How Gross..........? - Page 7
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > How Gross..........?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2013, 07:17 PM   #61
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2857 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 1688

I've eaten mountain oysters, bugs, tripe, goat, oysters, worms, bear, snails, snake and lots of other varmints. I'm not lookin' forward to subsisting on bushmeat and such, but I spent 15 years working in restaurants and I bet I'll be able to make it palatable.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:39 PM   #62
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3218 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 18577

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytowboater View Post
Lamb fries. Disgusting.
Suggests: Thou shall not eat thy Liberals , they make better for (COVER)..!

......ACK..!

Old 03-11-2013, 07:41 PM   #63
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
One of my favorite Tshirts:
http://shirt.woot.com/offers/im-a-humanatarian

One guy asked me where it was located.
LOL..! $18..I need one ..! LOL

Old 03-11-2013, 10:29 PM   #64
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7172 Times on 4316 Posts
Likes Given: 8745

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyj View Post
We use to eat narsty stuff just to see who could hold it down. Bugs, worms, slugs, etc. The worst thing I have ever eaten was limburger cheese. Good God that is some nasty stuff. This stuff had been out in the sun for a couple of hours too. I have never been so disgusted in my life. Just thinking about it triggers my gag reflex. I would seriously eat a fresh dog turd over limburger cheese if those were my choices. Gagggg.
When my kids were little, if we were grocery shopping and came across some Limburger cheese I hold it out to them and say, "Smell this". It was funny to see the look on their faces. It smell like stinky feet.
dango Likes This 
Old 03-11-2013, 11:03 PM   #65
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

So I'm sittin' here watchin' Bizarre Foods America with Andrew Zimmern, and he's taste touring Appalachia. They're feeding him BBQ'd raccoon, boiled, fried and baked Possum with apples and taters and he's lovin' it. 'Course he's showin' em how to eat the brains and what not.

If anybody needs a good varmint recipe, let me know!

Old 03-11-2013, 11:49 PM   #66
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Hmmm.. ! HOT-BAT-WANGS , never tried them..!
Ok then , How many and how to prepare..? Mmmm..!
What you got..?

Old 03-12-2013, 03:00 AM   #67
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5731 Times on 2995 Posts
Likes Given: 379

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis845 View Post
Well, to sample something for the sake of seeing if you can keep it down is one thing. You would be surprised what you can keep down when your stomach actually hurts from lack of food. With time and determination you can adapt to eat anything you desire. To actually survive, you have to consume things that provide nutrition, vitamins, and minerals in quantity to sustain life.

I'll admit I was never at the point or even close to starvation living in the U.S. but, during some survival training and overseas deployments I got a taste of what it's like for your stomach to hurt from hunger pains, you're not very picky about relieving your hunger pains.

Here's my meager experience in a controlled military survival exercise that I could have quit at anytime and taken to the mess hall.

After 24 hours: Damn, sure am hungry and getting tired awful fast, check my pockets for any gum or anything edible I may have smuggled into the survival training. Nope, nothing!

After 48 hours: Searching around the fall woods for anything edible, a thought crossed my mind, ACORNS. Nope, not fit for human consumption. Seeing a bunch of tree rats running around so we fashioned some snares to catch some. No luck, they're smarter than us.

After 72 hours: Another thought crossed our mind with nothing in our bellies. I had actual stomach pains after just three days without food. We considered making a fire and boiling some dry cow dung we had run across to consume. We talked about the nutritional values and decided to keep some just for a fire starter.

After 96 hours: We ran across a few scrawny chickens roaming the woods. We thought that odd as none of us had ever seen any chickens roaming out in the woods. Finding out after the survival course the instructors had released a dozen malnourished chickens near our location. We ran a few of them down, rung their necks and were desperate to relieve our stomach cramps and pains. We made a fast fire and attempted to cook them but, ate ALL of them before they were even half cooked.

I compare stomach cramps and lack of food with a nagging tooth ache that won't go away. It really hurts, can't sleep properly, can't think right, low / no energy to move around, looking at everything and thinking if it's edible.

I'll tell you this too, you'll put things in your mouth you normally would not to see if it's edible and /or safe to consume.

I can't imagine what it is like with starving people throughout the world! I'm grateful my Lord selected me to live in the bread basket of the world and I don't have to experience starvation and the pain that comes with it.
i firmly believe that starvation is where the original stories of vampirism find their roots. if you look at the traits of vampires looking for blood they are shockingly similar to what happens to people when they are starving.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-12-2013, 02:37 PM   #68

Liked 2470 Times on 1604 Posts

I've had squirrel pot pie that was completely homemade, and it was amazing.

Grilled raccoon: tasted like a garbage can that's been sitting in the hot summer sun. Maybe they didn't get the fat off it.

Had a bear roast a couple years ago, it was pretty good. I could barely (hee hee) tell it wasn't beef.

My rule of thumb is not to eat animals that eat carrion. I didn't realize that about raccoon years ago when I tried it. The bear was at a guests house, and they are really into bear, so I went with it. If I'm hungry enough it won't be a problem to break said rule. If I can get chicken on sale for a dollar a pound I wont have to worry about it.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 03-12-2013, 02:58 PM   #69

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearhunter View Post
Yep, I have eaten some pretty nasty things in my lifetime!

Me too, and in one case, one morning, I couldn't even claim I had been drunk the night before!

But I digress.... I ate some ants once while out hiking, just to see what they taste like. They're not bad....

Then I found out you're supposed to "cook" them, because they have parasites in their gullet. Like put them in a transparent container, and set them on a rock in the sun.

But for some reason, a lot of the backcountry in CO has plenty of ants. I've sat on a log for a break , then had 15 or 20 in a less than a minute crawling on me.

"Getting lost in the backcountry... the new weight-loss program! "

Pat

PatMan

"You'll put your eye out, kid"

”You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”
~Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

"DUMP HICKENLOOPER".. my future bumper sticker.

Old 03-12-2013, 03:10 PM   #70
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I have to say this would be WWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYY too gross!

I was up in the mountains of northern PA, several years ago and as I drove around the corner on a logging road, several Turkey Vultures lifted off from a carcass along side the road. It was kinda hidden in the scrub, so I went over to see what it was. It was a deer carcass that was maggot riddled and green with putrification. I got within about 10 feet and nearly hurled! The smell was horrible.

The vultures, roaches and other scavengers will have a field day if SHTF!!