How much ammo to stockpile for SHTF - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > How much ammo to stockpile for SHTF

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2010, 10:20 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
2000 rounds per caliber is a popular amount.

Keep mags loaded and webgear ready to go if you need to scram, but don't plan on scramming unless you have to. And make sure you have one or more bug-out locations to scram TO. Have ammo (and food, water, etc.) stored at those locations, too.
2000 rounds per caliber is fine if you are bugging where the ammo is. But humping 4k, or 6k, or 8k rounds sounds a bit unrealistic to me if you have very far to get to your bug-out location on foot.

Not to say that I don't have those quantities, or that anyone shouldn't. I don't think there is any such thing as too much ammo. But I think the amount of ammo you have on your person should not be all of your ammo. It needs to be at the location(s) you plan to bug to. Only carry as much as you can to get to your location.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:38 PM   #12

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Depends on the situation. I don't plan on going anywhere so things are in places around here. I can survive off my gardens and the woods here. It's pretty easy to secure this area. I even have a water supply(spring) and ponds that are well stocked. Way I figure it is this is a place people would want to have to bug out to. So I try to keep it all pretty well stocked.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 07-22-2010, 06:02 PM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default How Much?

Depends on how good a shot you are. It's very important to hit the first shot.
Can promise that one round will have the most effect on how many rounds we need.
If you miss that first shot, then you have to hope they don't.

The rounds you expended practicing will be the important ones.

Last edited by hardrock; 07-22-2010 at 06:03 PM. Reason: incomplete

Old 07-22-2010, 06:33 PM   #14

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
Depends on the situation. I don't plan on going anywhere so things are in places around here. I can survive off my gardens and the woods here. It's pretty easy to secure this area. I even have a water supply(spring) and ponds that are well stocked. Way I figure it is this is a place people would want to have to bug out to. So I try to keep it all pretty well stocked.
All well and good if the SHTF scenario isn't preceeded by bio or nuclear contamination of the garden, woods and pond you plan to rely on.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 09-13-2010, 12:06 AM   #15

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Well, let's look at this logically with three questions: (sorry for the long post)

First: what disaster are you expecting and what kind of length of time are you planning to be int eh situation. (please don't say Zombie invasion - just don't)

Two: what uses do you have fro the ammo; and B) what other non-gun supplies do you have on hand?

Three: what skill level are you at, expect to be at, and will be capable of in stressful situations.

So! For number 1: Floods/hurricanes are different from war or social unrest.

For example: If you are preparing for a short-term natural disaster like Katrina, where within a few months you will be rescued and things will go to normal.

2) would be: personal defense from raiders/thugs. Maybe minor hunting. Possibly signalling, or fire-starting.
B) there is probably food around if you look in homes/abandoned stores, so hunting will not be the only source of food. Since a person can live for weeks without food - and the timeline is a few months you can see that foodwise- you may only need one big game kill, or maybe a few small varmints. Peg that at maybe a few dozen rounds.
Signalling/other uses will be negligable.
Defense may require a few more - again a few dozen for a short period of time. If many thugs or all-out raider battles are expected (not likely if a disaster is not apocalyptic) then maybe a few hundred in a main weapon and another few hundred for a sidearm.

3: your skill determines what you can do: if a big-game kill lasts for a month, and it takes 6 shots to take one down (including misses or animals that manage to escape) then you can multiply that by the months you plan to live off of hunting. Ditto with gun battles - firing hundreds of rounds is easy, but why fire if your not aiming? A warning shot can be used to scare many away, saving lots of shooting. If a fight does come down it'll be against a few thugs, take your time and aim.

As can be seen for a short-term disaster a few hundred rounds can do it. BUT changing the info in the questions changes the need! If you plan to move alot, pack less. If you are in the apocalypse fortress fighting hordes of raiders (or Zombies - yes I went there) buy an armoury!

Old 09-14-2010, 09:15 PM   #16

Liked 699 Times on 479 Posts
Likes Given: 719

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
2000 rounds per caliber is a popular amount.

Keep mags loaded and webgear ready to go if you need to scram, but don't plan on scramming unless you have to. And make sure you have one or more bug-out locations to scram TO. Have ammo (and food, water, etc.) stored at those locations, too.
And if one has 15 rifle and 7 pistol calibers, that makes for a whole bunch.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:59 PM   #17
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5508 Times on 2875 Posts
Likes Given: 357

one can only function at peek for a few days without food. once you hit 5 or 6 days your ability to focus concentrate and perform useful work is severely degraded.

i stockpile rice in vaccuum sealed bags 2 pounds per bag of white rice. it will keep almost indefinately and by itself can sustain a person for many months with little else. its light weight high energy food. mix in a squrriel, rabbit, insects, fish, or another protein source. mixed with rice it doesnt take much hunting/fishing to keep going. its easier to store and carry than MRE. cheaper too.

water however is always the real issue.

i keep 25 mags of loaded 5.56 30 each, 5k 22lr, 25 1911 mags fmj, 1k 7.62x54. i got components to make 30k 5.56 and 30k 7.62x54.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:30 PM   #18

Liked 699 Times on 479 Posts
Likes Given: 719

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
one can only function at peek for a few days without food. once you hit 5 or 6 days your ability to focus concentrate and perform useful work is severely degraded.

i stockpile rice in vaccuum sealed bags 2 pounds per bag of white rice. it will keep almost indefinately and by itself can sustain a person for many months with little else. its light weight high energy food. mix in a squrriel, rabbit, insects, fish, or another protein source. mixed with rice it doesnt take much hunting/fishing to keep going. its easier to store and carry than MRE. cheaper too.

water however is always the real issue.

i keep 25 mags of loaded 5.56 30 each, 5k 22lr, 25 1911 mags fmj, 1k 7.62x54. i got components to make 30k 5.56 and 30k 7.62x54.
30k small rifle primers and .224 bullets, + 30k Large rifle primers and .311 bullets + 300 pounds of powder? (based on an average of 35gr per cartridge for both) Serious?

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:54 AM   #19

Liked 702 Times on 374 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Dunno what "The best" amount is but last count I did was right at 8000 total. Assuming time is given, I could fit one 20 to 50 hound pox in each pocket. Let me change britches and that's eight pockets of ammo. Worst case though, I figure with that much, I'm bound to grab something at a quick nab on the way out the door. The rifles and hand guns are stored with two boxes on the floor or shelf next to them.

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
~George Washington

Old 09-21-2010, 08:18 PM   #20

WOW.
That's a lot of ammo.
I assume most all of you re-load?