests their hand on the shift lever which wears out the fork and sprag over time. You might pay attention to whether or not you rest your foot on the shifter while riding. I imagine this would cause the wear you describe.

Also,
Here is a great site for eyewear a and they have the goggles you are planning on getting Wiley X Motorcycle Eyewear
__________________
Vikingdad is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:24 PM   #59
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Scratchammo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Memphis,The volunteer state
Posts: 1,471
Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 160

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
I don't know about bikes specifically but in an automotive transmission this happens because the driver rests their hand on the shift lever which wears out the fork and sprag over time. You might pay attention to whether or not you rest your foot on the shifter while riding. I imagine this would cause the wear you describe.

Also,
Here is a great site for eyewear a and they have the goggles you are planning on getting Wiley X Motorcycle Eyewear
I won't deny that it's mostly my fault. When I ride my foot stays off the shifter but sometimes it grinds or slips out when I romp on it. Thanks for the link
__________________

"THE SIERRA JUST HOTEL TANGO FOXTROT -OVER"

MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

Scratchammo is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:55 PM   #60
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Scratchammo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Memphis,The volunteer state
Posts: 1,471
Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 160

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach1337 View Post
Scratch i have a hammock very similar to the hennessey hammock. I dont have the cover for mine but i can tell you its light as can be and pack small (just a little bigger then a soft ball but smaller then a volley ball) and its actually kinda warm even tho it thin. i sleep in it on the ship when were underway and i love it. i dont have the top cover for it but i have used it camping. pretty water resistant (not completely but did keep the dew off me) just make sure you have a good spot to tie off too. I have tied it off the the roll bars on the Jeep before and to another truck or tree... just thought that may help you out. got mine from swings and things in san diego they have a web site check it out. think mine was $70 and hold like 250-300 lbs... altho it doesnt zip up they do have nets that go over the top and attach to keep bugs and small things out. you will want something under you tho thats where it gets coldest in the hammock!
Do you put it in your rack or on a bulkhead?
__________________

"THE SIERRA JUST HOTEL TANGO FOXTROT -OVER"

MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

Scratchammo is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Go West Young Man, Go West hunter Joe The Club House 6 05-23-2010 05:25 PM
Must See! Lt. Col. Allen West CA357 Politics, Religion and Controversy 5 01-25-2010 02:03 AM