Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Homemade firearms?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2012, 02:29 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 41 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
you have to remember that when you fire a firearm, you are setting off a controlled explosion just inches away from your face. are you sure that you want to do this with your level of skill and questionable materials?
This is a HUGE reason why you don't want to go building firearms without the proper experience and understanding of tolerances, etc.
Three old hunters were walking through the woods one day. The first looks over at the others and says, "Windy isn't it?" The second says, "I was sure it was Thursday." The third says, "Me too! The heck with hunting, let's go get a beer!"
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 12-26-2012, 02:34 PM   #12
Camo, you are lucky to see it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1702 Times on 942 Posts
Likes Given: 5178

Quote:
Originally Posted by heymatthew View Post
This is a HUGE reason why you don't want to go building firearms without the proper experience and understanding of tolerances, etc.
This just takes all the fun out of it doesn't it. I was hoping that I could stuff some bat dung in a holler log and make a cannon.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 12-26-2012, 02:36 PM   #13
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19584 Times on 11115 Posts
Likes Given: 49298

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG7IL View Post
This just takes all the fun out of it doesn't it. I was hoping that I could stuff some bat dung in a holler log and make a cannon.
i'll watch, but from a distance!

Old 12-26-2012, 02:45 PM   #14

Liked 41 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG7IL View Post
I mean... Don't take ALL the fun out of it. We could compromise here. I'll help roll in the log, but after that, I'm out. I'll watch from a distance.
Three old hunters were walking through the woods one day. The first looks over at the others and says, "Windy isn't it?" The second says, "I was sure it was Thursday." The third says, "Me too! The heck with hunting, let's go get a beer!"

Old 12-27-2012, 08:10 AM   #15
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1473 Times on 901 Posts
Likes Given: 7206

I have seen boobytraps made with a 20 ga. shell and some simple things that are available at any hardware store. They are used primarily to protect crops of a less than legal nature. Not something anybody needs to be messing around with to say the least. There were an awfull lot of them in the state land in Onslow county when I lived in NC.

Once again, not something I would mess with. I'd say keep the shells incase you run into an abandoned 12 ga, or use them to store powder for emergency dire starting.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem parabellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 12-27-2012, 08:34 AM   #16

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I had read an article a,bout a guy making a single shot job out of some pipes with a nail as the pin. Worked kind of like a slide hammer. It had went on to say it worked but I have never seen one of thgese in action and I really don't have any desire to try it. Seems a good way to get in a but load of trouble for a little fun. Maybe afte the anarchy fuled zombie days are heree I"ll entertain a improv hand cannon..heh

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 12-27-2012, 11:01 AM   #17
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8322 Times on 3598 Posts
Likes Given: 1280

By God- I am going to buy stock in companies that make bandaids and suture materials if you guys are going to fool with this.

Yes, you CAN make a simple shotgun using pipe, nails, string and a 2X4. The guerillas in the Phillipines in WW 2 did that. Did not work that well, not that safe, but with luck you used it once, then had a nice Arisaka rifle to use.

Please understand that you cannot use just any metal pipe- stuff comes in different grades- and even then, you have a chance to experience your very own shrapnel injuries.

You know, there is a reason that gunsmiths went thru an apprenticeship under a Master?

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

heymatthew Likes This 
Old 12-27-2012, 12:10 PM   #18

Liked 1063 Times on 687 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebleyFosbery38 View Post
Interesting question Ruger, Mathew makes a reasonable point but I still have to answer it. It can be done, its damn dangerous if your not a toolmaker or at least a highly trained Machinist. The Mcguyver things sounds good if you say it fast enough but experimenting with making guns is more likely to end up creating a pipe bomb!

That said, I do have friends who could make a Mk 19 from scratch if they chose to do so, there are many folks out there with the skills needed, (another reason why banning any type of weapon is useless and stupid). That will probably be the next trick, all toolmakers must be licensed and tooling equipment registered and inspected randomly and without warning.

Experimenting with things designed to explode perfectly is not a good thing to try. The understanding of tolerances, treatments and types of raw stock are not for the tinkerer, they are taught over many years of close oversight by a master and nothing anyone could write here will change that.

Better off learning survival techniques as a whole than how to make a gun.
Your machinist friends who can make reliable firearms would need power, probably three-phase to run their equipment. As long as the grid is up we are still a functioning society.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Last edited by Chainfire; 12-27-2012 at 12:12 PM.

Old 12-27-2012, 12:13 PM   #19

Liked 2175 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
By God- I am going to buy stock in companies that make bandaids and suture materials if you guys are going to fool with this.

Quote:
Yes, you CAN make a simple shotgun using pipe, nails, string and a 2X4.
The guerillas in the Phillipines in WW 2 did that. Did not work that well, not that safe, but with luck you used it once, then had a nice Arisaka rifle to use.
I have a feelin sum wud stop reading right there & run out & buy a joint of PVC

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 12-27-2012, 12:13 PM   #20
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8322 Times on 3598 Posts
Likes Given: 1280

Chain- there are a bunch of gunmakers in Pakistan that crank out AKs using a couple of apprentices and a donkey for power. While 3 phase comes in mighty handy, John M. Browning did rather well with a rather basic shop.

As long as the knowledge rests between 2 ears, we are still in business.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.