Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Home Weather Stations

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2012, 09:11 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I’m posting an exchange with a gentleman named Steve who, apparently, is quite knowledgeable on the subject, assisted me greatly, and saved me from blowing $150 on junk…
---------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve
Hi Ken

We've had models similar to that over the years, as well as wireless rain gauges and wireless outdoor thermometers. We wanted to go to the next step and get something that kept track of what the weather was right now right here, so we bought a full-fledges weather station.

After looking at inexpensive models, super expensive models, and everything in between, we decided to get a Davis Vantage Pro 2 with 24 hour FARS (fan aspirated radiation shield). I mounted the anemometer on a Radio Shack tripod and 10-foot mast on my second floor roof, and the rest of the system on a galvanized post next to my garden. Both use solar panels to charge Li-Ion batteries to transmit their signal to the console on the wall in my kitchen. I also have it connected to my computer, so I can keep track of all my readings, trends over time, rain this August vs last August, etc. I like charts

Aside from the computer connection, it is all self-powered other than occasionally replacing batteries (which I have in abundance), so it should work in most SHTF situations.

Like yours, Our weather station only tells us what is happening now (or in the past) here in my yard, and I can set alarms for any parameter, such as freezing, high wind, etc., and it does only rudimentary forecasting (in other words, completely disregard the forecast...) I rely on my First Alert WX-150 for potential hazardous weather, and the local TV web page for the forecast for the next few days.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilogulf59
That's quite a unit, what is the cost Steve?

I was thinking of one of these... https://www.lacrossetechnology.com/1612ch/index.php
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve
Quote:
That's quite a unit, what is the cost Steve?

I was thinking of one of these... https://www.lacrossetechnology.com/1612ch/index.php
Well, if ya gotta ask...

Nah, but quite a bit more than the Lacrosse that you've linked. Anywhere from $263 for the one-piece Vantage Vue to $800 for the top of the line Vantage Pro2 Plus w/24 hr FARS. Accessories cost more, such as the bits to connect it to your computer if you want that option. Not the cheapest route, but extremely accurate and long lasting. It is a BIG unit! That main piece is probably 18" tall and about 8" diameter. Here's a link to one o f the best priced sources.
Stations : Archer Trading Post, Always on Target

I read the specs, and read reviews, and decided, like many things, I'd rather spend more and get a really good one now instead of wishing I had later. People have had the previous version running for a decade or more. Reviews of the most popular inexpensive unit from Ambient Weather have they needing parts replace inside a year. But the accuracy is what really swayed me. The anemometer sends wind speed and direction to the console every 2.5 seconds. Most other models are from 20 seconds to 3 minutes. Imagine having a strong wind gust blowing, and you won't know how fast it was because your anemometer won't send out the next reading for another 40 seconds or so.

And if I'm gonna spend this much to get a good unit, I want it accurate. Here's a spec sheet comparing several models:
http://ambientweather.wikispaces.com/Weather+Station+Comparison+Guide

Probably more than you wanted to know. This was my wife and my birthday/anniversary gift to ourselves for last year.
Steve
Quote:
Steve,

Thanks man you're great...that info was a huge assist.

I am so glad I didn't waste my $$$ on a La Crosse. I will have to wait a bit to purchase but I have decided upon the Davis 6250 Vantage Vue Davis 6250 - Vantage Vue (US Version and Units) [6250] - $263.00 : Archer Trading Post, Always on Target

The Vantage Vue got an overall rating of excellent and no category rating below good.http://ambientweather.wikispaces.com/Weather+Station+Comparison+Guide?f=print

Thanks a million...

Ken

"REMEMBER – What works for you may not, necessarily, work for me. Keep an open mind!"

Old 01-10-2012, 01:54 PM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You're on the right track - the Davis 6250 has a barometer! Looks like a good unit.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:21 PM   #13
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 461 Times on 253 Posts

Y'uns dont need t'go an spend all that thar moneys. Make one fer yurself, simpul 'nuff.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:21 AM   #14

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hey folks, thank you all for the valuable input.

I believe, the more I look into it, that the Davis 6250 Vantage Vue IS the way to go for me (thanks again Steve). Davis 6250 - Vantage Vue (US Version and Units) [6250] - $263.00 : Archer Trading Post, Always on Target

A weather junkie I'm not but I like the thought of reliably and accurately monitoring the weather and having the alarm options. This setup is about as involved as I want to get. If you're going to do something, do it right...and that's why I enjoy having that La Crosse Technology Atomic Digital Wall Clock for accurate time. The Davis system seems to be right as well...

"REMEMBER – What works for you may not, necessarily, work for me. Keep an open mind!"

Old 02-06-2012, 05:41 AM   #15
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7684 Times on 4433 Posts
Likes Given: 9903

Not to drag up an old thread but go to http://www.wunderground.com/ and look up your location. If you do get a weather station consider adding it to the weather underground website.

Old 02-08-2012, 01:23 PM   #16

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I will look into that sir, thanks.

Old 03-27-2012, 05:47 AM   #17
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7684 Times on 4433 Posts
Likes Given: 9903

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithbell81 View Post
spam quote removed.
Where are you located? Nigeria?

Last edited by JonM; 03-27-2012 at 12:17 PM. Reason: quoted spam

Old 03-27-2012, 12:13 PM   #18
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5129 Times on 2671 Posts
Likes Given: 311

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Where are you located? Nigeria?
Nope. chandigarh, india

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-27-2012, 08:00 PM   #19
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 756 Times on 349 Posts
Likes Given: 362

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgeddes View Post
No barometric pressure? A rising or falling barometer gives you a day or two of forecast.

Yes it has barometric pressure also

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.