Hunker down SHTF list
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Hunker down SHTF list

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2010, 09:46 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Hunker down SHTF list

Okay, many times on here there are discussions about buggin out. For many, that is the only oppertunity for survival. For others on here though, we are fortunate enough to be living in an area where we would be able to survive off the land. I know in my case I already have seeds, tilled ground, and natural water sources.
That is not to say one would not encounter severe hardship or famine if not properly prepared. So, here is the idea of the thread. If you were to hunker down, what length of time would you plan to be self sufficient for and what would you be stockpiling and how much.....

My family and I already practice a lot of more primitive skills all year around. We have a fully stocked root cellar, we keep bulk items on hand (Rice, Beans, Pasta, flour, yeast, etc) we can and dehydrate/smoke meats, dehydrate veggies and fruits, can veggies and fruits, we have chickens with a good egg production to feed 7 people (there are four of us). There are many freshwater springs around to keep fresh water on hand for drinking and cleaning and a river out back to keep water for non consumption needs. The house is fitted with wood/coal heat and it requires no power. I keep ample amounts of ammo on hand for all weapons. Overall, I am confident we can hold on for an indefinate period of time with our current supplies however I just have this nagging feeling in my gut I should be preparing for real long term isolation like what I have on hand is not enough.

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves. Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American...(T)he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." (Tench Coxe, Freeman's Journal, 20 Feb 1778)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-21-2010, 12:24 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8692 Times on 3764 Posts
Likes Given: 1338

Salt.
And since the computer said that was too short, a way to grind grain. Get a copy of the Lehman's Non-Electric catalog. google lehmans kidron ohio.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 06-05-2010, 02:49 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus556 View Post
Okay, many times on here there are discussions about buggin out. For many, that is the only oppertunity for survival. For others on here though, we are fortunate enough to be living in an area where we would be able to survive off the land. I know in my case I already have seeds, tilled ground, and natural water sources.
That is not to say one would not encounter severe hardship or famine if not properly prepared. So, here is the idea of the thread. If you were to hunker down, what length of time would you plan to be self sufficient for and what would you be stockpiling and how much.....

My family and I already practice a lot of more primitive skills all year around. We have a fully stocked root cellar, we keep bulk items on hand (Rice, Beans, Pasta, flour, yeast, etc) we can and dehydrate/smoke meats, dehydrate veggies and fruits, can veggies and fruits, we have chickens with a good egg production to feed 7 people (there are four of us). There are many freshwater springs around to keep fresh water on hand for drinking and cleaning and a river out back to keep water for non consumption needs. The house is fitted with wood/coal heat and it requires no power. I keep ample amounts of ammo on hand for all weapons. Overall, I am confident we can hold on for an indefinate period of time with our current supplies however I just have this nagging feeling in my gut I should be preparing for real long term isolation like what I have on hand is not enough.
I would say you and your family are ready for a natural disaster but dont forget the other kind of disaster's like the man made ones if a chemical is released and the cloud of it drops on the ground you could be stopped growing crops for a while ..... and dont forget that really nasty stuff like a radiation fallout condition... you have a natural for survival in the land use and storage .. I have a large shop i use to not only do some minor house and yard jobs I am partly disabled now and can only do small jobs around the house my wife and I are over 50 I am retired long haul truck driver as well as a old ships engineer so I have alot of know how but I also have a great nieghbor he is still driving long haul . We take care of each others family and animals . we also work together on all our survival needs we keep enough food and water for all seven of us he has two kids and a mother in law as well as his wife . we stock pile dry food stuff and water for aprox. 6 months we also practice using our equipment fire,shelter,safety,and comfort I do reloading of black powder cartridge's as well as smokeless ammo we have a few weapons for defense as well as hunting. we like covering all the basics and dont forget any prescription drugs as well as a few good and well stocked first aid packs.. and dont be afraid to check with your local fire department for some first aid training...

Old 08-17-2011, 10:30 PM   #4
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1319 Times on 689 Posts
Likes Given: 606

Gus556, remember that "indefinite" means that there is no limit to the amount of time. It sounds like your set for food production, heat and water, but how about reloading equipment, primers, smokeless powder, bullet molds? Your brass can be recycled a dozen times in non +P loads...it would be a shame to let them fall to the ground after one firing! This is the only thing that is going to keep your guns in the category of "indefinite" for the long run.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 08-17-2011, 10:40 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I just keep adding. I figure more of everything is better. I really don't know how many months we can go, there will be many variables, so like I said, I just keep adding.

Anybody got gas masks and spare filters?

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-17-2011, 11:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post

Anybody got gas masks and spare filters?
dude seriously, where can you get a working one? all the usual sites have gas masks from nam era, and non working filters.

If Sam Colt made men equal, then John Moses Browning made some men better than others.

Do not attend a gunfight with a handgun whose caliber does not start with a "4."

Old 08-18-2011, 01:17 PM   #7
Is it Friday yet?
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcprofessional View Post
dude seriously, where can you get a working one?
Not cheap, but they have everything you need.

Respiratory - Safety - Grainger Industrial Supply

Respirators - Safety Supplies | Lab Safety Supply

Old 08-18-2011, 01:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Michalik View Post
thanks, but im looking for something i can use to fight through CS, not really survive a 1950's fallout. bookmarked though.

If Sam Colt made men equal, then John Moses Browning made some men better than others.

Do not attend a gunfight with a handgun whose caliber does not start with a "4."

Old 08-18-2011, 02:53 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I bought new Israeli masks and a bunch of filters. They're standard NATO filters. Check the online surplus stores and survival/preps websites. Most of the ones for sale are outdated Russian, Eastern European or Chinese junk.

I wanted U.S. masks, but the Israeli masks are top quality and they cost much less than the US made ones.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-18-2011, 06:25 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
I bought new Israeli masks and a bunch of filters. They're standard NATO filters. Check the online surplus stores and survival/preps websites. Most of the ones for sale are outdated Russian, Eastern European or Chinese junk.

I wanted U.S. masks, but the Israeli masks are top quality and they cost much less than the US made ones.
I'm with you on the Israeli masks CA. There is a store in Albuquerque called Army-navy surplus that has them and new NATO filters. They will do fine in CS or OC.