Humble SHTF collection for the non tactical crowd
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Humble SHTF collection for the non tactical crowd

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2010, 10:13 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Humble SHTF collection for the non tactical crowd

For those of us who are not drawn to the military style weapons for a SHTF situation I offer my humble collection for your critic. I am older with some of the common "older peoples" problems. Not much of a chance of me bugging out and living in the sticks for long periods. I have bought weapons to use to gather food with defense as a secondary roll.
My collection is not complete as yet but it is getting close. I like the idea of having two of everything. It makes no sense to stockpile lots of ammo and only own one complicated rifle. It breaks and your stuck throwing bullets and swinging your broken club. Most of my collection are on the inexpensive side, Yet in my opinion they are built with quality materials and should funtion for years. I have stock piled critical spare parts for the levergun just to be on the safe side.
I live in Arizona and what I have is geared towards the area in which I live. In a SHTF situation I plan to stay low and avoid conflict unless I am positive I have a better than even chance of winning. To old and beat up for the running gun battle thing.

1. Two Marlin XL7 rifles in .270 winchester- Hunting & defense in the field

2. Two H&R single shot 20 gauge shotguns- Gathering small game/birds

3. Marlin 1894C and Tarus 65 in .357 magnum- Defense and deer/small game

4. Marlin .22lr- Hunting and last ditch defense

I plan on getting another levergun, revolver and .22 rifle. One piece at a time. I have stock piled reloading components for these guns and figure I could reload for quite some time.
No plan is perfect. My choices probably wouldn't be suitable for someone in the inner city. But for the rural desert southwest these fit the bill just fine..

The world be strange except for me and thee, and sometimes I think thou art a bit odd....

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-13-2010, 11:31 PM   #2

Not a bad idea. I like the lever actions, good solid, well proven firearms. Same with the wheel gun. Less that could go wrong. May I suggest adding at least 1 black powder rifle? I've also got one of those single shot shotguns that I use all the time in 12 gauge.

Last edited by Ruger44; 09-13-2010 at 11:35 PM.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:20 AM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Nice collection.

I would suggest a couple of get out of trouble fast firearms like a semi auto hand gun with lots of extra mags, and a semi auto or pump 12 gauge.

Old 09-14-2010, 02:10 AM   #4

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Default The rule of twos...

Two is one, and one is none.

Welcome aboard. Stop by the Intros and tell us a bit more about yourself when you get a minute.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 09-14-2010, 02:54 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jca1 View Post
Nice collection.

I would suggest a couple of get out of trouble fast firearms like a semi auto hand gun with lots of extra mags, and a semi auto or pump 12 gauge.

I won't own any semi auto handguns. For the money one needs to buy a good dependable semi auto I could get a couple Mossberg 500 pumps and have change to spare. Actually I do have plans for a couple 12 gauge shotguns probably the plain old Mossbergs from Walmart. There isn't a handgun made that can even come close to being as effective as the shotgun. To me the handgun is a very last option when I have run out of everything else. I have owned semi auto pistols in the past and one gets what one pays for. Get a cheap one and your asking for trouble. If my life is on the line I would rather have a 20 or 12 bore or even the lever gun over a pistol no matter how many mags one has. Pistols take much practice, a shotgun very little.... But that's just me. I have seen some darn good shooters with a handgun. I just do better with a rifle or scattergun.

The world be strange except for me and thee, and sometimes I think thou art a bit odd....

Old 09-14-2010, 03:01 AM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Sounds good to me.

I love Mossberg shotguns. I have a pump 12ga. that has never missed a lick.

Old 09-14-2010, 03:05 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger44 View Post
Not a bad idea. I like the lever actions, good solid, well proven firearms. Same with the wheel gun. Less that could go wrong. May I suggest adding at least 1 black powder rifle? I've also got one of those single shot shotguns that I use all the time in 12 gauge.
Good suggestion. My brother bought a real cheap 50 cal inline black powder rifle some years ago. Nothing would shoot well through it. He then tried 45 caliber 300 gr Hornady XTP HP pistol bullets inside of a plastic cup over 90 grains of powder. Accuracy was great. He downed a lot of game with that rifle. Everything he shot with it just died on the spot. It was amazing. That has always stuck with me. All I use in my .357 loads are Hornady 158 grain XTP's. I would like a rifle like that but it will have to wait until after income tax return. Need to get another lever gun and the shotguns. I like the shotguns over the .22 lr but I feel every home should have a decent .22 rifle. Very versatile caliber.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:02 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Very efficient and very effective.

You add a short barreled 12 gauge shotgun, and a 45 caliber pistol in that mix, and you're all set.

Regards,

Swampbilly

Last edited by Swampbilly; 09-14-2010 at 05:08 AM.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:45 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'll arm wrestle you for your Marlin. Nice collection you have there. I think you've got your basis covered.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 09-14-2010, 02:50 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Walmart has the Mossberg 500 for a little over $220 each. Not a bad deal. Have owned them in the past and never had an issue.
I really need another Marlin 1894C. You wouldn't believe how handy those rifles are. This one sports a Williams peep sight on the back and a fire sight on the front. That firesight was the best investment I could have made. Put it on myself which means anyone can do it. In low light it twinkles a bright red and makes it easy to aim in low light situations. My next one will sport a low power scope but I have a skinner peep just in case anything happens to the scope. Those Hornady XTP bullets cycle through as smooth as butter. It is big enough to knock our small whitetail flat at 100 yards and can be downloaded for small game/javalina usage if needed. 9 shots gived one a comfy feeling especially if one carries a revolver of the same caliber. A man can carry a lot of .357 ammo if a bug out is needed. My next revolver is going to be a taurus .357 snubbie. Believe it is a model 605. Got to have a hidaway gun in the mix... In my humble opinion for a revolver the minimum caliber should be the .357 magnum. It is the queen of the revolver calibers. I have seen deer and even black bear killed with it. The .44 mag is a great round but the revolvers it comes in are quite heavy and recoil is stout. May be too much for the smaller members of the family. For those with semi autos I wouldn't even consider one below .40 & .45 caliber. (IMHO) Bigger is better when it comes to semi autos.
Another .22 (Marlin model 60) will be the last one to be purchased. The .22lr is a great inexpensive game getter and allows the younger members of the family to be able to defend the home if needed. (great girls gun)
I cannot say enough good things about the Marlin XL7 rifles. I put Sightron S1 scopes on them. I have owned many calibers over the last few decades and with the exception of the 6.5x55 swede I find the .270 winchester to be the best all around caliber for where I live. Got to pick one in a common caliber. They come in all the favorite calibers-243, 7mm-08, 308, 25-06, 270 and the great 30-06.. One of these should cover the area in which you live. Even most smaller women can shoot the 270 without much problem. Marlin did it right with this rifle!
Too many guns? Perhaps. But no one gun will cover every situation. If I had to pick just one gun to survive with it would have to be a pump shotgun with multiple barrels. You can down big game with a slug gun and switch over and live off starlings and robins if one had to. (It's been done, trust me on this) A rifle will down game yet it's tough to bird hunt with a 30-06. The .22 is a versitile caliber but far from ideal for big game and birds.
Anyway, this are my humble choices. I admit I drool a bit when I see some of the expensive military guns some of you guys sport. They have a place in anyones collection. I'm kinda old school. Wouldn't even know how to operate some of them fancy things. But never say never.) Maybe someday I will post a picture with me and a peice that looks like it came out of one of the Star Wars films.

Last edited by thetoad45; 09-14-2010 at 03:05 PM.