Humble SHTF collection for the non tactical crowd - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum >

Humble SHTF collection for the non tactical crowd

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2010, 03:33 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am soon to get the Marlin XL7 in 30-06. Everything I have read from owners of this rifle has been largely positive. In my opinion, the 30-06 caliber is such a versatile round and commonly available.

Regards,

Swampbilly

Old 09-14-2010, 06:32 PM   #12

I wouldnt say humble. You have what you feel you will need. As long as your proficent with all of them thats what counts. Id rather have you as a friend/neighbor than some bozo that has all the newest tact gear/weapons and couldnt hit a bull in the ass with a banjo.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:39 PM   #13
Is it Friday yet?
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yup, that right there will getter done.

Old 09-15-2010, 01:53 AM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I gave the 30-06 a LOT of thought. Owned one when I lived in Washington State. Loved it. We had black bear and elk so the 30-06 was perfect for that area. It really hammers elk. Where I live now the whitetail are the size of a German shepard dog. I feel a bit guilty shooting them with the 270. The 243 would have been a better choice but I may move someday and figured the 270 is a happy medium. I have seen elk taken with the .270 without issue. Pick your shots and don't get crazy it works fine.
You'll like the Marlin XL7. As a "budget" rifle it has a lot of upper end features. It has a three piece bold much like the Savage rifles. They are very accurate right out of the box and the trigger is adjustable. I think it is the best thing since sliced bread. I owned a couple Remington 700 rifles and I admit I like these Marlins better.

Old 09-19-2010, 09:57 AM   #15

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

I live in the hills of Eastern Kentucky and do not need the reach of the .270 my rifle is .308.

The amount of bullets I believe will be more important than the size. So I'm going 9mm, cost less-buy more.

I agree on purchase price ideal.

AR-15 $1000.00 one family member armed. Hi-Point 9mm carbine $1000.00 entire family armed.

Hi-cap pistol with lots of mags I think thats a good ideal.

A 22 rimfire rifle and a 12 gauge pump shotgun are the most important.

My sons don't really understand what could happen WTSHTF so in the past few months I have given them each two guns. I will also make sure they have access to ammo.

I still would like a 9mm revolver, 12 gauge single shot, and a couple more 22 rimfire rifles

BULLETS MORE VALUABLE THAN GOLD, BECAUSE WITH BULLETS YOU CAN SHOOT FOOD, OR TAKE FOOD FROM SOMEONE ELSE.

IF YOU OFFER A PERSON GOLD THEY MAY NOT SELL YOU FOOD, IF YOU OFFER THEM A BULLET THEY WILL GIVE YOU FOOD.

Old 09-19-2010, 05:57 PM   #16

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by notamoocher View Post
I live in the hills of Eastern Kentucky and do not need the reach of the .270 my rifle is .308.

The amount of bullets I believe will be more important than the size. So I'm going 9mm, cost less-buy more.

I agree on purchase price ideal.

AR-15 $1000.00 one family member armed. Hi-Point 9mm carbine $1000.00 entire family armed.

Hi-cap pistol with lots of mags I think thats a good ideal.

A 22 rimfire rifle and a 12 gauge pump shotgun are the most important.

My sons don't really understand what could happen WTSHTF so in the past few months I have given them each two guns. I will also make sure they have access to ammo.

I still would like a 9mm revolver, 12 gauge single shot, and a couple more 22 rimfire rifles

BULLETS MORE VALUABLE THAN GOLD, BECAUSE WITH BULLETS YOU CAN SHOOT FOOD, OR TAKE FOOD FROM SOMEONE ELSE.

IF YOU OFFER A PERSON GOLD THEY MAY NOT SELL YOU FOOD, IF YOU OFFER THEM A BULLET THEY WILL GIVE YOU FOOD.
That is the way it will be, in a nutshell. Tell your boys to read "The Road", "Lucifer's Hammer" or "One Second After". Then they will understand.

Ammo will be "ballistic wampum". Gotta have plenty to use, and plenty to trade.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 09-20-2010, 02:45 AM   #17

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

The Road is a great book, my sister gave it to me about 8 months ago. I finished it in about 4 evenings, If you were the person who asked about COLLAPSE by Jared Diamond national geographic channel has a show about our collapse which features Diamond. Let me know what you think after you read it.

Old 09-20-2010, 01:08 PM   #18

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by notamoocher View Post
The Road is a great book, my sister gave it to me about 8 months ago. I finished it in about 4 evenings, If you were the person who asked about COLLAPSE by Jared Diamond national geographic channel has a show about our collapse which features Diamond. Let me know what you think after you read it.
That was me, but I have not had time to get it yet. I'll have my wife pick up a copy this week.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 11-03-2010, 02:57 AM   #19

I like your shotgun thoughts but would add that there are times when being armed is a great little secret to have. Its just a tad harder to move around in certain situations when everyone who sees you knows up front that you are packing a shotgun. In a zombie invasion, there may come a time when you will have to bluff your way in close and surprise your enemy with a quick draw, sight alignment and double tap. Just a thought.

Old 11-05-2010, 04:44 PM   #20

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Hmm, I agree, sorta?

Helo all, RON L here - SERE SURPLUS

I'm looking at his list of guns and I sorta agree! Not a Lot of Bases not covered and if the 22 LR was added 9Unless it was and I missed that) ,most allw as set/ I don't agree on the handgun, as I see it as indespensable to me and my uses, thats Me though and not saying that it has to be for him? I'm more of a tactical Rifle kinda guy, but I have most the same bases covered, I don't see it as me right , him wrong, just different options he picked? having the ammo as well as the suport gear is far more importtant that 25 other rifles sitting in the closet or safe?