How much ammo to stockpile for SHTF - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > How much ammo to stockpile for SHTF

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2010, 03:45 AM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

That's a good start fireguy, you're on the way to a goodly supply.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 10-14-2010, 03:20 AM   #32

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Purchase weapons that consolidate ammo. I have 2 SKS's and a drako "Pistol"
I have 3k rounds or so of 7.62 x 39 about a 1/4 of that is high quality domestic or old school steel core...the rest is cheap commie surplus that i plan on phasing out as I plink.
Have several mags coded for ammo type and use accordingly for target at hand.

Shotguns: Mossberg 500, and a Remi 11-87. I have around 1000 shells with coded bandoleers..all 12gauge 2 3/4" ranging from Tactical slugs and buck to birdshot.

I also have a Marlin slugmaster with around fifty Brennakke 3" Tyranasaur slugs well segregated from my other shotgun shells.

Pistol: only have a couple hundred rounds. Not to concerned here, if i found myself relying on my 1911 for any length of time...I better be retreating to beg, borrow or steal something else.

Old 10-29-2010, 06:34 AM   #33

Too much ammo s like having too much money. Is there such a thing? All kidding aside, if SHTF where I'm at I'm probably bugging. Having a couple of places available, have ammo and rations stored at both. It's a hard call?

Old 10-29-2010, 06:43 AM   #34

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
All well and good if the SHTF scenario isn't preceeded by bio or nuclear contamination of the garden, woods and pond you plan to rely on.
Well..Way I see it is that kind of stuff happens I'll have more problems on my hands then food. Like I"ll probably be dead. Being my location in the U.S. though I don't see that happening here anyway. I'm right in the middle of nowhere. No cities big enough to be a major threat other than the one closest to me (Richmond Ky.) where the chemical weapons depot is. Again tho that crap gets out and no one on this side of the country is going to get out if it without growing horns or something.

The great thing about being out here with my depending on garden is I can a crap load of food. And with a storage room bigger than a average single car garage under ground I think I'm good to go.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 10-30-2010, 02:36 PM   #35

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default How much ammo

Well....I think the more you have is in a way storing it up for some one else! I plan to stay put as I can live good here. Food, water, and shelter. My trianing says to fight a war of attrition, if the situation calls for it. I agree with whoever said 12 ga. ammo is in every store that sells ammo. I would bust a nut carrying ammo to defend me & mine. Ammo may become the new currency, like food, or whatever somebody else has and is willing to trade for what you have to trade. I sure hope things don't ever get to this scenario. I have ammo hidden in several locations. approx 10k 5.56 2k 22LR

Old 12-09-2010, 05:35 PM   #36

You might want to think of having a bag of mags that are half loaded. To much ammo in a mag for a long period of time can begin to weaken the springs and if your like me and you have 25rd AR-10 mags they can be both hard and expensive to replace.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:03 PM   #37

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Enough for you to be safe but not so much so that the police FBI and AFT come and take your family, guns, ammo and blow up your house.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:21 PM   #38
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2562 Times on 1251 Posts
Likes Given: 1287

Here is another angle when it comes to how much ammo should you have. This sounds crazy but a friend of mine brought up another prospective concerning this. And he may have a point.
He advised he has a store of ammunition in various calibers and continues to buy. He said think of this! If the monetary system should fail in the tough times. As they state today monetarily, the world is in a less than good situation as they present to us today. The dollar will not be worth the paper it is printed on. Banks could go under or lock the doors as in the great depression. His view is that ammunition would be some of the best bartering material there is. Along with food and water products. Sounds a little crazy but I could understand that if that were to happen. So thinking outside the box and thinking of this crazy UN Treaty situation they are wanting (At Lest Hillary) Ammunition might become a commodity and worth a small fortune if it also becomes restricted. First of all there will be a war brewing if they even do something stupid like that but as we know we trust them about as far as we can throw them. Sorry to be so long winded on this but it is certainly a point of view and maybe worth thinking about.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:29 PM   #39

Liked 62 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 37

When SHTF happends ammo won't be just for shooting, depending how bad it gets cash may be worthless. Then something like ammo would be good as cash, you could shoot it or spend it.
So I'm stocking up while the price is down.

Old 12-10-2010, 01:13 AM   #40
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

It's ballistic Wampum gentlemen. Put some away.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams