Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > "I'll just come to YOUR house..."

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2011, 11:23 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 727 Times on 443 Posts
Likes Given: 155

tough one... I'd even have a difficult time letting my kids come here, lazy as they are... My mom or inlaws, probably, but they are far enough away, not sure they'd even make it. But even then, they aren't capable of providing any supportive efforts.

Old 12-31-2011, 11:30 PM   #12

Liked 3679 Times on 1756 Posts
Likes Given: 619

I would feel an obligation to help like minded people. Say a hunter/gun lover/nobama bumpersticker kind of guy shows up. I'd help him out. Now if some granola eating, birkenstock wearing hippies showed up, I might have to start a sweat shop in my basement.

Although always be weary of people with kids. They can be the most god fearing honest people in day to day life, but when it comes to the survival of you and their kids, you come dead last.

Old 01-01-2012, 04:49 AM   #13
fmj

Liked 749 Times on 433 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Good thing the wife is a tenured nurse on the cardiac floor of the chief cardiac hospital in the area and i am tenured metal worker with years of farm/mechanical,construction, and heat/a/c experience. + a good supply of guns/ammo and reloading gear and 30+ years hunting fishing experience.

Now we just need to get the food/water/ personal hygene.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 01-01-2012, 02:21 PM   #14

Liked 136 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZL View Post
If your plan revolves around "coming to my house"...then your plan is doomed to fail from the beginning.
^this. for many reasons. What if my house was destroyed?

Old 01-01-2012, 04:32 PM   #15

Liked 46 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 240

Parents, Grandparents, brother, sister in law, sisters, brother in law, nieces, nephew. That's all that can comfortably live in this house. Aside from my nieces and nephews, Most can bring valuable skills to the table.
One is a Helicopter Pilot in the Army, before that he was a flight Medic
One is in Homeland security as a CBP officer
Both Grandparents were teachers
My mother was a nurse.
Dad is the somewhat handy man.

Woe to those who make unjust laws and to those who issue oppressive decrees. -Isaiah 10:1

Blaming guns for death is like blaming forks for obesity

Old 01-01-2012, 04:44 PM   #16

Liked 57 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I have a couple places I can go, if I choose to not go off on my own. But if I show up to your fortresses with enough food to keep myself from being a burden for a while and enough bullets to be an asset, do I get a place to sleep for a bit?

Animo non Astutia

Vae Victis

Old 01-01-2012, 07:16 PM   #17
AZL

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ploofy View Post
I have a couple places I can go, if I choose to not go off on my own. But if I show up to your fortresses with enough food to keep myself from being a burden for a while and enough bullets to be an asset, do I get a place to sleep for a bit?
IF I know you to be a person of loyalty and integrity....then yes.

See...that's the point isn't it. IF you bring something to the table so to speak...there is a possibility that you will have a place. My objection comes from those who have not, or will not do anything to prepare, and expect ME to be the one who will feed, clothe, protect, and care for them.

I have two working wells on my property...if you need water...I would share water. I MIGHT allow someone to spend a night or two under our ramada (detached covered patio to you eastern yankees), but NOT in the house. You'd have to understand and accept that SOMEONE would be watching you at ALL times, and that you would confine your wandering to the patio and the restroom that is right by it. There is a fireplace and grill on the ramada, as well as a couple of picnic tables...so there'd be no need to go wandering. You WOULD surrender all your firearms for the duration of your stay, and that they would be returned to you when you left (unless you seem like a douchebag, then your guns just became ours).

If you bring a critical skill that I or someone in my group doesn't have...then room could be made for someone like that. I can rebuild a Lycoming engine....I have been a licensed pilot for nearly 30 years...I grew up flying my Dad's Cessna 180 Skywagon, which I now own since his passing. If I couldn't maintain that with my own set of skills and you could....you'd likely earn a place. But there is no free rent or free meals.

What you have to do is MAKE the decision now, and ACT upon the decision if and when the time comes.

No matter what the circumstances, you will NOT be able to feed every swingin' weenie that comes along begging.

HOPEFULLY...urban gangs won't come to your area. I live out in the desert, where they would stick out like dildoes at Disneyland, and be totally out of their element and comfort zone. I'd be watchful, but not worried. HOWEVER...if they showed up within rifle range...the opportunity for conversation will be limited at best. Decisions.

Surprize me...hose out your mangina, quit whining and actually DO something.

Old 01-02-2012, 01:32 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 297 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 58

My list is limited to my very immediate family in the area. My in-laws would be welcome. My Brother in-law might be another story. He lives next door to me and is a felon douchebag. He works but has the IQ of a semi-retarded jr. high student. He would bring nothing to the table but an extra set of eyes.

I have a few buddies that know that I have a large collection of firearms and have put away some ammo. I don't tell anybody what my food/water storage situation is. I try to keep my belief in a coming SHTF situation kind of quiet. I've only recently gotten my wife to sort of buy into it and that was only after watching a few shows where other seemingly rational people are showing some anxiety over what could be coming. I live in an extremely small town and my plan is to stay put.

My other brother inlaw would be welcome. He is currently in Hawaii and is a Lt. Col in the Army Special Forces. I doubt that he would make it back to Illinois. He would have all kinds of skills that would be useful.

Old 01-02-2012, 02:08 AM   #19
AZL

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aandabooks View Post
My list is limited to my very immediate family in the area. My in-laws would be welcome. My Brother in-law might be another story. He lives next door to me and is a felon douchebag. He works but has the IQ of a semi-retarded jr. high student. He would bring nothing to the table but an extra set of eyes.

I have a few buddies that know that I have a large collection of firearms and have put away some ammo. I don't tell anybody what my food/water storage situation is. I try to keep my belief in a coming SHTF situation kind of quiet. I've only recently gotten my wife to sort of buy into it and that was only after watching a few shows where other seemingly rational people are showing some anxiety over what could be coming. I live in an extremely small town and my plan is to stay put.

My other brother inlaw would be welcome. He is currently in Hawaii and is a Lt. Col in the Army Special Forces. I doubt that he would make it back to Illinois. He would have all kinds of skills that would be useful.
THIS ^^^^^

Even my group of close friends don't know the extent of preparedness I have gone to. My wife has learned canning, and storage. We are not mormon, but have some neighbors who are and they have taught us a LOT about their food storage techniques. Since I retired, I put in a pretty good sized vegetable garden, and this year, we finally had a sizeable yield, where we were able to put up a metric ****load of veggies plus have ALL the veggies we wanted for the table. Every time I go deer or javelina, or pig hunting...I work on my techniques for making jerky.

I am NOT worried about food or water.

At this point my concern is mainly security. Not from a "lack of security", but from a practical application of resources point of view. As strange as it sounds...I'd like to find a couple more people whom I can trust to come here IF the SHTF.

I wonder if anyone has a Dillon Aero Minigun for sale reasonably????? LOL

Remember: Rice and dry beans are CHEAP, especially if you buy them in bulk at asian or hispanic markets and they keep forever AND provide starches and good protein!

Surprize me...hose out your mangina, quit whining and actually DO something.

Old 01-02-2012, 02:37 AM   #20

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

I have read that rice, especially brown rice only keeps for about 6 months?

Side note, looks like you've read some Rawles yourself.

NEVER FORGET