Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > How do you prepare yourself to have a gun pointed at you?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2009, 11:37 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default How do you prepare yourself to have a gun pointed at you?

So today some kids were busy shooting each other as I had randomly decided to go move my car before it got late. As I walked out of the tunnel that leads to the street I see cops zooming by. A group of kids walking down the stairs in front of me something felt ify about them so i was debating bout crossing or walking through. I decided to walk through as I get close an enforcer pulls up in front of them and draws guns at them and tells them to hit the floor. I nervously continue to walk through and keep looking back to see what goes down. Then a cruiser brakes hard next to me and out comes a trigger happy lookin Leo with a glock drawn at my face. At this point I freeze and only thought in my head was "he better not say my phone looked like a gun". His partner gets out and drops me on the hood and begins to search my pocketless shorts and shirt and the inside of my cap. The whole time I'm watching the other one still with the gun draw and too close for comfort.

Now that got me thinking and I want to know, How the hell do you prepare for a gun to be pointed at you? How can you keep your cool while that coin is flipping in the air and all you can do is watch?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-31-2009, 11:48 PM   #2

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Sounds like you kept your cool well enough.

Old 09-01-2009, 01:00 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I have not been in combat, so I don't know that feeling. However, I have had a gun pointed at me.

I was in the back seat of a car being "taken for a ride" with a shotgun pointed at me. There was nothing I could do, as I'm not a martial arts guy. So, I resigned myself to whatever was going to happen and that I wasn't going to weasel in any way. They changed their minds for some reason and dropped me off.

BTW, the guys that took me for a ride were friends of mine. I ran with a pretty nasty crowd in those days. Needless to say, I beat feet and moved to the other end of the state the very next day. (New Jersey)

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-01-2009, 01:16 AM   #4

Geez a shotgun in your face, how were you able to sit there and leave your fate in their hands? Thats a 50/50 chance, all it would of taken was a "Marvin what you think bout all this *Bang*"

Old 09-01-2009, 01:22 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

There were two guys in the front and the guy with the shotgun in the back with me.

In retrospect, I probably should have tried to dive out the door when it looked like a good time.

Now, at the age I am, I figure if I'm going to go, someone else is going with me. What's to lose?

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-01-2009, 01:48 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
I figure if I'm going to go, someone else is going with me. What's to lose?
Is it bad that at 23 I feel that way? I just dont like to travel alone

Old 09-01-2009, 05:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynastyofnext View Post
How the hell do you prepare for a gun to be pointed at you?
You don't! In this case it was a LEO. I will do as a LEO asks and ask questions later. You acted properly imo, cooperate, answer questions if asked, and never resist. In the case of some punk pointing a gun in your face, well...... pray. If the gun is pointing at your face then obviously pulling your weapon is not an option. Again cooperate. This could be a good chance at changing the situation later on. And hope a LEO or a good friend (who has a consealed carry) can solve the problem, permanantly.

The truth was always the truth, even before anyone figured it out. It always was and always will be.

Old 09-01-2009, 06:06 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Aren't you glad you chose the bright orange phone, now?

Congrats on your continued existence, seriously.

Old 09-01-2009, 06:16 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I don't think he was asking what defensive action to take, just how to make sure you don't faint or cry or pee down your leg, ya know?

I don't know how I'd react. I've always reacted pretty calmly to wild situations though. I work at a bank, and we occasionally get scares from people doing out-of-the-ordinary things.

A couple months ago a guy walked in with a motorcycle helmet on. I saw him out of the corner of my eye, and it just looked like a guy with a black mask over his face. I saw another teller freeze, and my first thought was "damnit, we're gonna get robbed." My next thought was "I hope he just gets the money and leaves, and isn't one of the crazy ones who jumps over the line and tries to rough us all up." My third thought, all in a very short span of time was "hmm, it's actually a motorcycle helmet, so my pepper spray won't work." My last random thought in those few seconds was "if he does jump back here, I wonder if he'll turn his back on me while back here, and I wonder if I could get my knife out and slit his throat before he hurt one of us."

When he realized everyone was staring at him, he took off his helmet and revealed he was a regular customer who had just acquired a new motorcycle, and apologized energetically, lol.

Another time I was opening the bank in the morning with another teller, and we heard the back door open and close about 45 minutes before anyone else was supposed to be there (the inside of the bank was still closed). The other teller immediately ducked down behind the teller line (she was from a ghettoer area, lol), but I decided that if someone was going to come in to rob us, they would be nervous or otherwise antsy, and startling them by letting them sneak up on us hidden might be very dangerous. I think I remember hoping that I'd be able to talk well enough to keep them calm until I could get close enough to use either my pepper spray or my knife (if it was just one guy). Of course, it was just another banker who had misunderstood when to come in, lol.

In a nutshell, I have reason to believe I'd be able to remain relatively calm, and I really hope I'm right. But I obviously can't say for sure until it happens.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:42 PM   #10
Is it Friday yet?
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Dynasty, I think you may have the question a bit backwards. It should be us asking you, because it sounds like you did pretty well.

The one thing I would say is maybe a little refresher in Situational Awareness or Hazard Recognition may be in order.

Closed Thread