How Gross..........? - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > How Gross..........?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2013, 08:00 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I've usually had one up on most people. But some if this **** y'all talk about has made me gag more than once.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:27 PM   #42
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6563 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Squirrel is pretty good. Especially with dumplings.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:44 PM   #43
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Winds, i had pickled okra with lunch, CRUNCHY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shouldazagged View Post
A friend who hunts with her husband all over the U.S. and Canada used to bring me game meat. There was a package of black bear steaks, sliced very thin, from an animal that either had not been cared for properly or was at death's door from old age before it was shot. Tough, rank, and nasty as anything I ever tasted. Well, maybe except for a Rallyburger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishiggin29 View Post
No that's typical black bear. My friend killed on years ago and we cooked some up. It was greasy and nasty too!
An utterly worthless animal, should be hunted to extinction.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 03-10-2013 at 08:48 PM.
dango Likes This 
Old 03-10-2013, 09:14 PM   #44
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 231 Times on 147 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishiggin29
No that's typical black bear. My friend killed on years ago and we cooked some up. It was greasy and nasty too!
Like a lot of game meat you need to get most if not all of the fat out of it when you process it. The fats in a lot of game animals go rancid very quickly.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:20 PM   #45
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3160 Times on 1794 Posts
Likes Given: 18367

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
Well Trip286 , I had visions of (PUKE) when I started this thread , made myself sick..?

HARD-CORE , squirrel with droppings.!

Old 03-10-2013, 10:03 PM   #46
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1726 Times on 897 Posts
Likes Given: 3651

I had to try bindegi while in S Korea.
Its silk worm larvae.

Smells good but kinda bitter. Not too bad with sugar sprinkled on it.

default.jpeg  
Old 03-10-2013, 10:23 PM   #47
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
Never had but always wondered. My area is infested wit the dam things and I consider them my go-to, furry protein source for a SHTF scenario since the dog is so good at running them up trees and freezin em solid. Easy pickens

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson
dango Likes This 
Old 03-10-2013, 10:31 PM   #48
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5625 Times on 2940 Posts
Likes Given: 371

when your actually starving your brain chemistry changes and what you would normally find totally disgusting will taste better than the best filet mignon...

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

People Like This 
Old 03-10-2013, 10:59 PM   #49

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Well, to sample something for the sake of seeing if you can keep it down is one thing. You would be surprised what you can keep down when your stomach actually hurts from lack of food. With time and determination you can adapt to eat anything you desire. To actually survive, you have to consume things that provide nutrition, vitamins, and minerals in quantity to sustain life.

I'll admit I was never at the point or even close to starvation living in the U.S. but, during some survival training and overseas deployments I got a taste of what it's like for your stomach to hurt from hunger pains, you're not very picky about relieving your hunger pains.

Here's my meager experience in a controlled military survival exercise that I could have quit at anytime and taken to the mess hall.

After 24 hours: Damn, sure am hungry and getting tired awful fast, check my pockets for any gum or anything edible I may have smuggled into the survival training. Nope, nothing!

After 48 hours: Searching around the fall woods for anything edible, a thought crossed my mind, ACORNS. Nope, not fit for human consumption. Seeing a bunch of tree rats running around so we fashioned some snares to catch some. No luck, they're smarter than us.

After 72 hours: Another thought crossed our mind with nothing in our bellies. I had actual stomach pains after just three days without food. We considered making a fire and boiling some dry cow dung we had run across to consume. We talked about the nutritional values and decided to keep some just for a fire starter.

After 96 hours: We ran across a few scrawny chickens roaming the woods. We thought that odd as none of us had ever seen any chickens roaming out in the woods. Finding out after the survival course the instructors had released a dozen malnourished chickens near our location. We ran a few of them down, rung their necks and were desperate to relieve our stomach cramps and pains. We made a fast fire and attempted to cook them but, ate ALL of them before they were even half cooked.

I compare stomach cramps and lack of food with a nagging tooth ache that won't go away. It really hurts, can't sleep properly, can't think right, low / no energy to move around, looking at everything and thinking if it's edible.

I'll tell you this too, you'll put things in your mouth you normally would not to see if it's edible and /or safe to consume.

I can't imagine what it is like with starving people throughout the world! I'm grateful my Lord selected me to live in the bread basket of the world and I don't have to experience starvation and the pain that comes with it.

People Like This 
Old 03-10-2013, 11:00 PM   #50
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3160 Times on 1794 Posts
Likes Given: 18367

Through-out the years and while in the wilds , I have turned this scenario into a game of sorts.
The only time I've ever really had trouble is in the dead of winter. Many times , I've sought food sources just about everywhere I've been.

The biggest problem with Winter is :

The food IS THERE , but:
So much hard work finding it !

Energy spent -vs- Intake of sustenance , a very scarey game !

I hope no-one ever has to..! (The Donner Party)and what may of happened in 1846 , Sierra Nevada , comes to mind.!