Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > How long will ammo stay good?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2009, 03:22 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Default How long will ammo stay good?

I have always heard to rotate your ammo. Shoot the old and store the new. My question is how long will ammo stay good. I have a lot of ammo stored in a climate controlled enviroment ( 70 degs. and 55% humidity). Will it last for 2 years or 10 years or some where in between?

SGT U.S. Army Special Operations Command, Ft. Bragg, NC (2002-2006)
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran (2004)

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-10-2009, 03:50 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Store it the way the military does, in airtight cans with desiccant packs and it should last indefinitely.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:58 PM   #3

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Cromwell‥when his troops were about crossing a river‥concluded an address‥with these words—‘put your trust in God; but mind to keep your powder dry.’

cane

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-10-2009, 05:32 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I still have ww11 ammo I shoot from time to time.

Any gun owner that voted for obama is a gun owner I don't trust with a gun !

Old 01-10-2009, 11:25 PM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

like matt said, just keep it dry and itll last longer than you my freind

Wars begin where u will
But they do not end where you please-Machiavelli

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- Dr. Johnson

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." - Samuel Adams

your my best friend but if the zombies start chasing us im tripping you

Old 01-11-2009, 02:03 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8324 Times on 3600 Posts
Likes Given: 1281

I am still shooting EARLY WW II 8mm ammo. High heat, excessive moisture and vibration/impact are the enemies of ammo. Cool, dry, stable- shelf life measured in decades. Stuff in my carry piece? Every six months, I shoot it up, replace it. But I'm a cautious kinda guy, ya know. PS- visit the website for the ODCMP (civilian marksmanship program) and check the age of the 30-06 they are selling. Believe that is at LEAST 50 yrs old. And pretty good stuff.

Old 01-11-2009, 03:27 AM   #7

Ammo is pretty robust stuff. I had some WWII .45 ammo I inherited from my dad when he passed on. Shot up around 30 rounds of it, and not a dud among them! And it was basically stored in a coffee can in his basement.

The only problem with really old ammo is that some of it used the corrosive primers--need to clean your guns immediately after use.

Old 01-11-2009, 03:48 AM   #8

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by biff44 View Post
Ammo is pretty robust stuff. I had some WWII .45 ammo I inherited from my dad when he passed on. Shot up around 30 rounds of it, and not a dud among them! And it was basically stored in a coffee can in his basement.

The only problem with really old ammo is that some of it used the corrosive primers--need to clean your guns immediately after use.
Anyone see a theme developing in this thread?

Guys, don't shoot up that vintage WWII ammo! I know its safe and may require some extra clean-up BUT.... do you know what that ammo is worth?

Not monetarily, but nostalgia wise? I did the same thing and can remember shooting mil-spec ball with my Dad. Great memories but I could have had the same memories with contemporary ammo and saved the mil-spec along with his 45. Mine is gone along with my Dad. I couldn't keep my Dad but I could have saved some of his ammo he carried through Europe before I was born!

SAVE IT, along with the other memories.

I didn't, you can.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-12-2009, 09:08 AM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Somewhere along the way I picked up information that if you store ammo you will lose the use of one round out of every 1,000 rounds over the space of 10 years. And the information also said that time is not a friend to primers. After many years of storage, primers are the first thing that will go bad on the stored ammo.

Old 01-12-2009, 12:48 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2555 Times on 1342 Posts
Likes Given: 192

I have 5.56 ammo I loaded 25+ years ago that is still very good. It has been stored in an ammo can with dessicant and has not tarnished at all. I have taken some out recently and it shot fine.