How serious are you about prepping and why? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > How serious are you about prepping and why?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2011, 04:05 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Jimmy, I think most people just go conventional routes because they think being energy independant is impossible. We have solar panels here, though I prepare for worst case situation where I have to leave my house just incase. We make some electricity out of the panels and use it currently for the extra things. But if we needed to we can make -enough- power to get by. We wouldn't be running the A/C and using the computer and doing laundry all day at the same time like we do now, but we could run the lights and the Well pump at the same time and that's enough to get by i suppose.

I just remembered a story I read about a guy out in california who gets paid for using solar power because what he produces in excess of his own uses the electric company buys from him.

Old 09-28-2011, 01:27 AM   #22

Default Ramping up

Based on our current economic and political landscape, I believe we're boned regardless of which side wins next year, though the method of our demise will be different depending.

And not just us, Putin gets back behind the wheel in Russia and Europe is capital P pooched.

Based on this, I've been seriously ramping up my preparations. I've got my five weapons picked out and am stocking up on gun food.

Each time I shop, I pick up around $20 worth of canned or dry food. I don't eat out of cans now, for health reason more than anything, so they go straight into the basement. Once the SHTF, I'll stop worrying about sodium.

The truck is about as tough as I can get it. Susceptible to EMP but I'm considering just picking up an old diesel as a just in case measure. Though, honestly, EMP is fairly low on my list. Massive epidemic outbreaks due to rampant overpopulation tops my list, hyperinflation just a notch below it.

Inventory:
AK-74
M1911-A1
CETME .308 Sporter
Sig SP2022
Ruger 10/22
Hi-Standard Duramatic M-101
H&R 1874 12 Guage
Mosin Nagant M91/30
K-98 Mauser
Ithaca M-66

“It's too easy sometimes to give in to despair, unless, of course, you’re talking about politics, in which case you don't really have any other option.” Mike Littwin

Old 10-03-2011, 08:13 PM   #23

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 32

We are hi-tech pioneering! Meaning we currently rely on solar (PV) and battery array (off-grid), as well as some use of propane, wood, and fuel. The country location we picked is not favorable to most city folks and pilgrims.....which is the advantage we selected. The few ranch type neighbors we have within ten miles are, like minded folks, and the small nearby town population is mainly self-sufficient types.

Two years ago we were planning for a country escape location......the more we thought about it, the more serious we got.....we stopped planning, and did it! Picked up and moved from the city to our country homestead. Preparing is a lot more enjoyable and easy when you are out of the social mess....

Old 10-03-2011, 08:22 PM   #24

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 766

We have a great Government Organization called F.E.M.A. Why should we prepare?

Last edited by m72law; 10-03-2011 at 08:28 PM.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:10 PM   #25

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

When the economy collapses will the people at f.e.m.a work or go help there own family also f.e.m.a had problems with storms down south remember that ya when the. S.h.t.f they wont be abel to help us all and they wont. O and at this point if Obama is running it just know ur screwed. (: any other thoughts anyone.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:55 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 103 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I think m72law was being sarcastic

Old 10-03-2011, 10:29 PM   #27

I was a prepper when prepping wasn't cool (early 80's). Nice to see the community grow the last few years with others that aren't completely off the deep end. Nothing against the really radical preppers (doomsdayers), but we try to live as normal lifestyle as possible while prepping.

We live in the New Madrid fault area and have always prepped for natural disaster type situations and possible civil unrest. Nowdays, more so for troubled economic times.

We're about as far off the grid as possible, for us, with the exception of alternative electrical power. We haven't taken the solar plunge and don't know that we will. We have a hobby farm on several acres, do some canning, gardening, and raise a few critters. Can easily feed ourselves and the critters for a year.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:47 PM   #28
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDCent View Post
I was a prepper when prepping wasn't cool (early 80's). Nice to see the community grow the last few years with others that aren't completely off the deep end. Nothing against the really radical preppers (doomsdayers), but we try to live as normal lifestyle as possible while prepping.

We live in the New Madrid fault area and have always prepped for natural disaster type situations and possible civil unrest. Nowdays, more so for troubled economic times.

We're about as far off the grid as possible, for us, with the exception of alternative electrical power. We haven't taken the solar plunge and don't know that we will. We have a hobby farm on several acres, do some canning, gardening, and raise a few critters. Can easily feed ourselves and the critters for a year.
The problem with "doomsday" preppers or folks who anticipate a specific event is that when that event doesn't come to pass, they feel goofy and sell all the stuff they bought because they figure the big problem isn't ever going to come.

That's not prepping.

Preppers live a little bit different lifestyle than most folks and have a good store of goods on hand that they buy cheap or make themselves whether anything bad happens or not. That can include dry goods, meat, power, water, etc. Since I started prepping, I'm eating better and spending less. That's a win even without zombies.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:51 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by m72law View Post
We have a great Government Organization called F.E.M.A. Why should we prepare?
OK I got to know how did you type this with a straight face? i would have been laughing to hard to even get it out.

Old 10-04-2011, 04:01 PM   #30

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have just tried to always be prepared. I am Impulse driven at times and come Friday afternoon I can tell my wife and kids, let's go camping and be on the road in less than an hour. I was a cub scout and a boy scout and always ready to go. In Indiana on 4-11-1965 we had a major tornado outbreak. I lived in Marion and our home was just out of the path of a mile wide tornado. We had hail as big as grapefruits punch holes through the roof and roll around in the attic. We had no power for a week. The only water was in the towers and when they went dry so did the town. There was no FEMA. My Granddad who grew up on the farms without utilities knew exactly what to do and how to do it. I was impressed and knew then at 7 yr old that I had to learn all this and be able to carry on Grandpas ways. He had me shooting the 22 at 2 yrs old. So whether it is the Government, storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, airplane crashes or terrorists I'm prepared.