Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Homemade firearms?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2012, 01:27 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2056 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
Your machinist friends who can make reliable firearms would need power, probably three-phase to run their equipment. As long as the grid is up we are still a functioning society.
Lot of guns being made that work very well in the Khyber Pass without electricity.

Here is a good site to help the partisan when the SHTF

http://www.thehomegunsmith.com/

And yes this subject is what we should be talking about

Old 12-27-2012, 01:43 PM   #22

Liked 1064 Times on 688 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Chain- there are a bunch of gunmakers in Pakistan that crank out AKs using a couple of apprentices and a donkey for power. While 3 phase comes in mighty handy, John M. Browning did rather well with a rather basic shop.

As long as the knowledge rests between 2 ears, we are still in business.
That is true, C3, but how many machinist do you know that are skilled at working with donkey power today? To be honest, most of the machinest I know are computer programmers who know how to set up the CNC machine. The old lathe and mill guys are dying off with our generation.

Give a modern machinist a tin can and a two pound hammer and it would take 200 years to make a single shot shot-gun; and then, I would want you to shoot it first.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 12-27-2012, 01:46 PM   #23
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5525 Times on 2732 Posts
Likes Given: 5887

Quote:
Your machinist friends who can make reliable firearms would need power, probably three-phase to run their equipment. As long as the grid is up we are still a functioning society.
CF, one of my best friends is both a Master Toolmaker and a Farmer, Power isnt an issue as long as he can fire up the old David Brown. His personal equipment is out of the 50's and is 220 at most, dont let that fool you, he can spin a sweater out of 440 stainless for you if he's so inclined. He's forgotten more about his trade than most people will ever learn and he doesn't use CNC's, he's old school as they come and cranky as hell if you touch his tools, make suggestions or get in his way even slightly.

Funny story. My Redneck as they come, best friend and deceased Boss had a problem with skunks hanging around. Ron was an Electronics Engineer and a hunter from the day he could pick up a gun. He and my buddy Toolmaker set out to make a skunk trap with an electrically fired .38 mounted in a 4" galvanized pipe, circuit board and pseudo barrel, firing pin with a hole in the side big enough for a skunk to stick its head in and 2 optical sensors that would pick up the big head sticking through the hole and pow, dead skunk, it would run for a 2 months on a 9 volt battery and he would stick bait on the inside of the tube at the end. Just had to be careful to pull the battery before adding bait or its gonna hurt. He did get lots of skunks with it and a few squirrels.

Old 12-27-2012, 02:24 PM   #24

Liked 1064 Times on 688 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebleyFosbery38 View Post
CF, one of my best friends is both a Master Toolmaker and a Farmer, Power isnt an issue as long as he can fire up the old David Brown. His personal equipment is out of the 50's and is 220 at most, dont let that fool you, he can spin a sweater out of 440 stainless for you if he's so inclined. He's forgotten more about his trade than most people will ever learn and he doesn't use CNC's, he's old school as they come and cranky as hell if you touch his tools, make suggestions or get in his way even slightly.

Funny story. My Redneck as they come, best friend and deceased Boss had a problem with skunks hanging around. Ron was an Electronics Engineer and a hunter from the day he could pick up a gun. He and my buddy Toolmaker set out to make a skunk trap with an electrically fired .38 mounted in a 4" galvanized pipe, circuit board and pseudo barrel, firing pin with a hole in the side big enough for a skunk to stick its head in and 2 optical sensors that would pick up the big head sticking through the hole and pow, dead skunk, it would run for a 2 months on a 9 volt battery and he would stick bait on the inside of the tube at the end. Just had to be careful to pull the battery before adding bait or its gonna hurt. He did get lots of skunks with it and a few squirrels.
That is a neat story.

There are great machinest around. A good example is a nearly 80 year old gunsmith that has his shop near me. He doesn't use Numrich, he just makes the parts he needs to fix your gun. I asked why he has a thousand guns in his shop, and none are for sale. It is so he has a part to copy..... He will also make your stock, sculpt the hammer of your favorite shotgun to the shape of a squirrel, on engrave anything you can think of, and blue a weapon to perfection.

He has no apprentices. No one wants to invest the time to learn the trade; you have to get your hands dirty. His skills will die with him.

I doubt that any of his equipment is much younger than he is. He wouldn't do too well in a collapse of society though, when his heart meds gave out, he would just die.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 12-27-2012, 03:32 PM   #25

Liked 678 Times on 452 Posts
Likes Given: 678

Quote:
That is a neat story.

There are great machinest around. A good example is a nearly 80 year old gunsmith that has his shop near me. He doesn't use Numrich, he just makes the parts he needs to fix your gun. I asked why he has a thousand guns in his shop, and none are for sale. It is so he has a part to copy..... He will also make your stock, sculpt the hammer of your favorite shotgun to the shape of a squirrel, on engrave anything you can think of, and blue a weapon to perfection.

He has no apprentices. No one wants to invest the time to learn the trade; you have to get your hands dirty. His skills will die with him.

I doubt that any of his equipment is much younger than he is. He wouldn't do too well in a collapse of society though, when his heart meds gave out, he would just die.
Wish I lived closer, I would love a opportunity like that..

Numrich doesnt sell parts for the guns I like and I can never find anybody to work on them either.

I would love to be a "olde time" Gunsmith..