Home Security Ideas - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Home Security Ideas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2013, 04:25 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 65 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin
Being trained in maritime security and other stuff, I can tell you this. We're taught that the main component of security isn't defending from a threat, it's deterring the threat, before an attack begins.
Terrorist attacks and likewise property crimes, occur usually after some stage of planning on behalf of the attacker. You want to cause the attacker to shift priority to a softer target.

Here's an example. 2 criminals drive through your neighborhood, looking to break in. They see bushes and shrubs away from your house offering no place to duck and hide from passing cars. They see security lights, and or motion lights. they notice an ADT alarm sign, maybe a security camera or security camera sign...
They choose another target, because why risk it? too much hassle, UNLESS you've gone blabbing about something they might want.
Like if you're a crack dealer, and keep a kilo in the living room. Then, the reward might be worth the risk. Or if you tell everyone you have a rare Picasso on the wall.
While the above are exaggerations, the point is to keep your mouth shut and deceive people as to what you have, even your friends.

You'd be surprised. In my youth, some 18 years ago, I got into mischief, and you'd be surprised how word gets out.

You tell your best friend "Hey, I've got tons of guns, and hidden gold."

Your best friend says to his wife over dinner, "Man, if zombies ever attack, we're going to Mike's house, he has an arsenal, and gold." Well, his 12 year old son hears that, and guess what... now every single one of his friends do too.

Things like that.

A lot of crimes like home invasions and burglaries happen by people who have worked in your house, like an electrician, plumber, whatever.
Make a show of force to those people too...
I don't care if you have to lie. If the plumber shows up, you should crack the door and say "Hey, give me a minute to lock my Rottweiler up, he bites the crap out of people he doesn't know."
Things like that... You should get the word out. Because if there is a burglary being planned, their conversation should be like "What about that dudes house?" "Nah, man. They got dogs and cameras and alarms and ****."

If the friendly neighbor asks why you're installing security, your answer should be, "Well, we don't really have anything worth taking, but I want to keep burglars away."

Just things to keep in mind.
That is a good point. And if you really do have a dog, even if its the nicest dog in the world don't let the contractor in until you secure your man eating dog. Also make sure that your family members do not use the dogs name around the contractor. The less people know about your security the better. There are somethings that you do want to advertise and some you don't.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ كفري

Mosin Likes This 
Old 01-13-2013, 07:36 PM   #12

Liked 3858 Times on 1863 Posts
Likes Given: 701

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhc View Post
That is a good point. And if you really do have a dog, even if its the nicest dog in the world don't let the contractor in until you secure your man eating dog. Also make sure that your family members do not use the dogs name around the contractor. The less people know about your security the better. There are somethings that you do want to advertise and some you don't.
Exactly. You can project an illusion of force, even if you don't have it.
While the horrible cases of robberies gone wrong make the news, in my experience, it's mostly kids getting into mischief. They're the ones that roll up and slash your tires/bash your mailbox, maybe break in and steal some stuff they see...

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

Old 01-13-2013, 10:29 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1220 Times on 786 Posts
Likes Given: 2459

Lots of good ideas listed by everyone! Certainly a lot to think about.

Old 01-13-2013, 11:48 PM   #14
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1972 Times on 1068 Posts
Likes Given: 586

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin View Post
Exactly. You can project an illusion of force, even if you don't have it.
While the horrible cases of robberies gone wrong make the news, in my experience, it's mostly kids getting into mischief. They're the ones that roll up and slash your tires/bash your mailbox, maybe break in and steal some stuff they see...
It is not always kids doing the mailbox bashing. I caught some adults smashing mailboxes and it surprised me. Neighbors can be your best security. Tell them to call your cell phone or the police if they see something fishy. I saw a car take down my mailbox and called the police. I described the car and told them the car was proceeding down the street with a 2nd car following. They were too busy/lazy to respond to a mailbox call and the driver (stolen car) did well over $50k damage before he high centered it in a yard and abandoned it. Mailboxes were not his only target. I had some very mad neighbors when they found out I had called it in and the police took an hour to respond. This was Kalifornistan so you could not do anything but call police. We had a glass company that hired someone to break windows on parked cars to get business. He got caught.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Mosin Likes This