Home Defense Dog? - Page 9
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Home Defense Dog?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2008, 06:34 PM   #81
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
If you grab your wife, and your dog by the scruff of the neck, drag them both over to your car and bung them both in the trunk slamming the lid down. Leave them in there for four hours, open the trunk, who's glad to see you?........
ACTUALLY ,,THIS LAST TIME I TRIED IT,, THE DOG WAS THE ONE UPSET FOR SOME REASON

TODO SE APAGA.TODO SE ACABA.TODO SE PAGA.EL FUEGO SOLO SE APAGA SIN LENYA.

Old 05-31-2008, 05:48 AM   #82

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

laugh at me if you want, but my sister got a lasa apso (sp?) bichon mix last year. due to her being negligent in care of the dog, i took the dog into my care. i get lots of crap for having a lap dog, and would never trust that dog to protect me. but she is aces at barking at people coming into my apartment building. shes smart though, and the neighbors just yell hi to her through the door and she shuts up, but she would still alert me to an intruder. plus, girls love lap dogs.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:55 PM   #83

Does anyone have any thoughts as to the border collie breed? I have a nearly 1 1/2 year old male, who is great with people, and WELL exercised 5-6 days a week.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:04 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scud View Post
Does anyone have any thoughts as to the border collie breed? I have a nearly 1 1/2 year old male, who is great with people, and WELL exercised 5-6 days a week.
they taste just like chicken

Old 06-26-2008, 09:14 PM   #85

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I like my boxers. They are very short haired(good for hot TX weather) and are great in the house. My male has tried to defend because a neighbor lady slapped at me in jest. I barely grabbed him in time. He has only growled at one person unprovoked. I later found out that he had changed his name 4 times and had been a drug dealer previously. Even as a puppy(see below at 10 months of age), he looked like he wanted to rip someones leg off, but he is great with my 3 kids. He is 7 now and still can catch rabbits.(an added benefit if SHTF) I also have a beagle for a warning system. Boxers are quiet.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:29 PM   #86

Yes I Too Have A Rat Terrier She Doesn't Miss Anything Very Good Alarm Dog!072.jpg

Old 07-02-2008, 12:11 AM   #87

other than a very high shrill barking toy poodle i don't have a real defense dog, BUT, my wife is going thru the CHANGE, and i know of no better defense!!! Help'em if they hit in the hot flashes!!!!

I live about 100 yds from the highway, and that dog can hear anything that hits the gravel drive before i do and any other noise he is suspecious of he alerts.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:44 AM   #88

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Here's my "puppy" - He seems to keep the UPS guy on his toes....

JD

Old 07-02-2008, 04:08 AM   #89

Here's my defence. A Red-Nosed Pit Bull, a french bulldog, a papillion, a dachshund a J.R. Terrier, and a little yippie long haired chihuahua, all from the pound. You have to be able to draw the line between being agressive towards who wants to hurt you and those that you call friends and neighbors.
What do you want it for, first alert, discouragement by barking, or physically attacking. If you train him to be agressive torwards non family members, it'll be hard to change his mentality when UPS shows up.
When someone comes to the house, TheyAll GO Off!By the time the BG is deciding if he wants to tangle, I'm already out of bed with my Mossy 500. IMO, a vocal dog is easier to handle than a dog that you want to be agressive to strangers but not friend and family. Also remember that generally the larger the breed the shorter the life span Boxers tend to have skin issues and have a habit of sprouting up benign tumors and cysts, and like most large breeds they're issues are usually luxating patellas and hip dysplaisia. Talk about fun P.T. after one of those surgeries on a large breed..
I say get a few different breeds and sizes and let 'em bark at the door when someone visits. You cant easily get them to bark at certain hours of the night so you'll just have to listen to the barking everytime someone visits.
Someone breaking in could shoot my one big dog but God help him trying to find 6 dogs between5# and 40# in the dark

Old 07-02-2008, 10:47 AM   #90

i just adopted another pup. hound/shepard mix. statistically, having any type of dog lowers your chances of being robbed. a woman walking a dog is less likely to get assaulted too. i'm glad people got paid good money to conduct that study and tell me that