"I'll just come to YOUR house..." - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > "I'll just come to YOUR house..."

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2012, 03:56 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

A little research says long grain rice will last indefinitely in a cool dry dark place. Beans last two years before they won't soften anymore. Brown rice lasts six months before it goes rancid due to the oils.

Old 01-02-2012, 05:09 AM   #22
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9749 Times on 4193 Posts
Likes Given: 1536

And honey seems to have a shelf life measured in centuries.

Hey. AZL! Your secret is out now. So tell me- about your "Niece" Penny......

sky-king-penny1.jpg

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:18 AM   #23
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8957 Times on 5206 Posts
Likes Given: 11781

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Or in millennia. Honey was found in the pyramids of Egypt and still good to eat.

Beekeeping is one of my preps. As a result I always have several hundred pounds of honey on hand at any given time and it is a renewable resource!

I do not advertise my preps, if anything I downplay it considerably. People know I shoot, that I reload, etc. but not what I have. The very few people who do have some knowledge of what preps I have know that if they come wanting they will have to bring something to provide. They also know without a doubt that I will not equivocate on that. At least that's what they know. The truth is I probably would and/or will equivocate. Hard to say at this point in time.

Old 01-02-2012, 02:15 PM   #24
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Rice, beans and other dry goods keep a lot longer than that if you store them correctly.

Rawles' book is certainly worth reading for some ideas.

As for "...we're coming to your house..." conversations, I've had many. The looks of disdain on the faces of the people when I tell them "I'll have to turn you away because I'm prepping for me and my family, not you and yours" is downright amusing. I always up with "If I can do it without breaking the bank then so can you, and I'm happy to share ideas and methods with you." Very few take me up on it and get into prepping.

Old 01-02-2012, 02:34 PM   #25
AZL

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:

Hey. AZL! Your secret is out now. So tell me- about your "Niece" Penny......

Attachment 36873
You have me totally confused. I have a neice...but her name is Heather. Married to a douchebag. Next to my sister's husband, I'd feed him to zombies in the first wave.

Surprize me...hose out your mangina, quit whining and actually DO something.

Old 01-02-2012, 02:35 PM   #26
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22027 Times on 12418 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
Rice, beans and other dry goods keep a lot longer than that if you store them correctly.

Rawles' book is certainly worth reading for some ideas.

As for "...we're coming to your house..." conversations, I've had many. The looks of disdain on the faces of the people when I tell them "I'll have to turn you away because I'm prepping for me and my family, not you and yours" is downright amusing. I always up with "If I can do it without breaking the bank then so can you, and I'm happy to share ideas and methods with you." Very few take me up on it and get into prepping.
i tend to be low key about this, as many think you're some conspiracy theorist if you discuss such things and are crazy. my theory is, so then if nothing bad happens, then i just have a good supply of food and such. no harm, no foul. better to have and not need, then to need and not have.

my next step is to start stocking up on MRE's and storing them. also i wouldn't encourage anyone to come to my place other than very immediate family, as if you don't have something as an asset to us, i will be most assuredly turning you away. if it comes down to this type of situation, i believe it will be survival of the fittest, and why should i support those who failed to prepare.

Old 01-02-2012, 03:04 PM   #27
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9749 Times on 4193 Posts
Likes Given: 1536

AZL- the photo was prompted by your mention of flight, and being from AZ-

Ever see an old TV show- a modern Western? "From out of the blue of the Western Sky comes SKY KING" ??? The character Sky King has a niece, Penny. His aircraft was the Songbird.

Sky King - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 01-02-2012, 03:19 PM   #28

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 22

All of the above posts offer great and difficult insight to the very tough decisions the leader will face on who is allowed in the inner circle and who is not. In my own situation, I have been quitely addressing most of the SHTF issues regarding stockpiling most of the necessary things needed. I have purposely not publicly informed many people of this as some "family" members are in for a shock should they think I am their golden parachute.

Old 01-02-2012, 03:51 PM   #29

Liked 749 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 586

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZL View Post
If you are preparing, then you have already MADE those decisions, and now you have to live or die by them. The same goes for those who have failed to prepare...if you have failed to plan, you have planned to fail and the responsibility for that course of action lies on your own shoulders.
I guess we won't be seeing you much at the local nursing home, checking on neighbors or directing traffic.

The comments made herein are those solely of this writer and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency, or entity.

Old 01-02-2012, 04:09 PM   #30
AZL

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
AZL- the photo was prompted by your mention of flight, and being from AZ-

Ever see an old TV show- a modern Western? "From out of the blue of the Western Sky comes SKY KING" ??? The character Sky King has a niece, Penny. His aircraft was the Songbird.

Sky King - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I vaguely remember some reference to it when I was a kid...but it was before my time I guess.

Surprize me...hose out your mangina, quit whining and actually DO something.