How much ammo - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > How much ammo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2011, 01:30 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 868 Times on 523 Posts
Likes Given: 189

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post
Just replace what you use plus one more box/case every payday, you'll be surprised how much you have in a short time.
^ That

Old 11-25-2011, 02:08 PM   #12

Liked 717 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 228

It depends. A years supply for some people might be one box, if so you might consider a two years supply. I have nothing against people buying a lot of ammo but you can also be realistic.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 11-25-2011, 02:10 PM   #13

Liked 1957 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

hiwall, is that a collapsible post and globe sight in your avatar? If yes, what is it from, or if no, then what is it?

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 11-30-2011, 01:20 AM   #14

Liked 46 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
It depends. A years supply for some people might be one box, if so you might consider a two years supply. I have nothing against people buying a lot of ammo but you can also be realistic.
I agree. My rule is just buy when I can afford too. Also has anyone thought about what would happen to all that ammo if say your house caught on fire?

Woe to those who make unjust laws and to those who issue oppressive decrees. -Isaiah 10:1

Blaming guns for death is like blaming forks for obesity

Old 12-13-2011, 03:43 PM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
I never said it was all in the same place.
Yeah, if you've planned for bug-out situations and found a suitable backwoods local that you(or family) own, you can bury some there. I have a few thousand rounds buried at the site I picked out, everything from .22, 5.56, .308 and 7.62x54r. You can find containers that you can bury and are sealed for reasonable prices and the stuff that isn't meant to be buried or sealed can be made that way. I don't know if you can still find them but they used to make handheld plastic bag sealers that melted the plastic together and cut it off at the same time, you can take wooden crates and put them inside 3mil trashbags and then use one of those things to seal them up, or put mutliple bags together, it can be time consuming but i've found it to make good air and water tight seals if done properly.

As for stockpiling ammunition, yeah it keeps..but anyone who sits around and says "I keep 10000 rounds of everything" is just a gun fan, and being an enthusiast for firearms has nothing to do with survival. Even if you hunted everyday (assuming bigger game) for a lifespan of 75 years you'd only need 27000 rounds, that's assuming you weren't capable enough to use traps and relied only on firearms for food. without proper medical care and modern advances lets knock that lifespan down to 55ish, and then lets remember you're not 1 year old you're in your 20s or 30s, it's more like to survive the rest of your life you'd need less than 10000 rounds(unless you're a horrible shot) even if you did hunt everyday with nothing but a rifle.

If you want to talk WROL and you're trying to defend your home yeah you're gonna want ammo, but there is no way you can survive in an urban setting for longer than a few years(more likely less than a few months) due to food constraints so you'd still need less than 10000 rounds. you could fire more rounds than a U.S. Army standard loadout dictates in a single day and still have enough rounds for a month of constant fighting if you had 10000 rounds of ammo. just to put that number in a rediculous perspective. If you're in that kind of setting where it is like that, it's an even shorter projected lifespan. So if you live in a city and have 10000 rounds of ammo your first priority shouldn't be loading up your basement full of ammo you'll have to leave behind, it should be getting out of the city to a place that can sustain you because I don't know if you've payed much attention to how much humans consume on a daily basis, but a few squirrels in the park aren't going to do anyone any good and when SHTF and guns start going off you're not going to find a deer roamin around the suburbs either.

On that lets touch base on Scavenging..Lets put that rumor to rest because as soon as crap goes nuts any hope of finding stuff hanging around on shelves, especially food will disappear. People in general are stupid and panic easily, You might get lucky enough to find a house someone left behind that has food in it still, assuming someone didn't come through with a gun and shoot them to take it already. And unless you're planning on being the guy running around door to door the day after shtf killing people for their things this isn't going to be an option, the bad people will start this as soon as they realize the police can't and aren't going to stop them because they wanted to do this kind of stuff before shtf because it's the easy way.

Sorry to be a downer but thems the breaks.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:13 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1218 Times on 785 Posts
Likes Given: 2455

Just out of curiosity, how many rounds does it take to wear out a barrel?

Old 12-14-2011, 01:38 AM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

one more isnt to much""

ammo does not go bad. you will shoot it eventually.
get like 1 graand and go crazy
i bought and made .223 i have about 2k rounds, and 2k in .22 and 1k in shotgun and small amounts in other rifles and hg's

Old 12-14-2011, 12:54 PM   #18

Liked 717 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post
hiwall, is that a collapsible post and globe sight in your avatar? If yes, what is it from, or if no, then what is it?
Yes, its what some call a "beech" sight. It is one of the many sights that I manufacture.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 12-14-2011, 04:44 PM   #19

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmaster456 View Post
I agree. My rule is just buy when I can afford too. Also has anyone thought about what would happen to all that ammo if say your house caught on fire?
This is exactly why mine is stored in a fire resistant lockable container. And I'm 1/2 mile from the fire station.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 12-15-2011, 05:03 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
Just out of curiosity, how many rounds does it take to wear out a barrel?
Depends on the caliber, manufacturer, grade of materials used, etc. Just for a general idea, an M16 issued to any unit in the military has an average barrel life span of ~30,000 - 60,000 rounds, IIRC. But, they gauge them individually so some go more, some less. It takes a long time, and a lot of ammunition to shoot out the barrel of any weapon, if properly maintained.

“You’ve got red on you.” — Shaun of the Dead

Last edited by soldierman79; 12-15-2011 at 05:17 PM.