Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Home Defense Dog?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2007, 02:10 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear_Down View Post
Perhaps I can shed some light on some myths and facts on guard dogs.
First off, Before some one presumes I am just popping off. I am a K-9 schutzhund trainer and decoy for prison and police dogs.

Dogs associate everything. More mail men paper carriers and meter readers get bit because the dog viewes them as an unwelcome guest, Because they come to the door but are never allowed to cross into the DEN.
The quickest way to make a dog aggressive towards others is to De socialize them.(confine).
Some breeds are bread for guard and that's all one has to do is to encourage it ,But becarfull what you wish these are weapons with a mind of there own.
The presa canero to those who do not know is known as the cane corso they were bred in Rome to fight Lions for sport in the coliseums. The breed itself is loyal to family and have a need to be with them. But strangers BEWARE.
My all time favorite guard dog is the caucasian mountain dog .
average 36" at the shoulders 200Lb's. No guard training needed .
They know no fear and dislike every one and every thing except the pack.
That sounds like the kind of friend everyone should have. Remember that you have to be the pack leader and not just one of the pack.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:58 PM   #22

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Our shepherd/chow/wolf is primarily a family dog and she is very protective of her pack (wife, our grown kids & me). She is obedience trained but not agression trained. On a regular basis I reminder her who the pack leader is. No, not my wife! Me.

She has on at least two occasions we know of, protected our home from unwelcome intruders when we were not home. One was a friend of my son's (10+ years ago)who knew the dog and "invited himself in" thinking she wouldn't go for him.

The other is a realitor last January who ignored the "call before showing" warning on the listing. The funny part is, it was those clients who were chased from the house, who bought the house.
Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 10-28-2007, 03:38 AM   #23

I looked into the perfect dog and came away with the Blue Heeler ( Cattle Dog or Austrlian Cattle Dog ) make no mistake about the word cattle...
if any one remembers the movie Mad Max with Mel Gibson the dog in that movie was a cattle dog a breed from australia, bred with wild Dingo....
very tuff a loyal dog weighs about 45 o 55 lbs..perfect for car rides and inside the house...the average life is bout 11 to 14 years...
They also come in a red tone as well as salt n pepper....i have one for 9 years and would never get another...

they are classified as a working dog...a friend of mine has three and you would be killed if you jumped his fence, three is to many they are a one dog family in a house but if you have land than two would be fine...

Just cckem out..see what you think..

Vince

Last edited by vince99; 10-28-2007 at 03:43 AM.

Old 10-28-2007, 07:51 PM   #24

Default Manwork Dogs

There is no dog that dosen't need training, anybody with experience in the field of dog training will tell you that. It dosn't matter really what breed you choose, mixed or GSD or Mal whatever, but I reluctantly felt that I should just point a few things out from my prospective.

From what I understand you are looking for a manwork trained dog to live in your home which will give a level of protection to you and your family? Cost should not be an issue because believe me you get in a working dog what you pay for.

A good European GSD would be a good choice, forget a Mal they are too high maintance. The training must be undertake with the guidence of a proficient trainer and always remember obedience is the hub that holds everything together. Once you have a manwork trained dog you must continue training to keep up the standard. I agree with some of the comments here and there are many opinions but before you make a decision on the type or breed of dog, please remember he will be with you hopefully for quite sometime, and he will be at the heart of the family.
If you buy a trained dog you need to see it work, and it to be socialable. All dogs are naturally cautious of man, we are mean, aggressive, intellegent, powerfull and stand on our hind legs. We are bigger than him and formidable.......with a manwork trained dog we have removed his inhibitions, and taught him that he can confidently take on a human and win! There are dozens of people setting themselves up to train 'protection dogs' and bite work looks impressive, it is easy to get a dog to bite, it's the getting him not to bite can be a problem. A good vocal dog who is obedient may be all you require in the family, once bonded he will be naturally protective.

I am not guru in this business, no one is, we learn something about them every day. But I do have a good deal of exerience with LE canines so please take my comments in the spirit in which they are offered...........

I currently have one personal duel trained German Shepherd (GSD) Police GP/Explosive detector dog, 4 English Working Cocker Spaniels (Explo) and 5 Springers under training for narcotic detection duties for clients.

David..............

Old 10-29-2007, 06:13 AM   #25

I used to have 3 dogs in my old house, a Lab, a German Shepherd and a Chihuahua. The Chihuahua went absolutely nuts when anyone came near my house, which in turn woke up my German Shepherd who stood at the door with teethe beared. The Chihuahua was a rescue dog that I picked up, he was loyal from the start. THe Shepherd was a trained K-9 that worked at my side on a daily basis, he was just a heavy sleeper. Oh, and then there was the lab, as long as the intruder didn't run off with his food dish, the lab wouldn't pay him any attention!

Old 11-08-2007, 12:45 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by FALPhil View Post
I will take that challenge. I never met a dog I couldn't co-opt. PM me with the location and I will show you how its done. At the most, it will take me 8 days.
Would you mind elaborating on this? You could convince most dogs to be your friend in the back yard with food. I am not going to give my address, but I do not think you could convince my female Pit to be your friend. The male – maybe, with food, but he is a 95 pound ridgeback mix. The female is Texas bred to pull; she is 60 pounds, well socialized, and very intelligent. She alerts us when someone pulls into the drive, and does not stand at the door with teeth bared, but eight feet from the door barking, and teeth bared.

Old 11-08-2007, 12:54 AM   #27

I am a devoted Rottweiler owner and have been for years. That said, they are not the best dog for defence. Thier lovers, not fighters. They are also pretty damn scarry looking when they are staring you down, even if they won't jump you. Which gives me the time I need to arm myself. If I were inclined to use a dog for home defence, I would probably go with a Lab. They are tough, and tenatious. But you have to be damn careful with an agressive dog, not only is it a threat to your own family, it can lead you to financial hardship when it goes after an innocent for reasons known only to it.

Old 11-08-2007, 01:05 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebrand45 View Post
I am a devoted Rottweiler owner and have been for years. That said, they are not the best dog for defence. Thier lovers, not fighters. They are also pretty damn scarry looking when they are staring you down, even if they won't jump you. Which gives me the time I need to arm myself. If I were inclined to use a dog for home defence, I would probably go with a Lab. They are tough, and tenatious. But you have to be damn careful with an agressive dog, not only is it a threat to your own family, it can lead you to financial hardship when it goes after an innocent for reasons known only to it.

I do not think I have ever known a Lab to attack, or defend anything but his food bowl, as someone has already stated.

On a side note, chickens, or guinnea hens are probably the best watch dogs.

Old 11-08-2007, 06:15 PM   #29
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2609 Times on 1373 Posts
Likes Given: 203

Peacocks make great early warning devices. Geese and ducks will give an intruder hell.

Old 11-09-2007, 12:23 AM   #30

if your outside alot, cats make great early warning systems.
they dont make noise but they do move around to indicate things