Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Survival & Sustenance Living Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   How serious are you about prepping and why? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/how-serious-you-about-prepping-why-48767/)

Jimmy 09-25-2011 01:12 AM

How serious are you about prepping and why?

Just curious how many take their preps serious and what are you generally planning for?

Jimmy

dunerunner 09-25-2011 01:31 AM

I live in Tsunami Central on the Oregon Coast. The active fault is 10 miles off shore, I'll have 15 minutes to load the Jeep and get to higher ground; witch will take 30 minutes.

My hope is that I have a good enough plan that I can beat the water by a couple of minutes!!

I have food, shelter, clothes, fuel, propane, dry fire starting materials, lanterns, guns and ammo for that.

I am planning a shelter at the house for the SHTF societal implosion if it happens. There will be food, heat, sleeping quarters and a small cook stove, some refrigeration, battery array and inverter to run everything and a 20 amp electrical drop from the house. Water is provided by a 200 gallon plastic cistern that is connected to the down spouts from the roof.

That's it so far!!

trip286 09-25-2011 01:31 AM

Self sufficiency. I do not prep myself. What I'm counting on in a SHTF situation is trying to make it about 2 hours south of here, and hoping that place is still on the map. If I can make it down the road to the rest of my family, I'll be set-because they DO prep, and are serious about it. We're talking underground shipping containers kind of prep.

I have BOBs and that's about it. One for me, wife, son, and putting one together for a neighbor who is elderly and disabled, he'll be going with us.

CA357 09-25-2011 02:29 AM

I am deadly serious. I prepare because life is uncertain, nature is uncertain and man is a destructive animal.

bkt 09-25-2011 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CA357 (Post 586239)
I am deadly serious. I prepare because life is uncertain, nature is uncertain and man is a destructive animal.

What he said.

For me, it's mostly the "life is uncertain" part. I could lose my job, get hit with some unforeseen expense, etc. and the prepper mentality helps get you through stuff like that.

Also, the food quality of home-grown stuff tends to be higher and cheaper than store-bought produce. Don't even get me started on the quality of venison over most beef. So even if nothing ever happens, my lifestyle lets me save money and eat better.

TLuker 09-25-2011 03:46 AM

I'll Bite

I think everyone’s got a different attitude about preps. For me it’s just something I enjoy doing. I don’t think of it as “taking it seriously” or “not taking it seriously”. I enjoy acquiring new skills and becoming more self-sufficient. I also enjoy a connection to and understanding of the past. Many of those “new” skills are only new to me and have actually been around for hundreds if not thousands of years.

As for “what I’m preparing for”, I’m not really preparing for anything. I have an appreciation for how bad things could become as a result of any number of events. Being more self-sufficient will hopefully make those events easier to weather. Like some have stated on this site, you don’t plan on anything bad happening but you still buy insurance. But I don’t think of being more self-sufficient as preparing for something bad. I think of it as acquiring new skills which are at the very least useful, and could potentially be indispensable. That’s more than you’ll get from a video game or watching T.V.

Jimmy 09-25-2011 12:27 PM

Thanks for some great replies so far.

I was still a young man, working for Standard Oil Of CA, when the Oil embargo hit us in '73. After going thru that, I decided then things would change for me. I would try to be ready for anything that came along. So I've been a prepper of sorts for about 35+ years.

For the last 12 yrs I've managed to make myself as close as I can to self-sufficient. Growing more than enough food. Very large garden, fruit trees, chickens, turkeys, 2 goats, feeding out wild caught hogs, 2 ponds that I eat out of regular :D. Three sources of water, with one being 2200 gallons. Minor solar and just got my first wind genset. It's just 400 watts at peak but adds to the battery charge....Experimenting with low electric use refrigeration for food as we speak.

And of course a "tool set" of weapons. I've tried to keep it simple and only 4 calibers/gauges to procure and load for. .22, .40, 12 ga, .308.

And I'm surrounded by self-sufficient types. We all have each others back. It's nearly like a prepper communitiy.

Jimmy

hiwall 09-25-2011 01:50 PM

I guess I'm not a prepper. I live in an area where an act of nature causing a SHTF situation is very unlikely. For acts of man, if it is nuclear everyone is screwed anyway. For economic collapse(the most likely) I feel I would have at least a weeks notice(most likely longer) and that would be plenty of time to finish my preps. I do keep a couple weeks of food,water filters,keep all vehicles full of fuel, and of coarse I have guns/ammo. For me this seems like enough prep for my wife and my situation. Just have to stay aware national/world events as they unfold. As troubles appear to get worse then add to your preps as you see fit.

IGETEVEN 09-25-2011 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CA357 (Post 586239)

Spot on. :cool:

TLuker 09-25-2011 03:01 PM

Nice

Jimmy, it sounds like you're right about where I hope to be. I've got a few years left before I'll be able to buy a nice piece of land in the country. Until then, I'm learning as much as I can and preparing what I can. I'm pretty well set on the basics, and electricity and home design are what I'll be working on over the next couple of years. I'm already becoming more and more fascinated with historical architecture. I'm slowly figuring out how to use that along with modern conveniences like solar panels to create a really nice and sustainable home.

Hopefully you'll post some of the things you've learned about generating power and conserving it.