Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Survival & Sustenance Living Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   How many . . . (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/how-many-97616/)

txpossum 09-25-2013 01:26 PM

How many . . .

, , , of y'all do even low key "prepping"? Not ordering hundreds or thousands of dollars worth of zombies supplies, but when at the store add a few extra cans of what you eat, and, hey, while you're at it throw in a can of spam or two.

If the electricity went out, and you couldn't buy anything tomorrow, how long would you last without serious problems? Got any batteries, candles, lanterns? Enough for a week? How about two?

Where's your water coming from? Any way of filtering it?

So, power goes off at midnight. At what point would you consider eating your neighbors?

purehavoc 09-25-2013 01:53 PM

:D Im not what I would call a prepper . Im what I would call a cautious person . I could take care of my family for 60 days food wise and lots longer on water , I could run my Genny for about 3 weeks on the fuel I have stored but thats not running it 24/7 either that usage I have figured at certain times of the day for so long to keep freezers and the fridge going and for furnace usage . This is stuff not even my wife knows about . She thinks people that prep are crazy and hoarders.Yet its ok for her friends and people that live in the country to be prepared. " because they may not be able to make it to town if the weather gets bad . :confused: Though I dont say anything about the 70+ pairs of shoes she owns/ hoards . Friends and family do not know about this , its to take care of us and if times got tough and money got real tight it could be used for that . We sometimes have bad winters and have power lines go down and use the Genny then . So its not stuff thats unreasonable,Im not preparing for the zombie apocalypse or the world end . I just dont believe in any of that crap . I guess I dont have my tin hat on right and adjusted properly to believe that stuff . I do have water filters because we do kayak and primitive camp some and thats just stuff that we take with us on those trips . Im a outdoorsey person so I have camping essentials,
Eating my neighbors :eek: Im gonna pass , sh!ts gonna have to get real bad before I would think about that :D

txpossum 09-25-2013 02:05 PM

You sound pretty well prepared for a "non-prepper". Preparing for natural disasters and other acts of nature is a big reason most prepare; the media has focused on the loons and is giving the impression that all preppers are nuts, when most are common sense people who prepare like you do.

mountainman13 09-25-2013 02:20 PM

I can hit the woods with a tomahawk and survive.
I do have a well stocked bob which includes a good variety of necessities including a field surgery kit.

TLuker 09-25-2013 03:33 PM

I'm pretty low key, but I keep enough stuff on hand for a few months and I have a good water supply a few miles away. If need be I could relocate to my water source with no problem. I also hunt, fish, and garden. I have enough stored food for a few months but I have enough seeds to last me from now on so I do have a potential long term source of food, when combined with hunting and fishing. It's not fool proof by any means, but it's a start.

After working non stop, moving, and remodeling my house for the past several months I really do need to take a little time and evaluate my current situation. My current location is pretty much indefensible and water would be an issue so I guess I need to focus a little more on being able to relocate quickly? :rolleyes:

purehavoc 09-25-2013 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txpossum (Post 1382740)
You sound pretty well prepared for a "non-prepper". Preparing for natural disasters and other acts of nature is a big reason most prepare; the media has focused on the loons and is giving the impression that all preppers are nuts, when most are common sense people who prepare like you do.

My wife says Im the ammo hoarder . I just call it common sense collecting ;)

mich1377usmc 09-25-2013 11:43 PM

We have about 5 months food preps & 3 months water , if we bunker in. I'm a camper so have all that gear , so no cold chow . If we have to beat feet & hoof it , have about 2 weeks portable chow. Looking to get bikes for us to move faster if it really gets bad, have land 30 mins from house so if we can get there would be set up real tight.

GTX63 09-26-2013 12:23 PM

We live in the country about 7 miles from the nearest town (pop 3000). I'd like to think we are no different from what people in the sticks have always done-garden, can the harvest, raise a little livestock, dig a pond, own a genie, know how to hunt and fish. We won't be going anywhere if things should ever turn. I'm not John the Baptist; if I'm down to locusts and honey then I'm just delaying the better life that waits for me.

WebleyFosbery38 09-26-2013 12:45 PM

I prepped via my lifestye and location. My Wife and I choose to live in the boonies for lots of reasons, sustainability being second to privacy. Field and Stream is more than a magazine for us, its a source of everything we need to survive and more. Living without Electricity is a challenge but when my house was built 180 years ago, it was just reality, I think the first 6 months would be the toughest but then it will be the new normal. Ive got my generator but if TSHTF, I will have a week at best and any gas will be limited to folks with much more $$$ than I have. One of my upcoming projects is to build a wind turbine, that would give me a leg up during good or bad times, I have all the tower eq and the generator, just need to get to it.

We are all pretty good neighbors for miles around, and our only real businesses are farms; when food is scarce, its good to live where its made! Ive got 2 handug wells (the one we use is 4' from the kitchen) and a driven well. Both hand dugs are over 150 years old that produce endless perfect spring water. Weve got 8 acres of property surrounded by woods, fields, streams and lakes, I can shoot Bambi off my dack every day of the week. Between our Orchards, Grapes, Berries and gardens, one season of real farming and I can feed 5 families off my property alone.

Ive prepped by living low key and out on the edge a big part of my life. No doubt it wont be living as we know it but I think we can survive OK (my wife wont think its survival!).

Rick1967 09-26-2013 01:36 PM

I am not really a prepper. But we keep a lot of food on hand. Probably enough for a month or more. But the meals might get weird at the end. I have about 15-20 gallons of water at any given time. My wife drinks bottled water in the 5 gallon jugs. She has 4 of them. We also keep a case of the little bottles in the garage to rotate into the fridge a few at a time. I have a generator. It has a full tank. I also have a 5 gallon can that is full. I have enough ammo to shoot for years. But that is because I am a reloader as a hobby. I do not hoard ammo. I almost never buy it. I also have a large travel trailer and a 4 wheel drive. I also have a 50 year old Jeep that will go just about anywhere. We have an incredible amount of hunting and camping gear.