Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > How long until SHTF?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2011, 01:20 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 756 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 156

Bar,

There's a large percentage of people that have no clue, and will have no clue if it does happen.

Old 12-23-2011, 02:41 AM   #12
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1711 Times on 933 Posts
Likes Given: 545

Quote:
Originally Posted by bar View Post
There is certainly some sort of sales pitch aspect to this or use the article at the very least to draw attention to his services for investment info/strategy. The info and stats seem pretty accurate and is worth the read. The only issue I have with the investment aspect is that if this guy really believes SHTF is less than year away why would anyone bother with T-Bills,etc...?! Seems like a waste of funds when you could put them to much better use for ammo, food, etc...
I think the scariest thing about the possibility of SHTF in the very near future is that it could happen very quickly when it does go. Also, I believe that it will not necessarily take a large event such as a coordinated terrorist attack, full financial collapse, etc... I think it could possibly happen from a much smaller event which may cause, at first, localized panic which then leads to much more wide spread panic and so on. Much like the rush on gas stations that we have encountered here a few times in the last couple years. Where all it takes is a few ill placed news reports or rumors of gas shutdown or heavy shortages, then you hear the news report and may be a little concerned but don't believe it enough to run to the gas station, but then some others who are feeling the same see much longer lines than normal at the stations and of course start thinking "wow, there is really something to this!" and stop as well thinking that if they don't fill up while they can.... and then the wide spread panic starts to set in with people scrambling everywhere, traffic jams, etc...
That is my fear anyway, that it may not take an event that, in and of itself, would really warrant an all out collapse, but due to the current state of things with unemployment, banks, general unrest and uncertainty that it would quickly turn into a self fulfilling prophecy due to a wildfire of wide spread panic. I am sure I would be sucked in by it as well because if something happens then you see the news reports hyping things up, traffic begins to build with people rushing home from work to try to get to their families - who is really going to be willing to take the gamble that it is not really the beginning of the big SHTF? Will we know 100% certain - "This is it!" ? Will it begin as a whisper? Or a thunder clap?
Excellent perspective. There is no lack of possible scenarios and it could be something very simple that starts the slide.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 12-23-2011, 10:52 AM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2579 Times on 1355 Posts
Likes Given: 197

Did you not get the memo? THe S is due to HTF next Thursday at 1500 hrs

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 12-23-2011, 11:26 AM   #14

Liked 749 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 586

Quote:
There is certainly some sort of sales pitch aspect to this or use the article at the very least to draw attention to his services for investment info/strategy. The info and stats seem pretty accurate and is worth the read. The only issue I have with the investment aspect is that if this guy really believes SHTF is less than year away why would anyone bother with T-Bills,etc...?! Seems like a waste of funds when you could put them to much better use for ammo, food, etc...
I think the scariest thing about the possibility of SHTF in the very near future is that it could happen very quickly when it does go. Also, I believe that it will not necessarily take a large event such as a coordinated terrorist attack, full financial collapse, etc... I think it could possibly happen from a much smaller event which may cause, at first, localized panic which then leads to much more wide spread panic and so on. Much like the rush on gas stations that we have encountered here a few times in the last couple years. Where all it takes is a few ill placed news reports or rumors of gas shutdown or heavy shortages, then you hear the news report and may be a little concerned but don't believe it enough to run to the gas station, but then some others who are feeling the same see much longer lines than normal at the stations and of course start thinking "wow, there is really something to this!" and stop as well thinking that if they don't fill up while they can.... and then the wide spread panic starts to set in with people scrambling everywhere, traffic jams, etc...
That is my fear anyway, that it may not take an event that, in and of itself, would really warrant an all out collapse, but due to the current state of things with unemployment, banks, general unrest and uncertainty that it would quickly turn into a self fulfilling prophecy due to a wildfire of wide spread panic. I am sure I would be sucked in by it as well because if something happens then you see the news reports hyping things up, traffic begins to build with people rushing home from work to try to get to their families - who is really going to be willing to take the gamble that it is not really the beginning of the big SHTF? Will we know 100% certain - "This is it!" ? Will it begin as a whisper? Or a thunder clap?
Good commentary. So, what to do about it? Unless you're wealthy I don't see much that you can do. Safehouse? sure..many probably have a rural place they could go to escape the madness of the big city. Then what? Goods and services will probably be worse in the small towns. Ammo? yeah, that's easy enough. Food/Water? ok..stock pile enough for a month or two...then what? Hobby farm and grow your own? Most don't have the means or funds for that. Clothing? ok..I think we all have enough for a while. Firewood? It'll probably be looted the first day. Fuel? Be nice to have an underground 500gallon tank with hand pump..big project, probably have to sell the boat to fund that Gold/Silver? hmm..you can't eat that. Transportation? hope the electronics and computer hang in there, you can't swap parts like the old days, Cuba keeps all those old Galaxys and BelAirs chugging along...they'd be better off than us...the new Superpower. Anyway...most are not equipped and lack the means to be truly prepared.

