How do you cure your meat?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > How do you cure your meat?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2012, 06:21 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Default How do you cure your meat?

Ow does everyone here cure their meat after a kill?

Elk, deer, antelope, bear, oryx, even rabbits! How do y'all do it?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-26-2012, 06:24 AM   #2

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NM-LEO
Ow does everyone here cure their meat after a kill?

Elk, deer, antelope, bear, oryx, even rabbits! How do y'all do it?
Depends on what you call curing.

Old 05-26-2012, 06:44 AM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

What I mean is:

Hang & dry
Set in ice
Alternate between ice and smoke

Or anything else.....

Old 05-26-2012, 06:52 AM   #4

If cool out then I let my deer and such hang for at least 24 hours hide on. If not I skin and quarter em as fast as I can then hang them in the big walk in butchers freezer my grandma has. Squirrels and small game I clean and freeze as quick as possible if I'm not gonna eat em real soon like the next day.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:10 PM   #5

Liked 206 Times on 154 Posts

I alway take my deer to local meat locker and have it processed, anything else gets skinned and right in the freezer. Everything get thawed out and soaked in salt water and vinegar before cooking

Old 05-26-2012, 12:20 PM   #6

Liked 2378 Times on 1484 Posts
Likes Given: 51

With deer hang them at least 24 hours with hide on. Skin and butcher, pack meat in ice til melts, repeat for a couple days. Then wrap and freeze. Soak in cold water again before cooking.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 05-26-2012, 02:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kycol
I alway take my deer to local meat locker and have it processed, anything else gets skinned and right in the freezer. Everything get thawed out and soaked in salt water and vinegar before cooking
I don't take ANYTHING to a butcher bc you never get back the same animal or the right amount of meat. My grandma was gonna have a 1100 lb steer butchered. They told her it'd take 5 days to do complete it. I had it done totally in two. The meat tasted alot better than the one she had them do the year before that weighed the same. Plus we had 60 lbs more meat w me doing it.

Old 05-26-2012, 02:57 PM   #8

Liked 206 Times on 154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman

I don't take ANYTHING to a butcher bc you never get back the same animal or the right amount of meat. My grandma was gonna have a 1100 lb steer butchered. They told her it'd take 5 days to do complete it. I had it done totally in two. The meat tasted alot better than the one she had them do the year before that weighed the same. Plus we had 60 lbs more meat w me doing it.
You probably right but idk it last me much longer because when I do it it just 2 hams 2shoulders and the tenderloin

Old 05-26-2012, 03:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kycol

You probably right but idk it last me much longer because when I do it it just 2 hams 2shoulders and the tenderloin
I take ALL the meat I can off from something. Except the ribs on a deer. And that's only cuz I blow to many up and they get to blood shot.

Old 05-26-2012, 03:55 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1182 Times on 759 Posts
Likes Given: 2307

I cheat and carry my deer to a processor simply because its easy, and I'm not set up for it. Processing large game is easy if you're set up for it and I haven't been for sometime. I'm working on that though and I'll be set up by deer season.

As for curing meat, that's something I've really got to work on.
Jerky is pretty easy.
Canning is pretty easy but there is just something about the thought of canned venison and a lot of other meats that just isn't appealing.
Smoking produces great meats but that just seems like a lot of work and requires a lot of things like a smoke house and wood.
Curing with salt works but I wouldn't want to try and live off salt cured meats. I'm guessing it wouldn't be especially healthy?

Curing meat is something that I'm still learning and thinking about. That's also the area that I'm the weakest in when it comes to long term SHTF. Curing is also something that I plan on working on this winter. My current goal is not to buy any meats or vegetables next year and learning more about curing meat will be an important part in me reaching that goal. Of course there is freezing, but that only works so long as there is power