How will it start and end:shtf: - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > How will it start and end:shtf:

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2011, 07:12 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 46 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 244

I think it will be more of an economic disaster (collapse of the dollar, no utilities etc.) instead of some sort of Civil war. Congress is more to blame for our economic situation than the pres. is (*flame shield activated*) and things are looking grim in the long run.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:18 PM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmaster456 View Post
I think it will be more of an economic disaster (collapse of the dollar, no utilities etc.) instead of some sort of Civil war. Congress is more to blame for our economic situation than the pres. is (*flame shield activated*) and things are looking grim in the long run.
I agree with the dollar collapse as a possibility...but the civil war could be triggered shortly by that. Most Asian & African nation that had major currency devaluation did not go to civil unrest but I am not sure if Americans will be as "tolerant".

As to who is to be blamed...most of the politicians (all level) as far as I am concerned.

“Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.”

"Memories are pictures in your mind." - Kathryn (my 3 year old daughter)

Old 12-13-2011, 08:22 PM   #13
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

There are a couple angles that are closely related that could be the catalyst for big problems. One is the ideological polarization in the U.S.: those who embrace big government and collectivism and those who understand property rights. The other is our monetary crisis. They're related because those who want wealth from others are finding that well is running dry all over the world and to a lesser degree in our country.

Given the serious problems in Europe and the dependency China and India have on the U.S., there are any number of ways currency globally can fail. There isn't a solid, stable currency we can all shift to, either.

Will it happen overnight? Probably not without an outside influence like a MAJOR terror attack or some other disaster. Currencies tend to slide in value without a big problem and that's what we're in now; inflation is increasing and will continue to increase until we overhaul our monetary system. At some point, enough people will find they can't live on what they get and that issue - hunger - is what would bring widespread civil problems.

A real SHTF scenario is probably a ways off (I hope) if it happens at all. If our currency fails enough, the ideologues will come out of the woodwork and, particularly collectivists, will demand the government use force to "spread the wealth around a little". How would you feel about having your food stores and precious metals confiscated for the greater good? All you'd have to do is take your token to the municipal food bank to take out your daily ration of your own food. I know that wouldn't flush with me or anyone I know.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:11 PM   #14
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1851 Times on 1002 Posts
Likes Given: 565

Dont forget the prospect of an EMP attack. North Korea probably has or is close to having a delivery system. Iran may have the delivery system and needs to build the bombs. China and Russia have the capability and both are preparing for war. How long could the country survive with the electrical grid destroyed and possibly years before it could be rebuilt? Delivery trucks not running. communications down. Sure whoever did the deed would be annihilated from our hardened and protected missiles if the order could be given and we knew who did it.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 12-13-2011, 10:23 PM   #15

Liked 1957 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

[QUOTE- Sure whoever did the deed would be annihilated from our hardened and protected missiles if the order could be given and we knew who did it.[/QUOTE]

Hence my signature line...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 12-13-2011, 11:11 PM   #16

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

It does seem like the board is being set and the players, (you can name whom ever fits your agenda) are sitting down to the table. As articulated in previous post the problems are large and varied. Economic,political, and just plain hate. It's all there and being used to season the fry pan.

I work in utilities and would like to share some information. An e.m.p would be devasting to our way of life. There is a back door way that also is a great threat to the utility infrastructure. We are doing to ourselves.

SCADA
SUPERVISORY CONTROL AND DATA AQUSITION

It is the linking of all utilities to a central control system via the internet. This isn't top secret stuff. Just easily overlooked. Google it and you will find plenty of information in trade magazines.
All someone needs is a laptop,coffee shop wifi, and a hacker. No boom. But everything goes black.

NEVER FORGET

Last edited by downsouth; 12-13-2011 at 11:23 PM.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:23 PM   #17

Liked 43 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by downsouth
It does seem like the board is being set and the players, (you can name whom ever fits your agenda) are sitting down to the table. As articilated in previous post the problems are large and varied. Economic,political, and just plain hate. It's all there and being used to season the fry pan.

I work in utilities and would like to share some information. An e.m.p would be devasting to our way of life. There is a back door way that also is a great threat to the utility infrastructure. We are doing to ourselves.

SCADA
SUPERVISORY CONTROL AND DATA AQUSITION

It is the linking of all utilities to a central control system via the internet. This isn't top secret stuff. Just easily overlooked. Google it and you will find plenty of information in trade magazines.
All someone needs is a laptop,coffee shop wifi, and a hacker. No boom. But everything goes black.
Ya emp would suck as s

Old 12-13-2011, 11:47 PM   #18
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
Dont forget the prospect of an EMP attack. North Korea probably has or is close to having a delivery system. Iran may have the delivery system and needs to build the bombs. China and Russia have the capability and both are preparing for war. How long could the country survive with the electrical grid destroyed and possibly years before it could be rebuilt? Delivery trucks not running. communications down. Sure whoever did the deed would be annihilated from our hardened and protected missiles if the order could be given and we knew who did it.
An EMP attack would only make sense if the U.S. were of no use to any of these nations.

NK is NOT close to having a delivery system. Iran is with its Shahab 4, but it's not big enough to carry a big nuke to altitude. And it doesn't have nukes, yet. But even Iran understands it would not be in its best interest to pop a big-mama nuke 60 miles over North Dakota.

While the possibility of this exists, it seems less likely right now than other less glamorous (?) bad news situations.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:04 AM   #19

Liked 1957 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoppingpower View Post
Ya emp would suck as s
Dude, your're gonna get hammered with the language...plenty of ways to say a word and not actually write it...just sayin'...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 12-14-2011, 12:04 AM   #20

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

I had never heard the term "black swan event". I googled it and my understanding is that it would be a perfect storm type scenerio? Several events and circumstances happing at one time? Or do I need to read some more?

NEVER FORGET