The comments made herein are those solely of this writer and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency, or entity.

Old 12-23-2011, 11:39 AM   #15

Liked 225 Times on 140 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic82

Good commentary. So, what to do about it? Unless you're wealthy I don't see much that you can do. Safehouse? sure..many probably have a rural place they could go to escape the madness of the big city. Then what? Goods and services will probably be worse in the small towns. Ammo? yeah, that's easy enough. Food/Water? ok..stock pile enough for a month or two...then what? Hobby farm and grow your own? Most don't have the means or funds for that. Clothing? ok..I think we all have enough for a while. Firewood? It'll probably be looted the first day. Fuel? Be nice to have an underground 500gallon tank with hand pump..big project, probably have to sell the boat to fund that Gold/Silver? hmm..you can't eat that. Transportation? hope the electronics and computer hang in there, you can't swap parts like the old days, Cuba keeps all those old Galaxys and BelAirs chugging along...they'd be better off than us...the new Superpower. Anyway...most are not equipped and lack the means to be truly prepared.
No reason not to try and prepare while you can,yes I understand I'm not going to acquire a fully stocked retreat between now And then. Neither am I going to lie down and submit to a death by starvation or by the hands of another starving person without giving life in a post shtf world a shot. Those who wish to accept that the end is nigh and do nothing about it can... **** they'll be ahead of 90% of the population just by realizing that it is indeed coming.

As for me,ill continue to buy mags,ammo and food till it hurts,And fill my bug out bag as much as I can afford.Yes ill probably still end up a refugee,but ill be in better shape than most.

Old 12-23-2011, 12:02 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstrong View Post
As for me,ill continue to buy mags,ammo and food till it hurts,And fill my bug out bag as much as I can afford.Yes ill probably still end up a refugee,but ill be in better shape than most.
Great...what's your address again?..I missed that.

The comments made herein are those solely of this writer and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency, or entity.

Old 12-23-2011, 12:56 PM   #17
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1607 Times on 838 Posts
Likes Given: 1298

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Did you not get the memo? THe S is due to HTF next Thursday at 1500 hrs
Huh??? The memo I got said March 12th, 2013 at 5:42 pm.

Old 12-23-2011, 03:01 PM   #18

Liked 225 Times on 140 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic82

Great...what's your address again?..I missed that.
Lol I don't plan on being there long once the shtf,and even if you did catch me there it wont be much of jackpot you'd hit.I am but 20 with an entry level tradesman's income so when I say buy till it hurts I mean it,And it starts to hurt fairly quick. But it seems I'm better prepared than most around me,then again those individuals among us who have the fully stocked retreats probably aren't talking about it to others very much.

Old 12-23-2011, 07:41 PM   #19
bar

@Sonic82:
I definitely agree that unless you are wealthy, you can only procure so much food, water, ammo, guns, etc... and also may not know of someone or someplace or have the money to acquire a rural escape destination. I am sure many of us, even in these Forums are not true hard-core "Rambo" types who have an excellent chance of persurvering regardless of the enviroment or situation. Just as Jstrong mentions we have to at least try, be prepared as we can be, etc... Sure it will be difficult, far more difficult than anything we have ever done but that certainly does not mean it is a futile effort and we are destined for failure. If and when it comes all we can do is the best we can with what we have. The biggest factors in your longevity of that situation will certainly depend on how prepared you are, your determination and your skill set. I would guess most of us on this Forum at least have a better than average chance over the "average Joe" out there. One thing to reflect on is that there is always someone else who has endured more with less for longer.

Old 12-23-2011, 08:37 PM   #20

Quote:
@Sonic82:
I definitely agree that unless you are wealthy, you can only procure so much food, water, ammo, guns, etc... and also may not know of someone or someplace or have the money to acquire a rural escape destination. I am sure many of us, even in these Forums are not true hard-core "Rambo" types who have an excellent chance of persurvering regardless of the enviroment or situation. Just as Jstrong mentions we have to at least try, be prepared as we can be, etc... Sure it will be difficult, far more difficult than anything we have ever done but that certainly does not mean it is a futile effort and we are destined for failure. If and when it comes all we can do is the best we can with what we have. The biggest factors in your longevity of that situation will certainly depend on how prepared you are, your determination and your skill set. I would guess most of us on this Forum at least have a better than average chance over the "average Joe" out there. One thing to reflect on is that there is always someone else who has endured more with less for longer.
I think the entire forum should agree to meet at zero one hundred hours on ?/??/?? should these events take place. How about your place? Do you live in a warmer climate? trip286 lives in Mississippi, that's pretty warm.