Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Survival & Sustenance Living Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   Home defense shotgun ammo (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/home-defense-shotgun-ammo-42547/)

Theblakester 05-16-2011 06:55 AM

Home defense shotgun ammo

Specifically, what do you use and why?
brand, size, type, etc?
slug, buckshot, bird shot, "less lethal rounds"?
This round followed by that round?
Do you have certain choices due to certain circumstances?

onemanriot 05-16-2011 11:36 AM

Hey Blakester,
Just from a personal standpoint, I use 00Buck shot. The basement of my house has large egress windows which makes it the most logical point of unauthorized entry when combined with the landscaping and positioning of the front and side doors. Fortunately the basement is more of a family room and man cave so no one lives down there. This combined with its cinderblock walls practically eliminates worry involved with projectiles penetrating or missing the intended target and passing through to occupied rooms. With that in mind I keep my 870 loaded with 3 inch 00Buck (first three rounds out of the tube, meaning the last three to be loaded into the tube) because It is usually what I have on hand for hunting/defense when I’m a field. If its good enough to stop a cougar, its good enough to stop a man. My thinking/hope is that if the engagement doesn’t take place in the basement than I would be able to use my 1911 with hollow points (for obvious reasons regarding over penetration and collateral/property damage). I would prefer to use a long gun over a pistol but when it comes down to it I will use whatever is necessary (in the basement or not) to eliminate the threat. Keeping that in mind, the rest of my shells in the 870 and onboard in the saddle are 2 inch #4Buck. A little anemic for my taste but, I believe, a better alternative for use up-stairs (in my house). The first three rounds can be pump-purged out of the gun, time permitting, if I need to use it upstairs without the cinderblock walls. I think your best bet is to use what you are most comfortable with. If you live alone and rarely have guests, my belief is a heavier load may be what you need. If you have a family or frequent guests filling your other rooms, you may want something lighter to hopefully mitigate the risk of penetrating the walls and your loved ones. Bottom line, asses your living arrangements as well as skill with your firearm(s) and compare it to the characteristics of available ammunition. Find a harmony between the two and practice with it (probably not in the house though :)) and then sleep peacefully…..and lightly, knowing your better equipped now to handle the things that would do you harm. Wow, a little long winded but I hope that helps.
-Riot

dnthmn2004 05-16-2011 12:42 PM

Currently, my home defense shotty is loaded with Winchester PDX1. I've done some pretty extensive testing at different ranges because I had my doubts, and it prints very well on a consistent basis.

I'm sure there is plenty of other choices, you just need to figure out what will work in your situation. Over penetration is a concern with any home defense firearm. The Box O' Truth will help.

bizy 05-16-2011 08:04 PM

12 Gauge Pump.

I use a 12 ga pump loaded with 3" high brass #? shot that is .320 diameter. If you put 2 rounds on target, the target would no longer be a threat in the basement or any where else.

Seven 05-16-2011 11:08 PM

what do you use?
00B
why?
Does the job on deer
brand, size, type, etc?
Remington Express 3" and 2"
"less lethal rounds"?
never
This round followed by that round?
Sorta. 1 3" the rest 2". 1 more fits that way.
Do you have certain choices due to certain circumstances?
nope

MGH 05-17-2011 01:25 AM

I currently have Winchester PDX1 in my 870 as well.

I think I might put some slugs in there every other shell in case I have to be accurate for some reason.

armsmaster270 05-17-2011 07:17 AM

All P.D. issue 2 3/4 00 buck

OzarkRecluse 05-17-2011 01:56 PM

Alternating 00 and slug shells in mine.

wmille01 05-17-2011 05:13 PM

got a couple boxes of bean bag rounds from cheaper then dirt magazine a while back, mostly concerned with over penetration of shot. When I first got a box we went and tested on dry wall at about 10 yards it busted up the dry wall but really didn't destroy it. Tested it on me had to go to the hospital to make sure I didn't have a broken rib(s). Didn't breakem just really bruzed, after that I will not test less then lethal anything on myself did it with mace and a tazer not at the same time but beanbags is where I draw the line.

orangello 05-17-2011 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmille01 (Post 506037)
Tested it on me had to go to the hospital to make sure I didn't have a broken rib(s). Didn't breakem just really bruzed, after that I will not test less then lethal anything on myself did it with mace and a tazer not at the same time but beanbags is where I draw the line.

I think that is why most places call it "less lethal" rather than "less than lethal", because that stuff could still kill you if misused. :p