Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > I am so unprepared

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2011, 06:34 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default I am so unprepared

I downloaded a book yesterday. It is called "One Second After" by William Forsthen. As I smugly started reading it I thought I had all my bases covered if TSHTF tomorrow. There are things mentioned in that book that I NEVER considered. I have about 40 acres around me that I will have to defend from the bad guys. My wife has said she will not fight. If it all goes to hell she doesn't want to live through it and there is nothing I can do to change her mind.

In this life I fear no man. I highly respect some but fear only God and my wife. And not always in that order.

Reading this book is a real wake up call as to how unprepared most of us are in a really bad situation. If society breaks down one man or one family doesn't stand much of a chance. So my advice is to make allies and prepare, prepare, prepare.
To be very candid Im worried. This has made me take another look at my situation and supplies. I'm headed to town this evening and buying some bulk items that at the very least will be good barter items and maybe be supplies for the good guys that come. I have set up methods to prevent the zombies from getting it tho.

charlie 8 out

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-31-2011, 06:39 PM   #2

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 159

What do ya shoot?

"THE SIERRA JUST HOTEL TANGO FOXTROT -OVER"

MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

Old 07-31-2011, 06:59 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Main battle gun is M4 or Mini 14. Both in .223. My snipe gun is my 6 MM remington or .308 Remington. The 6 is custom built and is good out to a little better than 600 yrds with the 24 power scope. (old eyes )

Old 07-31-2011, 07:01 PM   #4

I think you're better prepared than you think.

Old 07-31-2011, 07:04 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I know what you mean. That book was an eye opener. I had been concerned about EMP, but that really brought it home.

I have some EMP proof bags on order from this outfit: Ready Made Resources Solar Power Disaster Preparedness Store Emergency Supplies

I figure to stash walkie talkies, a solar/crank radio and some other basics in them. I'm putting a compass in there too just for general principle.

I don't know if you are storing bulk foods or not, but they also sell mylar bags and oxygen absorbers.

The rest of the stuff they sell is a little high in price, but it's a good site to browse for ideas.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 07-31-2011, 07:07 PM   #6

I figured for an EMP I'd get replacement fuses for my bike. I'm not sure if it'll affect phones & such though.

Old 07-31-2011, 07:13 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Im actually not too worried about EMP. What scares me is the breakdown that is coming when the welfare system stops. California is one of the most welfare dependant states in the Union and if the honey stops flowing there with be havoc in the cities that will spread like a forest fire.

Old 07-31-2011, 07:17 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

That's why we got out of Sacramento. I'd have preferred to leave CA entirely, but this is where my wife is happy.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 07-31-2011, 07:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldshooter View Post
Im actually not too worried about EMP. What scares me is the breakdown that is coming when the welfare system stops. California is one of the most welfare dependant states in the Union and if the honey stops flowing there with be havoc in the cities that will spread like a forest fire.
Oh God I see where you're coming from. There's also a fault line to consider. L.A. would be considered a death trap from those two factors.

Old 07-31-2011, 07:18 PM   #10

this is why i question every survival post that comes across about how a .22 rifle will be a perfect survival rifle. then i mention you need to get bigger better stuff homie, and i get "why?".

survival dosent mean hunting and foraging. survival means fortify and defend. good job on figuring that out before you have to learn the hard way that their are smart dangerious animals that will hunt you when in the time of need.

on the side note, your inventory sounds awesome. but if i could add 1 more thing id add an AK. sorry, just impartial speeking for me.

If Sam Colt made men equal, then John Moses Browning made some men better than others.

Do not attend a gunfight with a handgun whose caliber does not start with a "4."