How many magazines - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > How many magazines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2012, 01:16 AM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Since one could conceivably refill empty magazines overnight or during lulls in battle, that would have to be one REALLY bad day to go through 1000-1500 rounds of ammo before being able to take a break.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 02-21-2012, 03:12 AM   #52
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8320 Times on 4808 Posts
Likes Given: 10786

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
OK, so I gotta ask...

Do those posters here REALLY keep 32 and 50 AR magazines loaded? What the heck for!?
Maybe because they can?

Personally I would like to have all of the mags that I might possibly shoot in one day at the range. That is my goal. I'll keep buying more until I reach that goal and then perhaps add a few more. Things can get out of hand sometimes though so one day I might have "too many" (if there is such a thing).

Old 02-21-2012, 05:14 AM   #53

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthebald
I've got 11 mags for my AK - 10 30's and a 45.

I've got 9 for my AR, 8 30's and a 10 round mag (you know, the one I keep for the 10 API rounds I keep on hand for those "special situations")

I have 21 loaded mags (all 20's) for my CETME.

I also have a handful of mags for each handgun, and of course, the obligatory boatload of 10, 25, and 30 round magazines for the 10-22.
What are "API" Rounds?

Old 02-21-2012, 05:18 AM   #54

Liked 346 Times on 222 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcpascale

What are "API" Rounds?
API (if I'm thinking right) stands for Armor Piercing Incendiary.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:13 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris

Welcome to FTF. I'm so glad you have an opinion. I'm not sure how you came by this one, but isn't it wonderful that you are able to be so assured of your statement?

It's wrong, though.
I have my opinions, and I have facts. This is a fact. I come through this knowledge from 14 years of military service, and years of shooting experience. I'm a Sergeant First Class, U.S. Army Recon Instructor. I have more experience pulling a trigger than you wish you had. We don't store full mags, they get loaded on the range or when issued after deployment. You want to keep a few loaded and ready, good idea. Keeping all of your mags loaded and on a shelf will eventually only prove me right.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:36 AM   #56

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by damocles

I have my opinions, and I have facts. This is a fact. I come through this knowledge from 14 years of military service, and years of shooting experience. I'm a Sergeant First Class, U.S. Army Recon Instructor. I have more experience pulling a trigger than you wish you had. We don't store full mags, they get loaded on the range or when issued after deployment. You want to keep a few loaded and ready, good idea. Keeping all of your mags loaded and on a shelf will eventually only prove me right.
The military doesn't keep their mags loaded for a different reason. Has nothing to do with springs. What you said above though just says that you have no experience with magazines that have been loaded for a long time. Having more trigger experience than the poster only means you empty your magazines on a regular basis. Now, if you said you were a comm guy who only fired your rifle once after a two year deployment and when you did, the magazine spring broke... In this case street cred doesn't count man. There are guys on the forum that have fired 30 year old loaded mags and they fired fine. In this situation, that's the experience the op is looking for.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:26 PM   #57

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
I store my loaded mags in the same place (and environment) I store my boxed ammo. The same conditions will be affecting both. So rotating ammo doesn't seem to make sense for my situation.

Now, if you are suggesting that every few years, or on some rotation, you shoot through your ammo that's loaded in the magazines and refill them with brand new ammo, that sounds like a good (and FUN) idea! Every few months, I shoot through my carry ammo that lives in my magazines, then refill them with new ammo. But we're only talking about less than 20 rounds at a time every few months. I couldn't imagine doing that with a dozen 30-rounds AR mags. That could get expensive.
Ya sorry got off the AR mags for a second i was refering to handgun mags mainly. And thats bout what i figured bout ever 3 or 4 months run the ammo through and put new in. Ammo does get expensive for the good stuff but it also makes sure ur gun will feed all the mags without a problem some guns just don't like the good stuff

Old 02-21-2012, 11:54 PM   #58

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Com'on, does anyone really think there's any chance you'll seriously need dozens of loaded 30-rnd mags, and if you do believe this, and really do need them, do you really think you'll ever be afforded the chance to use them all? Look, we can all do as we like. Its all good. But, seriously!?

Pistol mags: I have a few for each carry and they are numbered. I too fire out my carry cartridges and rotate one mag out of service each season. In other words, they'll be loaded two or three quarters and unloaded for three quarters.

Old 02-22-2012, 03:48 AM   #59
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8320 Times on 4808 Posts
Likes Given: 10786

Inspired by this thread I have taken some of my bulk ammo and loaded it into 10-round stripper clips. They won't suffer spring failure (if that is an issue with magazines) and they make reloading magazines a piece of cake. The stripper clips work with the Ruger mags as well.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:51 AM   #60

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Um, don't they require a Filler/Guide Tool?

filler-guide-tool.jpg