Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > I'm headin out west

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2011, 11:34 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 159

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Yep, see that map?

Down here in South Florida you can't go into a club without running into a cougar!
Lmao, I can vouch for that.

"THE SIERRA JUST HOTEL TANGO FOXTROT -OVER"

MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

Old 05-08-2011, 01:30 AM   #32
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1248 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 440

Temps at Havasu over the next few nights will be around 60 degrees. Once the heat up starts you will be looking a 70's to 80's minimum. Higher elevations will be colder. Take a small backpacking tent if you can. It will keep the critters out.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
If things get better with age, I am approaching magnificent.
You are either pro gun or pro crime.

Old 05-08-2011, 01:37 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
Temps at Havasu over the next few nights will be around 60 degrees. Once the heat up starts you will be looking a 70's to 80's minimum. Higher elevations will be colder. Take a small backpacking tent if you can. It will keep the critters out.
Thanks for the info. Would a cot suffice?

Old 05-08-2011, 02:57 AM   #34

OP, If you are going to the desert on a motorcycle stay on main roads where you can get WATER & SHELTER. I have spent many years in deserts, I have a love and a great respect for them.

If you are driving you need at least 5gal of water per person. As other's have said it is best to bring a rifle in very rual areas. GPS is nice but bring maps and compass as other have said. DON'T DEPEND ON THE GPS. Food is a secondary consideration to water when it comes to deserts and I am not saying you don't need it, water is just so much more important.

You need to pack clothing for really hot temps and cold temps(Not winter temps). The temp can change fast and if you are wet from sweat and it gets cold you freeze. Stay dry at night!

I have been more cold in the desert then any other place I have been and I live in the Colorado mountains and it can get -30 where I am from, but you get used to the cold. In the desert the range of temp change is what gets you.

One other thing - HAVE FUN!

If you have any questions feel free to PM me if you wish.

Old 05-08-2011, 03:37 AM   #35
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1905 Times on 1042 Posts
Likes Given: 691

I think I remember that night in the desert will swing about 40 degrees.

And bring a small spade and a roll of toilet paper.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 05-08-2011, 04:20 AM   #36

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

When my daughter, The Lovely Miss Freefall, rode her bicycle from San Jose to Austin a year or so ago I got her one of those Spot thingies. It was cool, sent a preprogrammed "I am well" message at the touch of a button and showed her location on a Google map. Has a call for help button that would send the same people that get the "I am well" a message that says "I need help" and shows the GPS location so they can arrange something, and a 911 button that calls 911 in the nearest jurisdiction. Cast $50 +$35 subscription fee. I think it was well worth it. And take a can of sardines.

Old 05-08-2011, 04:25 AM   #37

Location: Big Pool, Washington Co,Peoples Republic of Maryland
Default desert trip

Here is a bit of advice from an old guy, 71, who has ridden cross country, including several deserts, several times on a Goldwing and several Harleys. Plan your trip ahead of time based on gas, water and lodging, using maps and compass, don't waste time on a GPS unit, they are great in populated areas but scarce on info in real rural areas. Have some one where you can leave a message when you are hitting the desert, date, time and place. Buy a cargo net that stretches over your luggage so nothing falls off, took me hours to find my helmet and never found a set of elephant ears for my crash bars. Stick bottles of gatorade in the net for easy access, hot gatorade is easier to drink than hot water. Be sure to check your "Pee" it should be almost clear, if it begins to get dark yellow, drink a lot more liquids. Buy some long sleeve, oversized white tee shirts for daytime, hot sun riding. Buy several tubes of Mary Kay Cosmetics SPF 30 sunblock, it is the best available. Give yourself a good goo-mask of sunblock in the morning and hit your nose, ears and lips during the day. Don't overpack, "what you wear and one more pair". Hit a budget motel once a week and do your laundry in the shower. I recommend you try a night or so in the desert but make sure you are financially able to stay at Budget motels, traveling and camping in desert areas is not as glamorous as it sounds. Make sure your bike is in top condition, carry some oil, primary and tranny fluid. If you belong to a riding club like Harley Owner's Group, make sure you sign up for their road service program or check with your ins. agent to see if your bike has road service coverage. You are going to make memories that will last forever, I still recall every long ride I made, some of them 50 years ago. Enjoy your ride and let all of us know when you return. Wish I was going along.

Old 05-08-2011, 10:38 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
OP, If you are going to the desert on a motorcycle stay on main roads where you can get WATER & SHELTER. I have spent many years in deserts, I have a love and a great respect for them.

If you are driving you need at least 5gal of water per person. As other's have said it is best to bring a rifle in very rual areas. GPS is nice but bring maps and compass as other have said. DON'T DEPEND ON THE GPS. Food is a secondary consideration to water when it comes to deserts and I am not saying you don't need it, water is just so much more important.

You need to pack clothing for really hot temps and cold temps(Not winter temps). The temp can change fast and if you are wet from sweat and it gets cold you freeze. Stay dry at night!

I have been more cold in the desert then any other place I have been and I live in the Colorado mountains and it can get -30 where I am from, but you get used to the cold. In the desert the range of temp change is what gets you.

One other thing - HAVE FUN!

If you have any questions feel free to PM me if you wish.
The Camelbak at most will hold 3 liters. How long would that much last if used sparingly?

Even with a Kel Tec Sub 2000 I won't have enough room for a rifle however I'm pretty confident with my G.I. & SAA.

I agree on the GPS, I've been lost more WITH one. I'm a pretty small guy so I'll be able to last a while on small rations.

If the Great Basin is like the Arabian Desert then yep, those temps fluctuate heavily.

Old 05-08-2011, 10:40 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
I think I remember that night in the desert will swing about 40 degrees.

And bring a small spade and a roll of toilet paper.
Good one. Spade & tp noted.

Old 05-08-2011, 10:43 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
When my daughter, The Lovely Miss Freefall, rode her bicycle from San Jose to Austin a year or so ago I got her one of those Spot thingies. It was cool, sent a preprogrammed "I am well" message at the touch of a button and showed her location on a Google map. Has a call for help button that would send the same people that get the "I am well" a message that says "I need help" and shows the GPS location so they can arrange something, and a 911 button that calls 911 in the nearest jurisdiction. Cast $50 +$35 subscription fee. I think it was well worth it. And take a can of sardines.
Hmm that sounds pretty useful. Beacon & sardines..... Wait, what're they for?