Home Defense Dog? - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Home Defense Dog?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2007, 12:52 PM   #41
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2865 Times on 1492 Posts
Likes Given: 254

Default Home Defensev dog

There is another point of view I heard on Michael Savage's radio show on my way home last night. Small dogs are better home defense dogs because (A) they are harder to shoot (smaller targets) and (B) They tend to be less secure and make noise at the slightest disturbance.
Allegedly the small dogs were not intended to be cute. They were intended to be packs of burglar alarms for royalty. If an intruder got in he was met my a dozen little sets of teeth that could raise an alarm and distract the intruder long enough for the palace guards to arrive.

Just a thought. I have 5 dogs ranging from a 6 pound ****zu to a 150 pound Mastiff. I try to cover all the bases.

Old 11-21-2007, 06:57 PM   #42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default The original question

Had lots of answers from experienced handlers here but I think the answer should be what is best for the guy looking to buy an all around dog. I think those with experience will rule out the Mal and others for always being in drive. If this guy were to go to a local Schutzhund club and pick up a 3 that is ready to retire at 5 years of age because the owner is starting another dog he may find just what he is looking for. And cheaply if he can show it will be well cared for. Really all he needs is a dog that "shows" well and works in prey and not defense drive so he doesn't have to worry about something going wrong with the kid next door. The GSD is an all around dog as long as they are not from American lines. Chech and German lines I am sure most will agree have the clearest heads. As long as the dog is not "washed out" from a newbie handler then get the ugliest dog that is clean and known not to back down to a sleeveless bite.

Old 02-17-2008, 09:12 AM   #43

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would choose a European bred GSD. A great all around dog that has proven itself in the military, law enforcement and homes.

Old 02-18-2008, 01:58 AM   #44

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've had all kinds of dogs. Some purebreds, some mutts. Almost all were great. Had a Great Dane, he was locked in the house because I was working on his pen. Got home from work, window was broken, blood everywhere. Checked him out, not a scratch on him. Friend had another Dane. Dog was inside, someone came by, started pushing my friend around. Dog jumped through the living room window to protect my friend. You don't often here about Great Danes being good guard dogs, but I'm gonna tell ya, don't sell em short.

Old 02-19-2008, 02:31 AM   #45

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You need to be practical and think defense-in-depth. A dog, any dog, is a good addition to other security measures (keeping your mouth shut about your guns, keeping everything gun related out of sight of those who come into the home, good locks, secure windows, monitored alarm). The type isn't very important, although a large breed is probably more intimidating. We have a standard poodle. He's 55 lbs., so is a large breed.

Follow us on Facebook! facebook.com/worldbayonets

The bayonet cannot be abolished for the reason, if for no other, that it is the sole and exclusive embodiment of that willpower which, alone, both in war and everyday life, attains its object.—General M. I. Dragomirov

Old 02-19-2008, 04:49 AM   #46
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marysdad View Post
You need to be practical and think defense-in-depth. A dog, any dog, is a good addition to other security measures (keeping your mouth shut about your guns, keeping everything gun related out of sight of those who come into the home, good locks, secure windows, monitored alarm). The type isn't very important, although a large breed is probably more intimidating. We have a standard poodle. He's 55 lbs., so is a large breed.
Standard Poodles are pretty bad ass. One of my platoon sergeants had two when I was in the army.

Old 02-19-2008, 04:55 AM   #47

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Some dogs are definitely better choices than others.

I'll take a European bred GSD over a Pekingese any day.

The Peke is only good as a noisemaker, and they're certainly not going to intimidate an assailant, who'll just give it a good kick.

Whereas the GSD's powerful bark will both wake you up AND intimidate a perp. The German Shepherd is also large and powerful enough to take down virtually any attacker.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:46 AM   #48

I found this at www.olegvolk.com and thought I would share it here.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:37 AM   #49

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I got 2 rotties in my back yard, had them for awhile now, they will eat anything they can grab or catch lol Gas meter reader learned not to rest his hand on the fence while reading the meter, they had his jacket but not his arm or he be a gooner.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:42 PM   #50

Default .OK here is your anser...

..Go get yourself a Red-White Aussie very important
must be Red-white, Male full-blooded raise him young he
will go all the way with you,but be-ware thay get Agresive
and very loyle to one member of the family must control him