Homemade firearms?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Homemade firearms?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2012, 05:38 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 87 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Default Homemade firearms?

Alright so let's say your in a survival situation you have 12 gauge shells but you lost the shotgun. How would you make one? That's if you have the materials to make one.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-25-2012, 07:03 PM   #2

Liked 763 Times on 487 Posts
Likes Given: 239

In a survival situation, it would not be very feasible. Make a spear first then a bow w/arrows.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 12-25-2012, 07:19 PM   #3

Location: 2,000 miles Northwest of Bill's Laundromat, Bar & Grill, CA
Liked 538 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger22lr View Post
Alright so let's say your in a survival situation you have 12 gauge shells but you lost the shotgun. How would you make one? That's if you have the materials to make one.
You wouldn't.

-Matt

heymatthew Likes This 
Old 12-25-2012, 07:30 PM   #4

Liked 41 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Call me a party pooper, but I think these are exactly the kinds of things gun owners SHOULDN'T be talking about right now. It's just further reinforcement that we crazy rednecks will do anything to shoot and kill and preserve our gun-loving way of life.

Talking about making home-made 12 gauge shotguns while the rest of the world is trying to take our guns away is just asking for trouble. Just my 2 cents...

Three old hunters were walking through the woods one day. The first looks over at the others and says, "Windy isn't it?" The second says, "I was sure it was Thursday." The third says, "Me too! The heck with hunting, let's go get a beer!"
People Like This 
Old 12-25-2012, 10:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by heymatthew
Call me a party pooper, but I think these are exactly the kinds of things gun owners SHOULDN'T be talking about right now. It's just further reinforcement that we crazy rednecks will do anything to shoot and kill and preserve our gun-loving way of life.

Talking about making home-made 12 gauge shotguns while the rest of the world is trying to take our guns away is just asking for trouble. Just my 2 cents...
I agree. Probably just adds fuel to the lib-fire.

-Matt

People Like This 
Old 12-26-2012, 06:47 AM   #6

Liked 72 Times on 42 Posts

Who's making homemade firearms? I only buy from reputable dealers, I don't even reload, to dangerous ya know. Come to think of it, I remember loosing everything on a cruise I think, hard to remember, fuzzy, screaming, yelling, running, falling, pushing, I think most all you were there, some sort of outing, haven't been able to remember much about that time period.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintsplat
Who's making homemade firearms? I only buy from reputable dealers, I don't even reload, to dangerous ya know. Come to think of it, I remember loosing everything on a cruise I think, hard to remember, fuzzy, screaming, yelling, running, falling, pushing, I think most all you were there, some sort of outing, haven't been able to remember much about that time period.
The infamous FTF cruise. What an awful day, all my guns, gone!

-Matt

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 12-26-2012, 10:59 AM   #8
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6860 Times on 3443 Posts
Likes Given: 7435

Interesting question Ruger, Mathew makes a reasonable point but I still have to answer it. It can be done, its damn dangerous if your not a toolmaker or at least a highly trained Machinist. The Mcguyver things sounds good if you say it fast enough but experimenting with making guns is more likely to end up creating a pipe bomb!

That said, I do have friends who could make a Mk 19 from scratch if they chose to do so, there are many folks out there with the skills needed, (another reason why banning any type of weapon is useless and stupid). That will probably be the next trick, all toolmakers must be licensed and tooling equipment registered and inspected randomly and without warning.

Experimenting with things designed to explode perfectly is not a good thing to try. The understanding of tolerances, treatments and types of raw stock are not for the tinkerer, they are taught over many years of close oversight by a master and nothing anyone could write here will change that.

Better off learning survival techniques as a whole than how to make a gun.

Old 12-26-2012, 02:49 PM   #9
At least my puppy loves me.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1885 Times on 1043 Posts
Likes Given: 5663

The remaining shot gun shell might best be used in support of making a fire.

A little bit of the smokeless powder may help ignite tinder. Don't use all of the powder, just little.

Or save the 12 gauge shell, for the off chance that you run into some-one who has a 12 gauge, but lost the shell.

Email your representatives USE THIS LINK

KG7IL
People Like This 
Old 12-26-2012, 03:26 PM   #10
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21994 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

you have to remember that when you fire a firearm, you are setting off a controlled explosion just inches away from your face. are you sure that you want to do this with your level of skill and questionable materials?

persoanlly i see it turning out very badly. now that we have discussed why it's a bad idea from a safety viewpoint. what about the legal aspects? now, i suggest you read up on this yourself as well, because i am not an attorney, but yes a person may build a firearm as long as it's for personal use, as long as the person is legal to own a firearm and as long as it meets the criteria of a legal firearm.